Should UEFA establish a salary cap?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by mookhead, Dec 29, 2005.

1. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    I thought this was about UEFA making some sort of cap, rather than just England.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    as I said way back in post 9

but how do you apply a cap across countries? Countries have different currencies. Those currencies fluctuate in value. Countries have different tax rates and different costs of living. And without being too controversial, different countries would have rather different attitudes to making sure their teams didn't break those cap rulings.

3. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The Yankees havn't won the World Series for quite a number of years. They are always there abouts just like the Braves but don't go all the way.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good idea, but I don't think it will work. The economic of scale is different from most countries. How can they find a meaningful sum for all of Europe?

5. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But football in England is not just about the Premiership. There are 92 clubs in the league.

6. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    54% of the total league's revenue is the cap for all teams. I think the number is 50% for NHL, 54% for NBA and NFL.

So if the total revenue for EPL is 2 billion, then the cap is set at $54 million for all team.

If the total revenue for Dutch league is 1 billion, then the cap is set at $27 million.

However, I don't think the cap would happen. The players would fight it to the teeth and they wouldn't cave in like the NHL players because they got one alternative that NHL players do not. ANOTHER LEAGUE TO PLAY IN with about the same salary.

NHL players can go to Europe while they are strike, but the salary was about 1/3 or 1/2 of the NHL's salary.

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you're saying that the Premiership teams (and I'm not even thinking about the inequalities in that) would have double the cash of the Dutch teams to spend on wages? You then state:

But you've just shown that not to be the case because the Premiership has twice as much money avaliable.

Now what happens if a team from the Premiership gets relegated?

8. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Thats the reason it the national FA's can't do it. UEFA can however and then it will stick, the players would have very hard getting the same wages in MLS or in Latin America.

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The French system is by far the healthiest in Europe at the moment. Not the most condusive to winning in Europe, but by far the healthiest for the league.
    If you run in the red you get your ass relegated. Period. They don't care if you're Marseille or Troyes. This is a natural salary cap.

10. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I dought UEFA could do any such thing, it's almost certainly against EU Law.

11. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If EPL players went on strike like NHLers did last year, EPL players can go to Spain and Italy where the wages are comparable. Even Japan, Quatar or Mexico would pay good wages. Not as high as EPL but they can live off a million or two per year in salary playing in those countrires while waiting out the situation to be resolved in the EPL.

For many NHL players, they didn't have that option. Some played in the minor league system earning $5,000 a month just to get in shape or for practice. Some even played for free.

12. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I don´t know if Uefa should or could establish a salary cap but one thing i know since the Bosman rule the rich became richer and poor became poorer...

13. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    What happens if the club needs to borrow money to update their stadium or something? They'd be stuck playing in a dump, and the fanbase would suffer.

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There is a distinction between good debt and bad debt. I probably should have rephrased my post. Clubs can be in debt...... But a clubs payment on its debts and obligations can't surpass its revenues. So like any mortgage, if your club can make the payments they're fine.

Clubs certainly are more reluctant to invest recklessly in stadia in France than in some countries though.

15. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    And about 15 to 20 with realisitc aims to enter that league.

16. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    A cap wouldn't necessarily have to be equal internationally. If it was generally level across Europe, I doubt it would turn the EPL into the SPL.

17. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    The first half of this statement describes the facilities situation in France.

18. surreyman76

surreyman76 Red Card

Jan 5, 2006
    How dare you! The SPL is better this season than the EPL!

Football

19. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Please do enlighten us on what you know about the stadia situation in France.

20. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    What people who are in favor of the cap (usually Americans ) ignore is that “leagues “ in American sense of the word don’t exist in Europe.

These are not centrally run entities which allocate teams to the biggest markets.

Leagues are just a form of competition between fully independent clubs.

The primary purpose of these clubs is not to make money for their owner but to win football matches. They’re not going to come together and organize a cartel which would limit players salaries and guarantee the owners profits. There will always be someone who is willing to loose his own money to make his football team better.

Also it would kill all the fun of the competition between clubs of different financial strength.

Wining a championship would have a much less of a significance for a relatively poor club like Werder if the they had as much to spend as Bayern do.

It would make you feel that you just have to wait for your turn, and that everyone will win it in time.

21. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    The thing is though, television and CL money has made the financial gaps far from what they used to be for almost a century. Some feel that it is gotten out of hand. Most probably don't think that Manchester United should only get to spend as much as Sunderlund... it's just that there is an idea that maybe the financial gap should be lowered to a degree.

22. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Not much apparently.

23. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    There are various types of salary cap structure. A "soft" cap may actually work. Meaning that a figure is created based on league's total income, and clubs that go over it have to pay some kind of a luxury tax which then is divided among poorer sides. Kinda similar to what is done in MLB I guess. Big clubs would still be able to go over the cap and buy the best players, but they'd have to pay luxury tax, which would discourage clubs from Abramovich-like spending.
    And there would be no ceiling so that any club can get to the top division.

24. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    will it? what if it does not work?

:confused:

25. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli