Should players 'call' for the ball?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by kilkenny, Mar 31, 2011.

1. kilkenny

kilkenny New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    My daughters U10 coach said my daughter needed to be a player that gets involved in the game at all times. I asked her what this meant and she said to get more action (she's left mid and a lefty) she needs to call for the ball.

Now I've been around sports alot and I've always felt that you should never vocally call for the ball because it alerts the defender that you're unguarded.

My contention, which I posted in another thread was that right footed players tend to play to the right side of the field. My daughter didn't see as much action because the ball always seemed to be passed to the right whether is was being guarded or not. I can't tell you how many times my daughter was left wide open on the left ready to get the ball when it never came and was instead passed to a heavily guarded right position.

I don't want to teach my daughter to yell for the ball because the coach wants her to. It just goes against everything I believe in sports and I don't think it will help.

2. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Best way to "call" for the ball is to make a good run. Not only does the motion (a) usually lead to a better opportunity to penetrate (as opposed to standing statically, waiting for the ball to arrive, then turning and trying to penetrate), and (b) usually unbalance the defense somewhat depending on how much they are ball-watching (which is usually a lot), but (c) our vision reacts better and faster to motion than stillness, and we also react better visually than we do aurally. The ball-handler probably already has 6 other teammates telling her to "pass", along with one or two coaches, and a sideline full of parents. She should supplement her runs with demonstrative gestures as to where she wants the ball played as well.

Granted, that takes a higher order of mental and technical ability, to make appropriate runs on her part, and to make appropriate reads and passes on her teammate's part, but that's what I would think you want to be pushing for.

And they could even be runs checking into the middle to show for the ball, not just runs along the sideline. If the team is always playing along the right wing, your central midfield is probably sliding over to the right as well, and if she is all alone way on the left, there is no way at that age they will be switching the field of play over to her very often, if at all. If she checks into the middle, it will be easier to link up with her.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Perhaps she is on my team?

1. I know this is not a pro-level game, but if you watch one without crowds, there is a tremendous amount of talking. Sure you would like to be silent to spring a 'surprise' but that is not possible. Pro teams practice a lot to learn each others tendencies to move to areas, but adult beer league teams, you will see a lot more calling for the ball. Players should be encouraged to communicate. It sure as hell would shut me up more as a coach :) . When we practice passing drills, we try to have the players to call for the 'ball' or the players name.

2. Yeah the ball never gets there. They are U-10's, it is hard to string together several passes in a row. Many times players are left open and the ball never arrives. Besides your child, watch the other kids as well. They are left open.

2a. Also at this age, a player with the ball should be encouraged to dribble to goal as a first option.

3. I don't think being a lefty really matters (my son that I coach is left-footed) and sees a lot of the ball at his favored left half/def position. I have found with our team we tend to go back in the same direction the ball came from (right back into the crowd). We have practiced a lot to switch the point of attack as well as as a player being confident to turn with the ball in a different direction.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Good point on moving as opposed to ball watching/half-hearted calls for the ball.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's also visual cues. A receiver can point/signal to indicate where/what kind of pass he wants.

6. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    The players should be taught to give the person with the ball information that is useful. Yelling out "ball" or "I'm open" is not useful information. The worst being calling the name of the person with the ball. Having 5-6 kids call out your name when you're in possession isn't very helpful.

What players should be taught is to say things like "support", "open on your left", or "time".

7. Lower90

Lower90 Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Good advice JoseP. Just yelling "I'm open" does not help and ends up getting you marked. I teach my players "yes, yes", "feet", "space" etc. similar to Jose. This gets reinforced in our small sided activities and games, especially not asking for the ball when you are behind a defender. As had been said many times, all good players want the ball and once you get everyone with that mentality you keep possession longer.

8. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    With my U10s I have them combine the verbal with a visual cue, since the skill level isn't where the player on the ball is looking up all the time.

We'll combine "Feet!" with their hands in front of them below their waist to indicate a pass to feet, and "Space!" with the hands low but held out in front of them where they want the pass to go.

There's so much chatter going on with other players, parents and other games in the vicinity that I don't think a call necessarily gives away an advantage most of the time.

9. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yell for the ball.
    Tell the player with the ball where you are: left, right, behind, forward/through.
    Yell for the ball.
    Point to your feet or space where you want the ball played.
    Yell for the ball.
    Make runs away and also check to the ball in order to find space.
    Yell for the ball.
    Alert the player with the ball to other open players.
    Yell for the ball. :)

10. jcardinale

jcardinale Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I am sorry but I disagree with your thoughts that players should not call for the ball. Espcially at this young age, there should be as much cummunication on the field as possible. Not all has to verbal, but as players are still learning to manipulate thier body at the same time as the ball only giving visual cues is alot to ask for. The verbal cummuncation cues, the visual cummincation which leads to the action.

11. seansteele

seansteele Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Fresno, CA
    I recently attended a U10 Ajax training session in which they were working on passing and receiving technique. The start of each pattern began with the player asking for the ball with a nice Dutch "Yup!". After that, players visually read the moves and played the ball a accordingly. There is a time and place for both visual and audio cues in the game. Your daughter must learn both of them, practice both of them, and fail at both of them before she will learn when and where it is important to verbally ask for the ball and when and where it is appropriate to visual ask for a ball with a run.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Since we are mostly discussing U-10, I don't care if they point, call a name, say square, etc. The point is to get them to be involved reading the play and reacting, and not standing flat-footed.

I understand that they may call for the ball and will not be open. That too is learning the game.

13. kilkenny

kilkenny New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    To bring this a little more close to the point I'm trying to make. Most of the girls on this team don't call for the ball. I have never heard the right mid call for the ball. I feel that my daughter is being singled out because play just happens to occur on the right side of the field. If she were right mid, I don't believe I would have ever received a comment like the one I received from the coach.

I will try to coach my daughter to call for the ball 'a little'. But not by waving her arms and attracting defenders to her. These girls she plays against are little snipers that look for that kind of activity and anticipate the pass.

14. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you just leave the team already and stop complaining about the RM getting more attention and touches than your daughter?

Gee whiz. :D

It's like your fishing for a reason to validate your own internal feelings that your daughter is better than the RM and thus being treated unfairly by her coach. She's how old? Get over it!

15. kilkenny

kilkenny New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Why make an assumption like that? It's not true. My original post says it like it is. I don't believe in calling for the ball in sports in general. Other players should see the whole field and at this age they don't. So my daughter has to call for the ball apparently. Just something I have a hard time teaching my daughter.

By the way, she was second in scoring on the team last season (striker was first) and led the team in assists. Yet I still got this comment from the coach.

Have a GREAT day!

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You keep count how many goals and assists an 8-yo gets? Really?

Oh, and maybe the coach is right. Some kids that were the star one year will drop off the following. Growing up can be cruel like that.

17. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then, why did you start this thread?

You're right. Those horrible other players should have their heads up and swiveling at all times looking for your daughter on the field. How dare they ignore her!

Thanks for reaffirming to all of us what you're really getting at here.

We get it now. Your coach sucks. Your daughter is a budding superstar destined for the national team.

Right. Like I've not seen the whole "passive-aggresive" "we'll agree to disagree" "I really pity you but wish you well" bullshit on this message board. Boring.

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How else are we supposed to know how awesome WE AS PARENTS... err, our children... are? :rolleyes:

19. kilkenny

kilkenny New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    How did such a big asshole like you get to be a moderator here?

I still don't see where I offended you. But I will leave now as I know where I'm not wanted. Hope you had fun!

20. kilkenny

kilkenny New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Once again, someone making their own assumptions. I didn't keep the stats for the team. Yet you say I did. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with you people here?

21. jcardinale

jcardinale Member

Sep 30, 2008
    KIL
    I dont want to assume but I might ask you as a parent or her as a player the same thing if I was the coach. I would want all players to be involved in the match as much as possible. The desire to be on the ball is born from being comfortable with it. If she works more at home or in training with the ball she may want to find it more often.
    Sometimes relating it down to her level helps. The ball is a dog you want to keep your dog and go for walks with it as often as possible. You may let your friend walk the dog a bit but you want it back asap.
    Lend the ball, to get it back.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not the team, but for one individual. How did you know she was first or second? My point is, who cares?

23. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I don't remember calling you names?

But, you may have noticed that I don't need to be nice to move around posts and organize threads. How I've done anything other than "call bullshit" on your story.

Again, enough with the passive aggressive double-speak. You're a grown man. If you don't like what I'm saying, ignore it or call me some more names. Either way, it's better than trying to pretend to be a nice guy.

24. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "you people here"

Yep, everyone who disagrees with you is wrong - like your daughter's coach.

25. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    -I'll try to even out the tone here since I'm coming late to the party. But to your OP. . . she's a 9YO and exclusively a left mid? I rotate my players, flop sides, but if I had my druthers the lefties would play on the right so they cut inside to their strong foot to shoot and score on goal. I don't bother teaching crosses to U10s, too many variables for them to keep track of.

-You can call for the ball audibley. Defenders have other responsibilities not just you. Part of making the run is drawing attention to yourself to create hesitations on the defenders part. If one defender follows you, you've essentially created space for the POTB or another teammate to move into.

-Let me guess your team deploys left, center, and right mid? The prob with that is that they become too disconnected to be useful to each other. How many 9YOs can hit a driven 30-yard switch and have the receiver take it down well? Not many. I tell my midfielders (3) to be near the ball. In fact, all 6 field players are within a 30 yard radius of the ball—they are useful to each other as passing options and defensive help.

-Kil, I would just let her do what she wants in this case. Don't let your prejudices about what this sport is or isn't affect HER play. I attended a U10/U12 youth module taught by our state DOC. Rule 1 was let to let it be THEIR game. Let them play it on their terms regardless of how you see it.

Give them the tools (skills), teach them a very basic framework, then let them create their own game.