Should Paulo Bento Continue as Sporting's Manager??

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by PassItOn, Feb 24, 2007.

1. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Just want to hear some opinions on how he's managed this squad.

It's is first full season, now we can really measure his work.

Should he stay another season, see how he does in the Cup, or give up now and move forward.

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I vote for him to stay. You gotta have stability and continuity in order to grow. This guy got hands on experience at several levels that are important to a club like Sporting.

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I'm just concerned considering the last 5-6 games we played horrible futebol. For a young team, and a young coach I expect flaws, but not games like the one with Aves at home, I know these things happen.

We can't just blame the players, because ultimately he's responsible. He's had a lot of flaws on player management, and tactics. Moutinho playing everywhere is a perfect example, I can go on and on on this, but I just wanted to here some opinions.

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I understand what you're saying, but like the old proverb "you can lead the horses to the water but you cann't make them drink it". I read before the game an interview given by PB in response to Desp. Aves coach declaration of asking his players for efforts that would make an epic match at Alvalade. It said that he too asked for the same type of commitment from Sporting players. We know what happened there.
    The one thing that I disagreed with his line up was the inclusion of Nani, for reasons that I've mentioned on the match thread and elsewhere.
    The team wasn't sharp in the D. Aves game , the bounce seemed to go to the adversary 80 -90% of the time, particularly in the 1st half, passes weren't crisp and ball control below professional level. What was on their minds ? The focus , the intensity, the want was flacid. . Is that really PB's fault ? Only if doesn't remove unmotivated players from the starting line up.

5. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Ultimately, thats what managers are there for, and I agree Nani should have been benched for putting the institution in check.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not calling for him to be fired, and would never want him to fail. I'm just query, on how we played such a attractive football, and we have moved away from it the last few weeks.

I'd rather we lose the match, and played a beautiful game, full of movements, combinations, communication, and ultimately happiness on the field.
    Honestly I'm not seeing it here, and that's his responsibility.

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Agreed.
    There may be more problems internally that we're not aware. It's true that the squad, apart from the early parts of the season hasn't been 100% in form. Several players have had highs and lows in form, and when those in form got injuried, it took a lot of wind out of the team's sails.
    I would also add that many of the reinforcements have been duds , and that may have taken a lot out of PB's ego if he was involved in their signings.
    Then there's the discipline , or lack of it, issue between some players and PB. Last year it was Liedson and seemingly he dealt with it appropriately. This year, we hear of Carlos Martins and possibly Custodio. There might be more. All these add up.

7. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Sporting are in a bit of a "grey area" in terms of direction of this club...

Yes we have a great soccer school that is developing great young talent. But what good is the talent if the minute they make the senior team they immediately have talks about leaving and making mounds of money.

Give me 11 Sa Pintos as opposed to Carlos Martins and now Nani...if you are too good to wear this shirt...then leave...

That is why Simao is booed at Alvalade for being the traitor that he is. That is why Quaresma is booed at Alvalade.

Let Nani go, we have Pereirinha to immediately fill in the gap. We have Djalo who has yet to utter any ridiculousness.

And Yes Paulo Bento should continue to manage, the players need to know that he is the authority and if they don't produce they will be on the bench.

And someone answer this...why does Moutinho say all the right things while Nani utters nonsense...they both have the same agent?

8. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Moutinho was educated in the Academia, and Nani nas barracas, and Real Massama. But give the guy a chance he's going to snap out of this.
    The only time this money issue was fed to the press, was when he was forced to bring it up in court.
    Obviously the press pretty much know players salaries, and fed him questions that he wasn't prepared for both intellectually or mentally.

9. Ovamka

Ovamka New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    He only gets booed by the same idiots that start waving white scraves 5min into a match and he's not seen as a traitor. He didn't force his move nor did he complain about anything, that idiot Dias da Cunha and C.Freitas just sold him for €7mil.

10. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    PDC might be available for a transfer fee of 100 million Euros! :D

11. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Why? Then we would to spend that much more buying trips for refs. :eek:

12. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ...and Whores:eek:

13. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wrote Simao was a traiter and that Quaresma gets booed...

Quaresma forced (along with this agent) a move to Barca...and don't forget that SCP also received Rochemback in the deal.

14. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that PB will and should stay on at the helm. The team crashed out of Europe after starting really well out of the gate and I would chalk that up to inexperience. Fine, he now knows what he needs to do for next season.

PB needs to steer this club to the final of the Taça de Portugal and NEEDS TO FINISH TOP TWO. I think that we cannot stress the need to have CL money right off the bat. We cannot depend on qualifying via the third round as we have only done that once, and only because we beat out Beitar Jerusalem back in 1997.

PB is a good coach, one who is rising up the ladder. He is cutting his teeth on the job and obviously we are getting into some growing pains at the moment, but we have a young team who is learning to play the game with each other at the highest level with a young coach who knows what it takes to play the game. The experience learned this year, from players and coach, should only help them next season and I believe that PB should be there to start the season to see what he can do after having a full season under his belt...

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Is that all FC Porto is offering to get rid of him ? I think Sporting would want more than that just to study the proposal. :)

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Ditto. In reality, both weren't ready to leave Sporting at the time they left. They should have stayed a couple more years, but that's the business.

17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    After winning a CL away match ? Yes !! :)

18. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    No doubt. I would only want him to stop complaining about the ref's, and let the president, and the SAD do that.

19. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Dead thread comes back from the graveyard! Duh Duh Duh.

No need for convo, pretty obvious he should stay around for a long time.

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Yes , even if Sporting doesn't win every game it plays. :)

21. DECO#1

DECO#1 New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Yes keep Bento and invest in strong defensive players.

Who the guy responsible for bringing in second division players every year?
    How come nobody points the finger at him :confused:

22. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly What "Second Division" players are you talking about? Everyone on the current squas was either an SCP Junior or playing on a Senior Squad in their countries First Division, so I am not sure who you are referring to.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Probably not meaning it literarily on his part, but refereeing to the quality some of the newcomers have displayed thus far.

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Some are calling for his dismissal yet again, but PB thinks he call pull Sporting out of the bad results. I don't think anybody else would do any better with the squad that Sporting carries. Like it or not, in January , the president has to find monies to buy new players and be prepared to let go some of the dead weight players now dragging Sporting down.

25. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Keep him and come January start dumping the following:

Farnerud, Purovic, Vuckcevic, Paredes, Gladstone...

Bring up the youngsters and give them some experience. They can do the same or better as any of the above players.

And you can save some money on payroll...