Should Donovan be suspended?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Shabs, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    For anyone who didn't see it, LD had two red-cardable offenses in the Metros-SJ game. A VERY late tackle on Guevara, which he was given a yellow for, and a forearm/elbow into Johnny Walker, the Metros GK, after Walker had caught the ball over his head. Donovan simply stuck his elbow out as he was running by Walker, into Walkers gut. Donovan didnt even get a yellow. Superstar treatment? Definitely. Should be reviewed by the league? I think so. Donovans foul was WELL after the ball was caught, was obviously intentional, and what other reason would one do that other than with intent to injure?

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If there is any argument against LD warranting a suspension, it is that the refereeing turned to pot in the last half hour and, in such circumstances, there were several players on both sides that required heavy sedation during the run of play.

3. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    the thing with Walker was absolutely nothing. Donovan did throw out his elbow, but to me, it looked like he missed, or grazed Walker at best. Then Walker pulled a Amado Guevara and started holding his face.

The other incedent, when Donovan kicked Guevara, should have been a straight red, but i didn't see any obvious superstar treatment. In real time, it didn't look that bad, but the replay showed it was late and intentional. MLS will definatley review it and i wouldn't be suprised if LD was suspended a game.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Oh yeah, 5'-9'',155 pound Donovan Beat up 6'-3'' 180 pound walker:rolleyes: Whine about your lame complaints on the MetroSars board and don't pollute this one with your nonsense. The answer to your idiotic question is no.

5. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    No doubt about it. Both plays were red cards. The Gueverra incident was a very late, and harsh challenge. Yellow was light. However, there can be the argument that he mistimed it.

The Walker incident is completely different. Walker had the ball. Landon came in a little bit later, and struck Walker in the midsection with his elbow. First off, it was an elbow. Secondly, it was Walker, the goaltender, who already had possesion of the ball. There was no reason for him to put the elbow out, especially after Walker had the ball. Even if he missed, the fact that he tried to hit Walker with an elbow after the goalie had the ball is insane.

Being angry is no excuse for acting stupid, especially when the second replay proved that he struck Walker.

6. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Cheapshotting a GK when hes in midair has nothing to do with "beating him up". And keep your irrational, inflammatory, and asinine posts on your board. Thanks.

7. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely MLS will at least review the incidents.

Some people must have seen a different game, because that elbow donovan through on walker wasn't light...

Walker was in a defenceless position and donovan socked him VERY late with the forearm.

Did the ref even call a foul on that play? I can't remember.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intent, intent, intent. LD intended to elbow Walker. Maybe he nicked him, I think he did. But the extent of the contact is not the issue. He went into the keeper with an elbow extended. The way I understand the rules, that is not allowed.

9. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    That was one of the worst reffed games this year(and it always seems to be Metros matches). The best revenge was that the Metros won. Beerking is just sore his team lost.

10. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    in all honesty, there's good reason for that. You have arguably the dirtiest player in MLS and he has become a target when other teams play Metro. It's always harder for a ref when the game get scrappy.

11. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Foul - Could have been Red, Yellow was the minimum punishment...

Second Foul - Nothing, weak, stop crying...

Suspended, if the league judges his first foul on guevara to have been a straight red, they will suspend him a game, if they think the ref did a good job (haha, this ref sucked) then he won't get suspended...

MLS won't even care about the walker thing cuz it wasn't anything, it was weak...

I say nothing happens to Donovan, and I'de rather be able to watch him the rest of the season, i hate suspensions...

players should only be suspended the game after a red, i don't like the points system, if refs did their jobs we wouldn't have to wait for waibel, franchino, or other hacks to be suspended, they would be handed straight reds and be gone...

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the foul on Guevara was committed by Mathis or Franchino or Pareja, he would have been ejected for it. The first leg was a foul; the second was malicious.

The foul on Walker? Eh, that one's a lot tougher to justify as a bookable offense, let alone a suspension. It's only in light of the first foul that the second foul looks like it was an intent to injure.

13. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Just because he's puny, it doesn't give him the right to drive an elbow into a keeper.

1. He had no intention to play the ball. In fact, he had no chance to get to the ball.
    2. He deliberately raised his elbow while charging the keeper who already had the ball.

How can anyone say this’s not a bookable offense?? Suspension after the review by the league? I don’t think so since Walker appeared to be OK at the end. However, the ref did blow the call.

14. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't know. I felt the second foul is much worse, as he had absolutely NO REASON to go after Walker. Why go at him with an elbow jutted out? What possible justification can there be for that.

Sure the first foul was much more dangerous, however you can argue he mistimed it (i doubt it). The second one just blew my mind away, because it was just inexcusable (thoughts of Mamadou Diallo on Amman). The first replay was inconclusive. The second one was clear that Landon struck Walker. When I saw that, I thought straight red.

15. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    What player is that?

16. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keepers are always getting ran into, especially on purpose, i've seen keepers in the air with the ball in their possession and a player runs in and takes out their legs, part of being a keeper, i haven't seen a player run into a keeper, elbow or no elbow, taking the legs out or not taking the legs out, and be red carded, please...

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I wouldn't be shocked if got a one game suspension. I didn't see the first foul but I saw the elbow into Walker. Its not the seriousness of the foul as much as it is the fact that he threw the elbow, his intent. It wasn't like it is was thrown up to protect himself, nor was it a 50-50, he was just going a little too far.

18. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    i definitely think that some players get away with alot. Also there is no consistency among the ref. one ref will immediately give yellows and reds and others won't. I would be interested to see which team and which ref give out the most yellows and reds and which team has gotten the most..

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. for the most part it seems that this board has turned into a Metros fans vs. San Jose fans argument. I happened to be rooting for SJ because i'm a DCU fan, and it was better for United if the Metros lost, but San Jose fans need to get a grip on this one. Donovan made an ATROCIOUS foul on Guevara, and had a couple of other plays where he went hard at players on fouls right after that. On the play with Walker, he INTENTIONALLY threw his elbow into Walker after Walker had secured the high ball. there was absolutely no reason to do it and it could have resulted in injury (i know, because i had a rib broken on a play just like that last year in my soccer league). He was clearly angry, and frustrated, and if he had been almost anybody besides LD, he would have been in the shower after the foul on the goalie. Who in here said that people don't get carded for taking out goalies legs???? are you nuts?!! i've seen plenty of people carded for doing it ACCIDENTALLY ........ much less a guy who clearly did it in anger.

20. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking Red Cards...which the point of this thread is would he be suspended...almost same thing...

yellow maybe, but not a 2nd yellow or a red..., it was weak...

and i'm neither a metro or san jose fan...neutral fan, actually wanted the metros to win cuz I would rather see a well ran club like the Fire get the Supporters Shield than a team like San Jose...

21. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    a gentleman called Guevara.

22. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I have great respect for Donovan for his talent,
    but today sorry to see he took out his frustrations by commiting those fouls. I watch Earthquake games and some times I saw how Donovan gets frustrated for various reasons.....may be he realized that he should have gone Europe where he could elevate his play to the next level?

23. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where are the san jose ultras? you'd think they'd be over the moon now that they have a true "hard man" on their team. i guess they are busy masturbating to hooligan videos imported from britain.

:D

24. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Learning how to hang their banners right-side up?

Later,
    COZ

25. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the golden child, he won't get jack $#!t.