Should We Allow Results in Titles?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I haven't heard a single compelling reason to discard the (R) policy. I have heard several arguments for why it has marginal benefits, or comments from people who don't care about hearing results. But I have yet to hear a good reason for how it improves the site.

Fewer newbies yelled at? Maybe marginally helpful. However, imposing some discipline on newbies early may make them more conscientious members who realize this is a somewhat different site than others they may use, due to good heavy moderating.

More entertaining thread titles? Sorry. I don't read Playboy for the table of contents, either.

(Okay, I don't read Playboy at all. But using the New Yorker in that analogy wouldn't have worked.)

I rarely watch ANY games live, unless I'm sitting in a seat at the Meadowlands. I know I'm gambling when I come here, but when I don't care much (for instance, the Man City match was spoiled for me on Monday), it's OK. But I definitely enjoy my life more with the chance that I won't get spoiled most of the time.

2. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Reeeped.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Sure. But even there we have some threads with implicit spoilers in their titles. Although I suppose if you're not a regular on that board, those titles wouldn't mean as much to you, and therefore might not be considered spoilers. I say that, yet I'm still very much in favor of the [R] policy in some form. The [R] policy isn't a panacea. It's not an oppresive affront to free expression either.

And ...

Yes, the [R] policy is at bottom a courtesy. Some people seem to dismiss it because of that. It seems they just don't want to be bothered. But if you ask me a little more courtesy on BigSoccer.com wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally they have pretty strict policies. The goal is to avoid spoiling the content of future shows, not so much to protect viewers who have recorded shows that already aired, so it's not a perfect comparison--we can never spoil the results of a future soccer match. Usually there's a specific place where discussion of spoilers is allowed and they are off-limits pretty much everywhere else.

5. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Right. Getting fed up of all this carry on about football scores. Dont come on a football message board were you are accidently gunna bump into the score. Its your own fault. Be an Adult and stop your ********ing moaning please. Some of us have bigger problems than finding out results.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's not always the complete story. Some shows are shown on different schedules in different countries. So the spoiler policies on TV message boards are set up also to protect those viewers seeing the show on a later schedule.

But, yes, TV message boards have extremely strict spoiler policies.

7. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Don't post in this forum if you don't like other ppls opinons. I think that's why ppl don't like you that much.

8. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    no

BigSoccer should absolutely not allow results in thread titles. There is a long-standing policy that is based on common courtesy and the policy works works well, thank you very much.

The only reason this question has been raised at this time appears to be newsbots which, as others have pointed out, are just automated newbies and are even stupider than the stupidest newbie. Sheesh! Maybe newsbots should get cards. If somebody wants news they should go to a news site.

I realise that rudeness is fashionable in some circles and there are always advocates of rudeness in every crowd but I don't see why BigSoccer should make rudeness a website policy.

Come on! Thread titles appear in a person's control panel if that person is subscribed to a particular forum. You're going to tell someone they can't open their control panel to see what's been posted in Other Sports or see if they have any PMs because it's BS policy to spoil results and there might be a result of taped college game in a thread title. That's just stupid.

On the other hand, while I don't think there should be spoilers in thread titles, I've never had a whole lot of sympathy for anyone who complains about a spoiler within a thread, even if the title has no 'R' in it, as long as the thread is in the appropriate forum. Results within a thread are a totally different issue than results in thread titles and the two issues should be kept separate. It's just common sense that if you go to the college forum and open a thread, you just might find the result you wanted to avoid.

So, there's common courtesy and common sense, both of which are a less common than their names suggest.

Nobody has posted a single good reason for allowing results in thread titles (except maybe that change is good no matter how bad it is), and several people have posted good reasons for not allowing them.

It's an open and shut case.

The current policy is a good one and it works well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    With 69% of the vote, the 'no's are way in front..........

10. EvWill

EvWill Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Fort Washington, MD
    That's absolutely right, there's a specific spoiler thread or sometimes the use of delineators that would blackout the text of a spoiler to protect those who don't want advance word. No spoilers are ever allowed in thread titles. FWIW, I've never seen a debate outside of unmoderated Usenet television groups about spoiler policies for shows. The private websites such as Television Without Pity generally rule from the top down, the mods say what goes and the rest of us go along or go somewhere else.

11. muskiesrock35

muskiesrock35 Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Keep it the same.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I will just repeat...

I find it sad that some stupid RSS Bot brings this whole issue up from Huss.

Get rid of the freaking Bot. Who cares. Nobody pays attention to it anyway.

There, solves the problem and we move on to more important things...

Like what really is Landon Donovan's nickname.

13. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Better still threaten him with a banning via email and then he will probably piss off.

14. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i respectfully disagree. no results in thread titles. end of story.

and if it means getting rid of the 'newsbots', get rid of them. we all know how to search the web.

15. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I can accept other peoples opinions, but when something is so blatently obvious as this, it just annoys me a little bit.

16. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    This one is a no-brainer. Keeping the [R] policy in place has few drawbacks, and eliminating it WILL cause games to be unecessarily spoiled. And once a game is spoiled, it's spoiled forever.

It's not just a matter of taping games and watching them later- the international matches on Yahoo, for example, are shown on 24 hour delay. And following bigsoccer PBP after the fact can be entertaining too (that's how I "watched" the 1999 u-17 championships).

Obviously there have to be some limits - no [R] required for untelevised preseason friendlies, reserve matches, and so forth; no punishment except for repeat and deliberate offenders; and a 48 hour limit seems reasonable. But on the whole, the policy solves a real potential problem, and doesn't create any other significant problems. There's no reason to consider getting rid of it.

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the "Leave it alone" camp.

I sometimes visit here to follow PBP for Arsenal matches not available on tv or at pubs. I'd hate to have to come across scores for every other game (including ones only available here on delayed broadcasts) while trying to follow the Arsenal game. Giving away results in thread titles has no upside and plenty of downside.

Lets not discuss this for another decade, ok? ;)

18. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That seems fair in my house sunshine.

19. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Mel B,

You always seem to get yourself in a bit of bother over one issue or many issues with other people.

With this one Huss as asked us for our opinion and our thoughts on whether or not we want results in titles.

You say that you don't want it. Hey that's your opinion but when somebody else says something that is right and that is a stated fact you decided to have a go, which to me wasn't the right thing to do.

Which is why I said if you don't have anything to say in this thread then don't bother making a big song and dance when somebody who knows what they are on about states a fact.
    Often the best thing to do is to stick to the topic, give your opinion on the topic and then get out.

20. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    See. But then i wouldn't be me sunshine and i rock.

21. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Consensus seems pretty clear - I'll leave thsi poll up for another 2 days. Then we'll debate how quickly you want the bots canned.

22. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Honestly Huss. I love football more than my ex-wife and the Bots are ********ing wank.

Ps. I couldn't have said it any easier.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be a bunch of "now!" responces.

24. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I think there will be more "yesterday" posts. :D

25. Huss