Should Pekerman continue?

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by pibe10, Nov 16, 2016.

?

Should Pekerman continue until the end of the qualifiers ?

1. YES - We need to let him finish the competition

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. NO - We shouldn't jeopardize our qualification

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No man he should have been fired for his WC call up and his pathetic attempt against England. If he wasn’t such a pssy we would have gone to the final and potentially won a World Cup.

now….. who they replaced him with is the problem. Our federation has always sucked and will continue to but they don’t get fired or replaced.

we needed the next step up from him. To get to another level and they got a worse coach. Then a coach who was doing bad with Chile we paid to bring him back because all the federation knows is Rueda, Bolillo or Maturana…. Let’s just all be happy it was Rueda.

some at the federation wanted Osorio but what he did at Paraguay and now America de cali…. He better find a d2 team in England to give him a shot since his nt openings are over.

2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Face palm. Incredible loyalty to a POV I've never seen a single other person agree with.

pepinointer and J-Mezzy repped this.
  3. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Unfortunently, there was a huge support for Pekerman to leave, and that annoyed me. Given we had no better candidate at the time, but nope people were just pissed cause they wanted their club players to get playing time.

4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    called up for a world cup....because he qualified to it.....

i doubt that the nest year you will see a colombian nt called up for world cup....because a little reason....probably we wont qualify

5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For me, the good tactics Pekerman incorporated between 2012-14 started going out the window in 2015 when we transitioned into a scrappy team that grinded results.

And then we turned into a team that would start games very nervous or wait for us to be down 1-0 before we got our act together.

Pekerman also did have a tougher job in 14-18 cycle bc he shuffled so many players for a variety of reasons.

If you look at the lineups during 14-18, all the positions had some sort of roller coaster ride of success and struggle - by example Bacca was our primary guy up front and struggled for a number of reasons before we ultimately had Falcao starting in the 18WC - we never really tried using Muriel as a 9 and Duvan was hardly called up and Borja was rarely brought in despite his 2016 Nacional success.

Despite us grinding out results in 2016 CA, our 3rd place finish allowed for many of our weaknesses (that we all did a good job of pointing out) to be swept “under the sofa”

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pekermans 1st 2 years were incredible ... Insane !! If we had had Falcao in 2014 we would have won every game by 12....

after that .... when he lost Zuniga, Yepes and Armero..... the team went down hill. We had Zombie Falcao. He just wouldn't look for someone better than Sanchez and Abel who with Zuniga+Armero attacking looked incredible. Without them the team just couldn't function the same.

Pekerman did a great job at first and took us to a new level of play. Cuadrados 1st goal in yellow in Pekermans 1st game vs Mexico. Think we passed like 20 times then scored. OMG still remember the goal. But guy never won us anything

Rueda even tho is shit now.... in 2006 Cycle with fking Tessor Moreno, Elkin Soto and Restrepo beat Uruguay, Ecuador and Peru 5-0 in Barranquilla. With Gabriel Rey up top....

and Maturana is still the only coach to win us silverware. So stop all this Pekerman is god who taught us how to play BS.

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    with pekerman we have had our two best performances in wcs in our history.

8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He had James... and our 2014 roster is probably the best roster we have ever had.

I mean maybe Cordoba was better than Ospina defiantly that early in his career. Cordoba was better than Zapata. But pretty much top 3 ever in each positon

9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    carlos anchez and aguilar are far away to be the best in their position in history...actually they both are worse than barrios and uribe

rueda today have a hell of attacking team maybe better than pekerman and he is strgglled.

before pekerman leonel and bolillo strugglrd with the roster.

all merit to pekerman and in OUR SHITY HISTORY HE IS GOD

because colombia nationa team is a disgrace in history and the few little things that have had is Pekerman

10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not sure the point you’re trying to prove. Many of here agree that Pekerman did a great job for the 14 cycle. Even found a way for us to be a strong team when Falcao went down. My primary critique was that he never got the best out of Jackson/Bacca both who were white hot with Porto/Sevilla.

Many things happened in the 18 cycle that didn’t go our way and we turned into a scrappy team that got nervous at the start of games.

To me, that’s pekerman’s legacy.

J-Mezzy and Tio Nicci repped this.
  11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was one of the ones who wanted him gone the most.

sucks we won’t qualify but hey still happy he is gone.

we needed to move forward. Pekerman took us as far as he could we needed a better coach and got two way worse ones instead.

that doesn’t change the fact Pekerman shit his pants every time it mattered with us.

12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Stubborn idiocy

We took huge steps back losing Pekerman and who knows when we’ll recover from that massive mistake

ryu79 and Azucarero repped this.
  13. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's honestly ridiculous that he was the ONLY stabled coach that we had in recent memory. Even by this point I was expecting us to keep some consistency with a manager that understands how to use us.

14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I felt pekerman struggled a lot 2015-18 and his time was up. The only two games where I can say I was really proud of the team during that time was 2015CA against Brazil and WC18 against Poland

Sure he got us 3rd place in CA16, but it was an underwhelming overall performance that tournament. I’m glad I got to see the Peru elimination game live but we played that whole tournament flat footed.

We also fell into a very bad place under pekerman at the end of his reign where we would start games very nervous and/or have to dig ourselves out of a hole.

Now we just play games to tie 0-0 hence the nickname “C0-0mbia” so in a sense, we did go backwards after pekerman, but I don’t know if he had the stamina to endure this 22 WCQ process for Colombia - depends on the behind-the-scenes drama with the FCF

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Like everyone, Pekerman suffered the lack of fullbacks post Armero and Zuniga and the crazy inconsistency of Davinson, but he had an idea of how to play and the team executed. Even in the brutal game with England that soured so many - he drew up a tight shin kicking game and got the tie in 90 he had asked of his team. He didn't trust them without James, but he was able to get the result he wanted with what he had.

Our coaches since have been a mess with the FA and players and haven't been able to transmit an idea of play onto the field. Finally, he brought in sports psychologists and worked on confidence in the team getting the best out of his players to translate from club to NT.

We would absolutely be qualified with Pekerman and the talent we have available, IMHO.

dapip, Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yes but bad decisions on new coaches doesn't mean he should have stayed.

Like it was going to be a rebuilding phase and covid did hurt the team but come on a Colombian league only team without Nacional, Junior, Millos and the cali teams should have been enough to qualify 5th.

While the coach after was a real real bad decision. The fact Rueda has been such a train wreck is mind blowing.

Our biggest error in 2012 to now is not fixing the Youth system that went to complete shit when Rueda left the U20.

Pekerman is being given the all levels for Venezuela. If he had been given that for us we potentially would have had his U20 coach to be his successor. But our U17, u20 and senior team all played differently and still do.

This is a federation issue they all have to go. While we wouldn't have gone 8 games without scoring I just saw Pekerman getting consistently worse and James or Falcao Bailing him out.

17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia