Show your support for a New MLS team in Houston here!

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by bford, Dec 2, 2004.

1. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. It took me a long time to get through all of the Club America posts. With everything at a standstill or dead for now, I thought it would be good to have a thread stating that we really want a team in Houston.

I would prefer it to be a brand new team. Reliant would be nice, but that team would most likely have to be owned by the Texans ownership. They are a great group of owners though, first class all the way, so that might not be too bad.

I do wonder about Mattress Mac also. If that guy can get the city excited about Tennis, couldn't he do it for soccer also. I know they have had the biggest names in Tennis, so that helps a lot. Still I think his ability to promote would help tremendously for the fifteen or so home dates an MLS team has.

Anyway, if you want a team in Houston, post about your dreams and hopes for the team here.

How about Texas United??? or Houston SC of FC or FC Houston.... someone out there is better at this name thing than I am.

peace
    bford

2. Bayern1986

Bayern1986 New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Houston, Texas

Houston needs a MLS team, we are one of the best soccer cities in the country and it would be great if we get our own team, I think FC Houston sounds good for 06.

3. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I don't care if they name the team the Texas Houstonians or the Flamin' Green Chile Bandits, I'm buying season tickets in 2006!

OK, maybe a little too optimistic.

4. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Apollos has always been my favorite...

5. bford

bford Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. The name is not incredibly important, just some good ownership and a chance to go to games and root for a club. I just can't make myself root for Dallas yet, but if for some terrible reason we get overlooked. I will.

I firmly believe that Houston will strongly support an MLS team. Get it done.

thanks
    bford

6. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Definitely need a team here. Bring it.

Flamin' Green Chile Bandits? Why does my @$$ hurt when I read that? :D

Although green might be good color to start with - who else has it?

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber himself has always stated that, "MLS isn't complete until a team is in Houston"

With our unique blend of culture here that can best be summed up in the food "Tex-Mex"....and who doesn't like Tex-Mex???. I am beyond confident that if a MLS team is marketed as a cultural icon of our special heritage and that spirit is played out in the beautiful game, we WILL all have a damn good club that knows it is supported by its people.

Within the legacy of Texas is the Tejas indians, the 300 years that Spanish culture was grown in these parts and our fight for independence from Santa Anna culminating in the victory at San Jacinto in April of 1836. Let Dallas be FC Dallas and be the team of North Texas, where no fighting was done!
    Team Houston IMHO could be for all that was special about South Texas.

I would like the team to be South Texas 1836.

C'mon McNair...this is a cross cultural powderkeg of support just waiting for the beautiful game and a team of our own.

8. lperez808

lperez808 Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Houston
    My pick for a club name would be FC Houston. We could tie it in with the Texans if McNair ever decided to own the franchise. Use Toro as our mascot, FC Houston Toros. CD America USA would be awesome too, (Viva el America!) if they owned our club. Actually it doesn't matter as long as we have a team. I only ask that we make our Jerseys the best in all of MLS. Compete with D.C. United and stay away from Burn, Earthquakes, and Wizards Replicas. MLS in Houston im all for it

9. bford

bford Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well Dallas is already using a Bull head in their logo. I'm not sure if the Toros nickname would hold up as much now. Although I love the name. I really thought that was going to be teh name of the Texans, but I'm used to it now. Seems like Rochester is already thought to be getting the Wizards. You never know though, maybe Hunt can persuade McNair to give it a try. I just think it would really work well in Houston. Maybe we could get a sweet SSS just across I59 from Minute Maid and the Toyota Center or something like that.

come one MLS, do the right thing.

bford

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured this was as good a place as any for this article - great piece in today's Chron by John Lopez about the need for soccer fields inside the Beltway and the local community and political reactions.

City failing to fill need for soccer facilities

This piece is part of a series:

11. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good article from John Lopez. Who knew there were so many frisbee golf courses?

12. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    How about Texas United??? or Houston SC of FC or FC Houston.... someone out there is better at this name thing than I am.
    [/QUOTE]

What about TEXAS NATIONAL TEAM (TNT) 100 % Texas born players some kind of MEXICAN CHIVAS for the mexicans, with a develpmental center at BEAR CREEK, the only thing foreign on the team could be the coaches and trainers, at the begining they could play at University of Houston facilities or at a renovated DELMAR stadium on 290.....
    (TEXAS NATIONAL TEAM is a register name)

13. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

I like it! But shouldn't the development facility be in the Klein/Meyer Park area? Been a long time since I lived in Houston, but that's where I remember the soccer hot bed being in town. The high school and club teams there seem to be top flight. Or am I confusing the two, or is Bear Creek and Klein area soccer programs related?

Ah heck whatever! I like TNT name and the concept.

Makes this Texan up here in Chicago proud.

14. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Houston Rovers

A bit of the eurosnob, plus a tie in to the space program.

15. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Texas National Team would be a great name! For short, we could call them the Texas Nationals!

16. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If your target is the suburbs getting the white upper middle class then Meyer Park would be a great development facility. There are 29 fields out there and Klein Soccer Club is actually looking for more because of all of the kids in the club.

If you were going after the Latino demographic then Bear Creek would be your pick. They are two entirely different clubs. Bear Creek has about 30 fields but turns into a swamp when it rains.

17. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bear Creek turns into a swamp when someone spits, let alone when it rains.

Who uses Delmar right now? I ask as I have never seen it used for anything other than as a school bus parking lot... But then, I'm usually driving past it too early in the day to know what goes on there in the evenings...

18. CeltOne

CeltOne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i love 'south texas 1836'

19. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    I would love to see a team land in Houston. In fact, the more teams in Texas the better. (SA could use one too) I hope the city and league can get their stuff together and figure something out. Hopefully it will be a new team, as I think it would be better for the league to not have to move teams, but would a team be more successful in Houston than SJ or KC? Probably. As far as the team name goes, I like the South Texas 1836 that seems pretty original, and the fact that Texas was its own nation for a short time seems like a source of pride for our state. Good idea, and good luck!!!

20. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it!!!

HOUSTON Rovers FC

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arf! Arf!

I understand why some people may like Rovers, but it's probably not a good choice.

Unless you follow English soccer and have heard of Blackburn or Bristol or wherever else they have Rovers, you have no idea why a team would pick a dog's name ("Here Rover, here boy, here Rover, good boy!").

Rovers isn't really a traditional soccer name anywhere else. In comparison, the name "America" is used by clubs all over Latin America. I can think of about three Americas in Brazil alone, plus famous teams named America in Colombia as well as Mexico. I'm not arguing that's enough reason why America should be the name of a team in Houston - just pointing out that it's at least more widely used than Rovers. America is a particularly more familiar and traditional name among most of the people you'd likely find at home games for an MLS team in Houston.

The space link isn't likely to make a connection for most people. Even here in Houston, I doubt many people would quickly and easily associate Rovers with lunar or martian rovers.

Rovers would be about as good a choice as Hotspurs. :D

22. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    Club America - Houston
    Club America de Houston

23. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would like bear creek better. It's easy enough to get to from I 10 and I 59. It would be a better fit.

24. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Houston franchise should have no Mexican link to it!! It should be purley American

25. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another possible name I heard on another board is Houston Republic, in honor of the former Republic of Texas, whose capital was in Houston for a time.