Should MLS Playoff be discontinued

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by ChicagoFC (FireClub), Sep 4, 2009.

1. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I've been thinking for awhile about how such poor teams end up representing MLS in CONCACAF Champions League, and how US Open Cup is almost uncelebrated.

My thought is that the problem is our Playoff structure. I understand that the race at the end of a season for midtable teams to make the playoffs is a way of keeping interest and attendance up towards the end of a season. And that this is as much a product of our lack of pro/rel as it is a product of our american playoff obsession.

I'd say eliminate the MLS Cup playoff altogether and replace it with the Cup being rewarded to the team with the simply the most points. Have top 4 teams in each conference enter the US Open cup as they now do, and for those who desire a playoff, your needs can be satiated with the oldest soccer tournament in the nation. The top teams entering CONCACAF would be based on total season points, not which teams were hot in the last month of play.

We might fare better in CONCACAF games, and the US Open Cup might gain more legitimacy.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had originally written "******** off" but I guess it would properly express my hatred for your idea.

You're idea wouldn't do shit for the CONCACAF Cup. Columbus was the best team in the regular season and post season last year, and they still got stomped this season.

The problem isn't the playoffs. It's the roster sizes (with a dash of salary cap to boot).

3. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. This is extremely stupid and ********ing retarded. No.

4. woodlands

woodlands New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Interesting idea. But the CONCACAF Champions League wouldn't replace the MLS Cup. The US Open Cup would have to.

But the problem with the US Open Cup is it isn't owned/operated by MLS, so it has all those damned USL teams in it.

The US Open Cup would have to be re-structured to be more MLS-friendly.

I say simplify the process and have MLS teams all bail from the US Open Cup. Turn the US Open Cup into the "NIT", so to speak: a lower-level tournament. Let the Rochester Rimjobs win the US Open Cup every year.

The only thing the US Open Cup has going for it is the history. But it's not that impressive of a history. And since MLS now dominates US soccer, and MLS is so young, any historical value of the US Open Cup is kind of lost or moot.

5. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    do people REALLY not see what having an expanded reserve size and an incremental increases in the salary cap could do for this league???

no. all they want is their GLAMOUROUS mega clubs, pro/rel, and Cristiano Ronaldo. they want what works in europe to work here. NOW.

6. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promotion, relegation and single table. WOW. I'd never heard about that before. What an awesome and new idea that is. I'd never considered promotion, relegation and single table before and I haven't seen thousands and thousands of threads about this topic on BigSoccer. How awesome.

8. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting paper, then the equations came, which = me not sustaining interest

9. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear WhiteStar Warriors,

Please stop beating me already.

Signed,
    The Dead Horse

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude you are sounding like Jim Jones "PLEASE PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE"

RevsFanDan repped this.
  11. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not talking about pro/rel, I just included it as a poll option, hoping it would discourage actual discussion of the unrealistic idea of near future pro/rel

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This dude on Santos Laguna just scored and he's putting his shoe on his head.

13. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy the playoff setup and would hate to see it go. Thankfully it is here to stay.

14. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    if you dont like play off, stick to epl, we love play off.

15. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The playoffs are great. Last year's Eastern Conference final was such a great game and incredible atmosphere. I loved it.

16. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all seriousness, I do love our playoff system, but I wish MLS would point out the at large teams from week to week. Because some weeks we're in a crossover situation and sometimes we're not.

17. locotes

locotes New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Davao City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    NO, I think MLS should stick with Playoff format. Its to complicated for majority of American fans/market to digest Pro/Rel system. Im a new MLS fan, Ive been following European football all my life, I dont mind watching MLS with their present format. European format or the World format might not be so feasible with American fans, that will be very taboo to them. MLS dont want to loose its small pie on the market by introducing something fans not familiar with.

18. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States