Should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by saabrian, Aug 19, 2002.

1. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coach to start the season next year should be:

a) Steve Nicol
    b) A coach with more experience
    c) Anyone but Nicol

2. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....BUH-BYE.....

RC

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They gave FC two years, give Nicol two also. Let him rebuild the team and put the players he wants. Its not coaching, its management. You know how I know, just take a look at our "blockbuster" trade.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's kind of silly to contemplate firing Nicol w/o knowing what the alternative might be. I would let him go if there was someone else I really wanted to hire. Giving him a full opportunity to run the whole show shouldn't stand in the way of getting someone exceptional.

5. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As regards teh " blockbuster" trade are we really worse off? I think the worst part of the deal was that we made the Mutts better. Chrono as much as he may have given to this team over the years, just isn't all that good. the other two simply want to play here. Diallo's lack off effort as opposed to what he's shown since the tade was a joke.
    It's unfortunate that Serna's injury occured, but of course this couldn't have been forseen. Hernadez is mediocre and Kamler doesn't offer much. We should have got more from a different team if we could have.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. If Nichol can replace our current SI's with Bishop quailty English players he's worth keeping around. If he can not I think we've seen what he can do and it isn't pretty.

6. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    The only thing that will ever get the Revs franchise up to par is a core of quality players, a coach that can motivate the players and a consistant coaching style/plan that's in place over a number of years. Changing just because things aren't going well at the moment just sets us up for more of the same.

I think we have a core of good young players and a coach that can get them to show up to play. We have a few holes thatneed and can be filled over this off season. lets give that a chance before we throw it al away---again---and need to start from scratch.

7. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I still think that we can learn a few things about Nicol this year. If Pierce comes back and plays well and we have no more injuries in the back, then we will have Brown (who's play is at least decent right now), Rusty, Heaps, Joey, Kante, and Llamosa to play in the back, decent wing play in Ralston and Griffiths, and a central midfield of some grouping of Hernandez, Cullen, and Rooney. Whiel he can't pull a good attacking mid or second forward out of a hat, at least he has a decent defense to work with. If he can at least mold this group into a strong unit that A) is hard to score on and B) show some real pride in defneding our goal, then I would be ok with his coming back. While some people complain about his lack of imagination on offense, this team is never going to win consistantly until we can protect our goal, especially on the road. One of the Rev players (I think Sommer) said at the beginning of the year that the team with the best GAA has made it to the MLS Cup every year, and it will probably happen again this year.

8. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    I say let's have the bigsoccer posters run the team

Some can coach, others can run the front office etc

Wait no that wouldn't work - who would b!tch ????

Let Steve stay and buy his own groceries

9. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You joke but could we do worse than last place nearly every year?

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gone

If SN was going to return next year, the interim tag would have been removed by now.

The "best team on paper", but SN is 5-10 on the field.

The defense has been hurt, but now that they are healthy, the offense is disappearing.

Win 4 of the last 6 and prove we have something to build on and he can stay, otherwise, time to fall back and regroup yet again.

And whoever is responsible for "the trade" can go with him.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem I have with this is that there's not any indication that SN is the right guy for the job. At least when they brought back FC after his bad year, they could look back and say, "Well, he did a really nice job in 2000." SN has been on the job for about three months now, and his team hasn't shown us anything.
    If you're in charge of the Revs, and you aren't convinced that SN is the guy to lead this franchise to the promised land, then you fire him. You don't keep a coach you're not happy with around simply because you're not sure you can find someone better.