Should Patrick Vieira,29 be signed?

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MlLoh398075, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10_Ronaldinho_10

10_Ronaldinho_10 New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    Yes, it does teach us something, but for you it's hard to learn about attacking, isn't it?

2. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So, Juventus got him for 5 years and a good price. Does it mean Juve knows nothing about football? I think he is (or was, I haven't seen him in the last season at all) far above Gravesen and García. Well, we'll see. I hope to be wrong.

3. 10_Ronaldinho_10

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    He was better, his last season wasn't too impressive. I'm not saying Juve knows nothing about football, I'm saying that they mostly fortify the defensive areas.

4. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I watched Viera pick up that 2nd yellow card against Ajax in that CL game, I realized that once again Perez had made the right choice. Gravesen is better than Viera in every category, including price. We will see how Garcia does.

5. mauritz

mauritz New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Jönköping, Sweden
    Viera is better than Gravesen in one aspect: heading. That's it. Gravesen is stronger, he's a better tackler, he's a better passer... and so on and so forth. Perez definately made the right choice.

6. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Maybe, but I think we beat Juve in a final a while back without a great defense. I'm okay with Vieira leaving. Juve will always be a CL contender.

¡Hala Madrid!

"gol de Mijatovic.... gol, gol, gol, gol de Mijatovic..." man, that was awesome

7. 10_Ronaldinho_10

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    Ye, wasn't it? Mi-mi-mi-jatovic........

Hey, I didn't know you guys were so fond of Gravesen, that's good to hear. You know what's good 'bout him too? That he's always in a good mude and looks like a very nice person. He was quickly accepted by everybody in the squad.

8. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    No i'm quite happy with thomas Gravesen. he's Fast, strong, agile and amazing. we bought him quite cheap for what he did to his old club.

9. 10_Ronaldinho_10

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    Yes, he's amazing, that's the word. You know what? I think it's gonna be extremely tough to pick a DM next season. García is also amazing, you just have to learn to like his guts. Well anyways they're both gonna play a lot next season.

10. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Jokers.

11. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003

Well add me to the list of jokers, because I wanted no part of Vieira. :)

12. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    That is different from trying to convince yourself that Gravesen is a better player.

13. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003

For the price and what Real needs him for, he is the better player.

Vieira commits to many fouls for my likeing.

Why do u think Real fans don't like Samuel, the guy just hits everyone that comes his way.

Graveson fits Real's system better than Vieira ever would.

14. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Riiiight. We'll just agree to disagree here.

15. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is nothing. You should have seen the joy last year when the Viera deal broke down. I think I still see some party streamers laying around.

16. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You guys have to be kidding right? Gravesen better than Vieira? Unreal, really.

Vieira is more technically sound and even better defensively. There is no comparison. It is not surprising that when people specak of the best defensive MFs in the world, Patrick is always mentioned, and Gravesen, never.

I would love for Juve to meet Real again and send you home AGAIN just to prove all the doubters wrong.

17. Jaws

Jaws Member

Jun 3, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have to agree with you that Vieira is surely better than gravesen but gravesen fits better in our playing style. He just works hard can't complain to much because he ain't no 'galactico' you get it.

And about getting beaten by Juve that only proves how low we have sank the last couple of years. When u guys beat us u just get beaten by whatever team you guys face next. We beat u and win the price.

18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    All of this is sour grapes. How is it possible that Vieira is better than Gravesen but the Dane fits better into your system? I don't know many players that work harder than Vieira; that is the reason that he is so highly regarded.

It would make sense if Vieira was an attacking player; but he is not. He is a defensive MF who lends support to the attack; a position that Real has struggled to fill since the departure of Makalele. Gravesen is not the answer, either.

19. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    What do you think of Vieira's performance last season? I didn't see many Arsenal matches, but I understand he wasn't the dominant player he used to be? Maybe the team's style didn't help?

Vieira has been a solid player, but I'm glad we didn't spend that kind of money on a 29 year old.

BTW, Makelele lending support to the attack isn't the most accurate description. The guy was phenomenal in a lot of respects, but he turned the ball over quite a bit for us.

¡Hala Madrid!

20. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh? Sour grapes? What part of joy unbounded & happiness supreme do you not understand? I have opened up a bottle of champagne over Juventus' purchase of Viera. And it doesn't taste sour at all.

21. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003

Now ur just speaking out of ur ***

When Real has lost this season, you could name 9 culprits before even naming Graveson..meaning everyone else ahead of him. He works hard every game and is never criticized.

If Graveson is the least of Real's problems in their starting eleven, how is replacing him with Vieira going to do anything, besides the fact u have to waste 20 million euros to buy him and then pay him a galactico salary.

Vieira's style does not fill Real's style...period. I watch Arsenal practically every week. Last I checked he didn't do much for France either in the last Euro Cup. Vieira would commit to many fouls in Spain, which is why Graveson has been a pleasant surprise, he doesn't commit as many fouls as alot of people expected and adjusted to La Liga well.

Wasn't Samuel supposedly a very gifted defender in Italy...and yet he came here and couldn't do better than the crappy defenders already here?

Its not sour grapes when u don't want him to begin with...its the reality that he isn't wanted here.

22. echineko

echineko New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Malaysia
    this whole argument about viera v gravesen is needless. madrid didnt have anyone who could shore up the midfield when they were looking at viera. they do now, and as far as i'm concerned, he's done an excellent job, and i want to see gravesen in that starting lineup next season. the only criticism i could have about him is whether he fouls a bit too easily, but thats it. however viera is not needed at this time, simple as that, and thats all there is to say.

and most importantly, viera has signed for juve, yes? whats the point of continuing this thread any further? please, close it now.

23. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I'm so happy to hear that you feel that Graveson has addressed your MF problems, at least in his role, but do not compare him to Vieira. They are in a different class. Real fans can say that they did not want Vieira until their face turns blue; however, just recognize that everyone else realizes that you guys are full of $hit.

24. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, I didn't want Vieira last summer, I never even liked him, and guess what, he is now 30 and played far below what he used to this year at Arsenal, and I got news for you, Gravesen has played much better than Vieira both at Everton and Real this year, way better.
    What would we have gotten, a player on his way down at 35 mill. and a salary of 6 mill./year (what was asked then?). Juventus wouldn't have gotten him either. What we wanted was a DM, just not Vieira at that price and we ended up not getting any at all. However that is another story, but from that to saying that we were dying and are still dying to get Vieira, you are hallucinating.
    He wouldn't even have been welcomed this year after everything that he vomited against Real last year when in the end we didn't get him and he renovated with Arsenal, to the point that neither Real Madrid nor Florentino have even tried to get him (in spite of some foreign press, not even the Spanish saying otherwise). Juventus had no competition on this one, not from us.

25. gringotuno

gringotuno New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    I hate to split hairs but it's really is silly (and pointless) to say that Vieira is so much better than Gravesen. First off, how could you even prove such a statement? It's impossible because they are both in different environments and aren't competing for the same position. The two players are currently playing on different teams and, maybe more importantly, different leagues.

I think what you are trying to say is that Vieira was more important overall to Arsenal than Gravesen is to Real. I would then agree with you. However, sometimes it is very hard to measure and predict the importance of a player, especially in the DM role. Did Real really know the importance of Makelele? No. It was really surprising to many people at how much of an impact his loss was.

Also,

1) There are no guarantees that Vieira will perform as well at Juve as he did with Arsenal. (Especially since he is going back to the coach with which he did NOT perform when he played in Italy)

2) There are no guarnatees that Arsenal will suffer without him. Heck, if you want to talk about unprovable hypotheticals, I think that Arsenal will start doing really well in the CL now that Vieira is gone!

Argue against that!