Should MLS expand to Canada?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DoyleG, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    No prob.

It's no guarantee, I admit, but I don't think the competition will kill it, because there's so much room in Toronto for diverse interests. A team would have to be set up right, with a good stadium and a good owner. But if it was, I would give it as good a chance as just about any American city with the possible exception of Houston (unless Houston got a bad owner or bad stadium, I think that town would be almost a sure thing).

And the best argument I've seen against Toronto is that the expectation level there would be as high as in NY. But I've always been of the opinion that if you put Metro in a high quality venue and make it an MLS contender as much as LA have been, and they'd draw as well or nearly as well as LA have.

2. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    NO. Canada should have its own league.

MLS should have two tables with 16 teams from US on each table.

3. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Good Idea then in about 2 years they will be no teams.

Over expansion will kill soccer. I think 16 teams max for the forseable future would be fine.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Where are you going to find 32 American cities even close to as good as Toronto? I have to look hard to find more than three (that don't already have a team).

5. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    You might be interested to hear what's been going on in Vancouver these past few days.

Greg Kerfoot, the billionaire owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps, has apparently just bought PRIME real estate on Vancouver's downtown waterfront for a 20,000 seat soccer stadium (later expansion to 30,000).

Kerfoot is paying all land and construction costs by himself. No partners or corporate sponosrs to worry about bailing out... he's writing the checks and he's getting it done.

He's already moved forward with two brand new training facilities, and is looking at a site for a third.

For those who don't know, Vancouver has had a pro soccer franchise in operation for more than 30 straight years, with the exception a couple years following the NASL collapse.

While our crowds are smaller than Montreal's, we still rank one of the best draws in the league. Bear in mind that we accomplish this at a tiny stadium in the suburbs where we are not allowed more than 5,700 inside.

The new stadium site is phenomenal.

1. It's in the heart of downtown Vancouver. This means restaurants, pubs, clubs and non-stop pedestrian traffic 24-7.

2. It's immediately adjacent to a massive public transit terminal that services our buses, three SkyTrain monorail routes, our Seabus ferry system and the West Coast Express commuter railway.

3. It's near huge tourist draws such as Canada Place, the historic Gastown and Chinatown districts, and our cruise ship terminals (more pedestrian traffic), to name a few.

I have no doubt that Vancouver could easily become one of the MLS' top draws at this location.

If you want to learn more about the new stadium, click here:

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ok. Is that site near the Canadian Football team's stadium, or is it farther west (northwest? up the river?) near a little island (w/ bars and restaurant) and bridge?

I remember being utterly amazed at the Vancouver skyline. It's a gorgeous city w/ great food, and it's incredibly diverse.

7. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    No, but I can see how you'd be little confused.

Downtown Vancouver is bordered by water on the north, west and south.

The BC Lions CFL team plays at BC Place, which is at the southern-most part of Downtown Vancouver (an area known as False Creek.)

It's also close to Granville Island and the Granville Street Bridge, which is the place I think you're talking about wiht a few pubs and restaurants.

This new stadium is at a much better site at downtown's northern waterfront. Far more to see and do there than anywhere else.

8. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nahhh......Stan, it was my fault to begin with.....I misread blizzard first and your explanation is more than reasonable....I apologize

9. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Is that just a handful of blocks from Gastown?

10. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Yes.

here is a pretty good map

Its going to go where "Heliport" currently is on the map in the top right. the new Vancouver-Richmond-Airport skytrain(monorail) will terminates at waterfront station, which is the same place the current line (red) ends. The new trade and Convention centre is just west of canada place and the spot where the "Harbour Air seaplanes" is on the map.

11. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    Sorry if this has been asked but is there any news about an official statement or when they are to break ground.

Thanks.

12. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Nothing official yet. But the normal news outlets are starting to get wind of it. Actually even the leaks are pretty thin. All that is known is the owner of the whitecaps has bought a big slice of land. Everything else is based on peoples views, or comments made by the whitecaps months and months ago.

My personal guess is they are going to have to move pretty quick on this. The Fifa Youth Tournament is only 22 months away. Other who I have talked to believe things will wait until after the civil election this fall. But I really think thats too late.

13. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks piltdownman. I must say a stadium on waterfront sounds beautiful.

14. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    Yes. Although it isn't an area that is user friendly for pedestrians now, since it is cut off by railroad tracks. But I would assume all this would be corrected if a stadium went up. It would be a beautiful location with great views of the Northshore mountains if planned well.

15. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Ok I've taken the satellite pictures and put boxs to scale of the Madejski stadium in Reading. Why Madejski you might ask? 1: I read somewhere that kerfoot was impressed with it when he went to the uk. 2: its about the right size seat wise for the stadium talked about. 3: its the first stadium of that size range that I was able to google not only pitch size, but building dimensions.

The inside box is the pitch, outside the entire building. Note I have not put the building over the train tracks, but I have put it over the road to the seabus. I figure they can build the stadium so it allows the road to go under the stadium. The smaller boxes, are where I would guess walkways would be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its interesting to notice that piling will have to go in, or the water reclaimed for the stadium to work either way. Also now that I'm all done I think I should have moved the North-South Stadium more east as its in the sea busses way. Also remember that the google map might not be anywhere close to scale. This is a really rough estimate.

16. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    I found a really good picture of the area for those that are still confused, its at very bottom and this photo is facing west.

[​IMG]

or get a High res version here

17. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    OMG! That would be a great location. As far as wanting or not wanting a Canadian team in MLs. I say, bring the I/O and a SSS and you're in.

If there are more deserving markets in the US, then they will step up with the same. I'll take Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal over the fiasco that was San Antonio.

If I had a say, I would love to see both Toronto and Vancouver enter the league, along with Portland and Houston (or maybe Milwuakee - a shout out for my Wilt).

Portland has such a great soccer environment with hard core fans. Go Timbers Army!!!

18. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for the great pics pilt. Those really help.

19. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    From todays MLS chat:
    So that settles how things will work with Canadian teams.

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who missed Garber's chat today, the question was asked (by me, I might add :D ) what the outlook for expansion is. His response was that the league is targeting 2007 for the next round of expansion, with Toronto the frontrunner and the 2nd city unknown. He is meeting with Peter Wilt in August about Milwaukee.

21. el gringo

el gringo New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    no where.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nothing to do with me I guess but I voted yes. You need more teams... simple as.

If you look at the position in many European countries, including places like Scotland where they have a seperate league from England, they tend to suffer because they find it difficult to retain their best players. It's the same situation in places like Belgium, Holland, etc.

I can't think of a reason why anyone would deliberately reduce the viability and competitiveness of their soccer economy.