Should MLS sign Mexican youth players?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by sanariot, Aug 13, 2002.

1. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if MLS made an effort to take on Mexican/Central American/South American youth players either by signing them or taking them on loan? I know that having Mexican (or other Latin) players isn't automatically going to bring out the Latino fans. I'm not interested in elusive fast money schemes. I'm interested in something that will be the surest way to increase MLS' reputation as a place that quality players come from, not where formerly quality players go to. This will, in turn, increase the perceived "value for the money" of the MLS ticket amongst the Euro/Latinosnob crowd. Face it folks, they aren't going to get rid of their old clubs, so we have to have an appealing angle that's not available via PPV, FSW or Univision/Galavision.

It's one thing to sign an over the hill Hermosillo, Campos or Hernandez, it's another thing altogether to be the place where the Hermosillos, Camposes and Hernandezes learned their trade. I realize that MLS doesn't want to be known as a developmental league, but the truth is, they are a developmental league. The sooner they face that fact, the better off they will be. Beasley, Mastroeni, Mc Bride, Mathis etc. have made known their desire to "get to the next level." If having your own homegrown players seeking to use the domestic league as a stepping stone to greener pastures isn't the definition of a developmental league, I don't know what is. What's so wrong with admitting that you're a developmental league and trying to market yourself as the "home of future superstars?"

Stop trying to sign the Gazzas, the Lothars and Hristos of this world and aim to be the place where world superstars are born, not buried. Clubs like Boca, River, Flamengo etc. aren't known for the players that are currently playing for them, they are known for the players that they produced. They have worldwide respect and are seen as quality clubs for this very reason.

The only way that MLS is going to be truly "Major League" is to spend major league money, NASL-style, which isn't going to happen. So why not end the charade and take on Mexican and other Latin-American youth players either by signing or by loan and sell them off or return them to their "larger" clubs later?

MLS' "major league" posturing is not working. They have entered the game too late. They need to come to the table, win a few hands off of the big guys, get some of their money, THEN attempt to be one of the biggest leagues in the world. They can't bluff their way through it. They need a real strategy. The one they're using now isn't working.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This post is about 2 years too late. MLS is signing young talent from all over: Vaca, Ruiz, O'Brien, Armstrong, Quintanilla, etc.

It's understandable that you may not notice this given your team's fascination with over the hill Euro defenders.

Sachin

3. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming from someone whose team was creaming their jeans to sign Gazza, that's really rich. The posts on the Bolivian boards in support of Vaca for the national team (from your team's supporters, granted) is what gave me the idea for this thread. If you haven't made your way over to that part of BS, I understand. Your time must have really been occupied by digging up "the truth behind the lies" about why Metro got Akwari and DC didn't. It's really ok, man. I hear the FDA has approved something for your condition. Help is on the way.

4. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    MLS should sign as many good youth prospects as they can.

5. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Well MLS does get first shot at some graduates from that Bolivian acadamy

7. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know that MLS has right of first refusal for graduates of Tahuichi. Do you have a link?

8. Mr. Oz

Mr. Oz New Member

Aug 29, 2001
    California
    Wow, the Metro-DC love is smaller than the LA-DC love? No love from me for either of you two East Coast chumps. :)

9. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    If the league could afford it and the players were willing to play here exclusively; I would have no problem with Mexican youth players being purchased. Therein lies the problem, money and player's desire, there is too little of both to make it work.

I say the league should go after Hugo Sanchez Jr. who plays for Puebla in the Segunda. He's in his late teens. Why the hell not. :)

10. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suck my San Diego dick LA MF'er (yeah, I used to live in SD.). You want to see a rivalry? Bring the Sockers to MLS and it'll make Metro-DC seem like a trifle! :)

11. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you DLite for actually posting something on topic. Some people seem to think this is a rivalry board, not a football discussion board.

12. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    This seems to go hand in hand with the expansion/contraction debate.

If the league wants to expand it makes sense to go after these players, but that will keep the overall level of play down, and MLS will not be able to keep the highest level players.

I lean toward keeping the league small and the level of competition high. Then we can try to keep our WC stars here and there won't be an issue of the cost to their development.

What we can do on the development front is start supporting our A league. Soccer fans who live in big cities that have A league teams that they don't support because they are not MLS are the biggest hurdle we need to get over.

The A league should be the breeding ground for these young U.S. and Latin American players, and we should be out there in droves chearing them on.

13. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color you STUPID, since DC decided against an over the hill Brit while bringing in a teenage Salvadoran this month. Its you retards in NYC who want over the hill euros.

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    MLS doesn't sign many (any) young Mexicans largely because young Mexicans have a pretty good league to develop in that will pay them more and allow them to play at home.

Young Bolivians, New Zealanders, and Salvadorans are potentially trading up in terms of quality of league and pay by coming to MLS. Young Mexicans are probably not.

15. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Ochoa.

16. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Casper

MLS doesn't sign many (any) young Mexicans largely because young Mexicans have a pretty good league to develop in that will pay them more and allow them to play at home.

There is allways that Diamond in the rough or the undiscovered talent. The MFL is so quick to overlook their own footballers for South American players. The MLS would probably make money selling those players back to the MFL and even To Europe.

Not to long ago Oscar Olvera who never played in the MFL first Division landed a contract with Peruvian Club Cienciano. He was a key player in their League Championship and their Club did good in Copa Libertadores.

There are others like him. One player that the MLS msised out on was Rodriguez who now plays with Atlas. They returned him to the MFL because he failed a Medical but the player has never had any Major Injuries. He has even been in the Mexican National Team. Like PZ mentioned the Galaxy also ldidnt give Jesus Ochoa a Chance. He is now playing in the Spanish first Division with Osasuna :)

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VS - aren't you mixing up your Ochoas? Jesus IS a good young defensive midfielder currently on the LAG roster, not in Spain. I do not know that LAG ever had the other Ochoa (Carlos?) under contract. If they did, you are right about messing up. But if they did, it is news to me.

18. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    The Cadaver

Yes i confused the names. The one currently in the Galaxy is Jesus and the one in La Liga is Carlos.

Carlos Ochoa was living in the U.S. He received a scholarship to play in Azuza Pacific University when he was 18. Soon after Ochoa was in an U-23 Collegiate Team that played against the Galaxy, this was when Carlos Hermosillo played for the galaxians. Hermosillo recomended him but the Galaxy didnt sign him. So Hermosillo got him a try out with Tigres of UNAL where he became a key player. This year he is on loan to Osasuna.

20. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    The situation with Carlos Ochoa was that when he was being looked at by the Galaxy, during the pre-season, Coach Ralph Perez summoned him to come on late in a meaningless friendly and Ochoa refused and might have used some expletives. This outburst was the reason why things didn't work out. I don't have a link, but I read it in La Opinion ages ago in an interview of Ochoa when he was with el TRI. I believe it was during the Gold Cup earlier this year.

I don't think it was a case of the Galaxy overlooking an obviously talented player. It seems more like a bad decision by a young player which had big consequences at the time. We all know that it worked out for Ochoa in the end.

21. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    IMO - Yes. They should do things that will elevate the level of play. And getting good young players from other countries would help with this issue. It should not be allowed to happen unabated. But it should be allowed.

22. Mr. Oz

Mr. Oz New Member

Aug 29, 2001
    California
    Mexican players get paid good money in Mexico to play ball. There is no need for them to come to the MLS other than to test their skills elsewhere. The only players I may see come here are those who are interested in a US education.

The only way I may see this happening is if the MLS becomes competative enough to actually rival most international clubs. Then bringing in young Mexicans here would benefit all. I don't think as a whole we rival the top leagues.

just my thoughts.