Should the catholic church change & listen to the voice of the people?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DJPoopypants, Jun 28, 2005.

1. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Catholic Church does change, and must change, and always will change. The Catholic Church is a grand old European, content with gradual change with continued ceremony and tradition. Just because it doesn't change with the rapidity of MTV on uppers like the rest of the United States
    doesn't mean it isn't changing. It changes over lifetimes and generations, but it does change.

The Catholic Church, which claims decent from St. Peter, the 'rock' that Jesus built his church upon, has been entirely created by man, with help from the 'Holy Spirit.'

Most of what ITN and for that matter most Catholics (and Christians in general) hold dear are just poor interpretations of certain phrases in the Bible that support whatever those in power want to support. Slavery, anti-homosexuality, attacking the Muslim Jerusalem, torturing witches, drinking Pepsi, UFO visitations -- all are in the Bible somewhere, mysteriously worded. Add to that some 'creative' translations -- and we have a document that forms a basis of most western religions that has a lot of 'wiggle room' interpretively. Add a burocracy of a bunch of old, rich, landed families -- and the Church tends to be conservative.

Do people in the Catholic Church now support slavery? American abolitionists were extremely hard pressed to justify their opposition to slavery on scriptural grounds, but few twentieth century Christians believe that slavery is biblically sanctioned. But there are many references to slavery and treatment of slaves in the Bible. The Church just found it politically expedient to throw its weight behind the 'everyone is free' mantra at some point in history.

As for the birth control issue, the Catholic Church should not change its position except in the case of married couples. The position that sexuality is a gift from the Lord, and should be only shared with husband/wife is a common religious theme. Let's face it, not sleeping around prevents unwanted pregnancies, the spread of disease (and now death), and a poor reputation. However, if my wife and I want to use birth control so we can have children a little later in life, we should be able to do that.

The flip side of that is that the Catholic Church, and all churches as far as I can tell, should stay the heck out of the public arena or they should be taxed incessently. I don't want the government banning sex ed based on one religions point-of-view. I don't want the government banning condom sales in Africa because of one religions point-of-view. I don't want the government banning homosexual unions because of one religion's point of view.

Religion is a personal thing, between a person and his/her God(s) or leader(s). Make your own personal decisions that make you comfortable, but keep your personal beliefs out of my life.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of marraige as a contract between three parties, the man, the woman, and God. It makes sense that way. You can't unilaterally break a contract without consent of the other parties.

Annulments are allowed, as in U.S. contract law, when you find out what you thought was true when you entered into the contract isn't true anymore. For example, your husband is gay and hid that from you.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    But the Catholic position on marital sex is absolutely ridiculous. The only form of birth control that is allowed is the "rhythm method." Period. Pun intended.

Want to bet?

4. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Except God tenders no consideration under such a contract, and so could not enforce it.

5. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    What about when you find out your husband is a jerk?

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Well, since the church won't let Matt marry a man in the first place, that's pretty unlikely to happen. :)