Should the British government apologise for their part in the slave trade?

Tema en 'Politics & Current Events' iniciado por English_Gent, 30 Mar 2007.

1. English_Gent

English_Gent New Member

29 Jul 2004
    Reading, England
    On 25th March, Britain marked the 200th anniversary of the Parliamentary Act that abolished the slave trade.

There have been numorous celebrations around the country to mark this anniversary and much of the leading stories on topical TV & radio shows over the past month have been focussed on this but at the same time the debate over whether the British government should make a public apology for their part in slavery goes on.

While the majorities view seems to be 'why apologise for something that happened 200 years ago' there is still a significant amount of people who are publicly demanding an apology.

This week a protester disrupted a commemorative service at Westminster Abbey to try and confront the Queen and demand an apology.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

6 Abr 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Apologize. Move on.

3. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

21 Abr 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Give an apology in the best "Basil Fawlty" style

4. Katie!

Katie! New Member

4 Dic 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sure ... And so should the tribes that sold their own people to the English.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

28 Mar 2005
    indianapolis
    I think they should send Guthry from Blackadder to apologize. In character.

6. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

22 Jun 2002
    I'd like to apologize for everything the English did wrong before I was born.

I'm sorry.

7. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

16 Sep 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well most of them better take a third or fourth attempt. Because back in the 1800's Europe was pumping a billion dollars into Africa for resources. Did it all go to the Blacks? Probably not but my last reading of European History Book College Edition had a paragraph about it.
    I think with some of the jobs if not sports at all. The Ethnic grouping has turned a nice century. Also some of the Blacks were the most feared pirates in the open waters. So it was said.....

8. Dead Penguin

Dead Penguin New Member

12 Ago 2006
    UK
    Institutional apologies are less ludicrous than apologies based on say race, with white people apologising to black people, because the institution of the UK government existed back then wheras no indivdual from that era is still alive. That said I would still object to an apology on two grounds, there's no slaves alive to apologise to and secondly it promotes a version of history which is misleading, the idea that slavery was something that was suddenly invented by Europeans and inflicted on the rest of the world from 1492 until the 19th century rather than the reality that it was practised everywhere for 6000 years at least and was only eradicated because of the Abolitionist movements in Europe and North America.

Incidently the protester at Westminster Abbey appears to head a rather unpleasant individual who organisation, Ligali, which tries to promote racial conflict.

9. If they do, I hope they get around to apologizing for their role in the attitudes and policies that led to the various conflicts between european settles in the US and the Indians.

I'll be over here, counting nickels.

10. revelationx

revelationx Member+

5 Jun 2006
    London
    Can I just point out that slavery still exists in places like Burma today. Our efforts would be more worthwhile in pressurising the Junta there into freeing the slaves there than an empty apology. Have the Arabs apologised for the Slave trade, the African tribes who sold their own people into slavery?

People have problems today. Fixing these are more of a priority than apologising for wrongs that someone's ancestors did. Are today's Mongols responsible for the Mongol's sack of Kiev? Are today's German's responsible for WWI? Should Ireland apologise for invading Scotland? Should the Danes apologise for invading England? Should the Persians apologise for invading the Egyptians and the Greeks? Should the Romans apologise to the Germans? Should the Turks apologise to the Austrians? The answer is NO.

Improving the lives of people today is more important. Apologies from people who are not responsible for something to dead people is like a broken pencil... Pointless.

11. You could. But there are too many people who'd rather blame the corpses, than try to fix todays problems.

12. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

5 Nov 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point Katie...

13. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

18 Mar 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and while we're at it, we should imprison Belgium for the bad acts of King Leopold. or if that's too strict, we should confiscate all their art treasures and flog them off to pay reparations.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

16 Nov 2003
    Who invaded who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_history_of_Ireland#The_Gaelic_conquest_of_Ulster
    "The Gaelic conquest also had a significant impact on Scottish history. One of the Ernean tribes of Ulster that had been reduced to vassalage by Niall were the Dál Riata, whose traditional territory was in the northeast of the country. Following their overthrow, some of the Dál Riada crossed the sea and colonised Argyll. In the course of time this colony became the dominant power in northern Britain. The Kingdom of Scotland was created in the ninth century by the union of Dál Riada and the native kingdom of the Picts."
    More refugees making good than invaders?

15. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

10 Dic 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Fixed. They haven't stopped.

16. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

22 Jun 2002
    I'd like to appologize for every post before this one.

I'm sorry.

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

19 Dic 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What would be the format and substance of this apology. And on whose behalf should it be? I mean, I come from a colonial family, so there's definitely shit my lot could stick their hand up to, but any apology on behalf of the modern nation of Britain would be weird. Does Blair speak on behalf of, or to an African-Briton? Or one of our 2 million Asian Britons?

Just one example of how it doesn't really work on a practical level?

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

8 Abr 2002
    I'm glad to see that your peculiar brand of moral equivalence extends to right-wing rubbish as well. :rolleyes:

19. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

2 May 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what actually was the British Government's role in slavery? It's not as if The Labour Party nationalised the slave trade.

20. Colm

Colm Member

17 Ago 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Same here, I come from a colonial family aswell and they could stick there hand ups. I see an apology pointless since this government had nothing to do with the slave trade.

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

6 Abr 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    How about apologizing for football. It's ruined my life.

22. Katie!

Katie! New Member

4 Dic 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Did tribes of Africa not sell their own people into slavery? Should they not apologize?

Various Ghanaians have apologized ... So I'm glad they share in this peculiarness with me.

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

8 Abr 2002
    Perhaps they should apologize, but the point is normally brought up in order to shift blame away from those primarily responsible. If I didn't know better, I would think David Duke stole your password.

24. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

28 Mar 2005
    indianapolis

Good call. Why else would I be reading a msg board at 3 am?

25. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

31 Jul 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    as a Czech I'd like to apologize to everyone we ever harmed (yes even Sudetens); Also I have family that is French/Irish; so anyone we've hurt, I'm sorry. Good to have that off my chest; now I no longer have to have my peoples history dictating me as a person and how I get along with others... what a load off my mind.

Seriously though I think a government apologizing for its history isn't a big deal. While I tend to actually support such apologies, I can definately see where it can seem ridiculous. I can only imagine most Britons regret their countries involvement in the slave trade, but how much does it really impact contemporary race relations for most people? Still while its a symbolic gesture, it's also a very simple one.

Compartir esta página