Should I really be buying season tickets???

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I know SSV is capable of getting an investor, I know we have another season at Spartan and I know we aren't privi to all the details but.........should we really jump on the season tickets without any guarantee's that we will have a team past 2005? Will season ticket sales draw an investor? I didn't "pledge" but was the pledge "I'll buy season tickets if the team will stay......or if the team will stay for 2005" so AEG can find a place to move us or SSV can find an investor? I'd just like to know what our objective is with the season ticket thing.....so I can decide if I want to deal with the season ticket mess again. Afterall, this isn't supposedly about the attendance now......right? Help me out here.

2. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    simple.

YES!

3. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    But why?

4. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    if for no other reason than to show SSV that their efforts were for naught...

IMHO, this is one of your worst threads....;)

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you can enjoy top-level live soccer on a regular basis? Regardless of whether they're here in 2006, I'm going to be there in 2005.

6. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    if you need a reason, there is a stadium about 360 miles south of here that might take you in...

7. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I'd don't think any person on the planet needs a season ticket to show anyone that SSV's efforts have made a huge difference. I'd rather donate the money straight to them. Maybe the season ticket pledges should still be used as a bargaining chip. My point is just because AEG has given us one more year at Spartan, is that reason enough to jump on board? If SSV explains why it will help, i'm up for it but i'm not blindly dumping my money into AEG's pocket quite yet. I don't see AEG's committment to 2005 as anything but a "we have no other options" move. SSV turned the lights on while AEG was trying to sneak out of SJ in the middle of the night under cover of MLS expansion and Freddymania. Tony A's dog and pony show ironically gummed up the works long enough to make AEG sit back down for another season and give SSV some breathing room which was sorely needed.

8. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Oh yeah.....they love me there. :rolleyes:

9. harddrv

harddrv New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    YES!!!!!!!

It is our way to show support for the team and SSV for all their hard work. It is what has gotten this far in keeping the team

BUY TICKETS - IF YOU PLEDGED _ HONOR YOUR PLEDGE

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tell me which one a potential investor would be more impressed with:
    1) a person giving money to SSV for one year
    2) a person buying season tickets every year

11. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Without getting into too much detail, every potential investor wants to know, "Why is AEG selling?" The answer to that question, ignoring all the obstacles this team has had to overcome and boiling things down to the most basic, is that attendance is not what it could and should be. The more season ticket holders there are, the better the attendance. The better the attendance, the more likely the team is to stay here. If the Quakes were averaging 17,500 paid a game, there would not be any urgency to sell the team. While there are no guarantees in life, getting season tickets is a concrete way fans can help keep the team here.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how you are interpreting what has happened in this way. :confused: There were, and are, other potential investors besides Tony A.

And aside from that, as others have said, buying those season tickets creates figures that are effective in showing a potential investor what the fan base is.

13. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Oh.....i'll be there either way, season tickets are a statement, a base, money in the bank......even though we have 8-9k loyal fans, front offices look at season ticket sales, not loyal fan base. If you get 10,000 season tickets pledged....that's a nice barganing chip, I'd just like to know why we are playing that chip right now? SSV is on the verge of being very influencial with the Quakes.....if they somehow can turn those pledges(however many there really are) into a block purchase that they can offer up when they feel it is appropriate.....it could be huge. I just think it's a bit premature.

14. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should buy our tickets because we said we would. That's what "pledge" means. Besides, even if we knew for sure that the Earthquakes would be in Houston in 2006, wouldn't you still want to see them play while you still could?

15. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Thanks for getting my point helmet......I guess if this is really helping you guys convince potential investors to come to the table, then i'm for it. I'll do my 4 tickets but I really hope that everyone that pledged comes through....will SSV have a way to track this? Are they able to contact pledges?

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, ldb, cough up the dough, man!! You already cost us the conference final by angering the gods with unbounded overconfidence and trash talking. You owe this one to the team. :)

17. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without taking the time to read the rest of the posts in this thread I'm going to have to say that I URGE you and everyone else to purchase season tickets. An increase in season ticket pledges helps SSV in the following ways?

1. Helps SSV show current interested, and future potential investors that this is the market to be in. It will show that this is a market that will support a franchise, and that their investment will be a good one. It will also show MLS, AEG, and the rest of the league that San Jose has a solid fan base. We increased by 24% this past season. Let's see how much we can increase it next season.

2. Helps SSV show that building a stadium, and spending money on one, will be a solid investment as this sport and franchise continue to grow. The next few years will be big for US Soccer, and we need to be part of it.

If we don't increase our season ticket numbers, of if they decline, it will make our job 10X's harder. How can you expect SSV to sell a team that is in decline? If we continue to increase the most important number (season tickets), and can get an increase at the gates, then our job become much easier. Buying season tickets is the BIGGEST thing you as fans can do to help SSV and our efforts.

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    If you pledged season tickets(i did not), then you should honor your pledge. If your pledges were contingent on the Quakes staying through 2005, then honor your pledge. If your pledges were contingent on a longer stay, maybe not. I just think that depending on how many pledges there are, it could be a huge carrot to dangle and it could be fed to the donkey(AEG) all at once to show SSV member unity. And no....if the Quakes were guaranteed to be gone in 2006....I would attend all 2005 games via walk-up and that would be the last penny AEG would get from me.

19. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What everyone else said. To support the team and to keep them here.

It's also to show that this area is right for top flight soccer.

Once I get the invoice from the Quakes, I'm there for 2005!

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pledges weren't made as a bargaining chip--they were a demonstration of support.

21. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

OK....if you say so.....consider it done. Thanks for breaking it down tony.

22. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we will be able to track this. We have the list of people who pledged, and how much they pledged. We will be able to run the numbers against the FO numbers to see how it all turns out.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

If that was ever officially announced (ahead of time or no), my support for the league would end right there.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Tell it brutha!

25. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because if you don't, potential investors will say, "Wow, they couldn't even get living ded boy to come on down from San Ramon!" There is no support!