Shooting

Discussion in 'Player' started by Freak of Nature, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Freak of Nature

Freak of Nature New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Detroit
    I am having trouble i am 13(still improving) but I cannot get off very powerful shots. Also I take free kicks and I am right footed however I cannot score with my right because I lack power. On the other hand I can score on free kicks with my left because I can put a lot of curl on a shot but not with my right. I need some help.

2. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    its pretty simple im 14 now had the smae problem when i was 12...turning 13........just bsically eat ur veggis......and go out and jus keep shooting....every day it slowly improves ur strength...and also if your heatlhy enuough.....try and left some weights...about 2-3 times a week...dont over due it tho

3. OWkEaNe

OWkEaNe New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    NY
    a lot of shooting is natural talent, but you can definitely improve and become a great shooter. basically you have to practice like hawk_claw said, and dont give up. i can kick with both feet very well, and i was basically born that way, but if you keep shooting eventually muscle memory takes over and you start gaining more power. i didn't grow until i turned 15, so when i was 12, 13 etc i didnt have a tremendous shot, but i hit my growth spurt and i am now 6'3" and can kick much better. just keep with it, and think about the basics.

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Form, form, form, form, form, form.

Practice, practice, practice, practice.

You will get power when you get the right form. There are several good threads in this forum (use the search function or go a few pages back, it wasn't too long ago) where there's some excellent advice from many people on improving your form and strength for shooting.

5. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    Learn to give the ball topspin. It makes your shots a lot faster and much harder for goalkeepers to handle.

The basic striking concept is based on striking the ball from underneath and following through upwards. It may feel kinda wierd at first but when you get good at it it's invaluble.

6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To get a hard shot off make sure you strike through the middle of the ball with your laces. Keep your knee and head over the ball this will stop you from blazing the ball up in the air. It does take a lot of practice to perfect though.

The best thing you can do is find a big wall and practice powering the ball against it. You need to work on your leg muscles to give you extra power. And remember to follow through this will add power to the shot. But its all in the technique of how you strike the ball. Look up and pick your target and then keep your eyes on the ball and strike through the middle of it.

It is really important to keep your eyes on the ball though when you hit it otherwise it will go everywhere and you'll probably end up falling over considering you wanted to smack the leather off the ball - lol.

Its just getting out of the habbit that a lot of young players have of thinking they can shoot for goal using the side of the foot. Its fine if you are picking your spot and it doesnt need much power. But if you need to smash the ball you need to use the laces :)

Once you've mastered that you can practice putting swerve on a powerful shot by scuffing your laces across the ball in the opposite direction you want the ball to travel. Again this takes a lot of practice.

So practice and remember to have fun!

appleCORR

7. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    for me, it was form first, then worrying about power... the power will come.. I have seen some real small guys rip hard shots.

8. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    If your right foot is not very powerful you obviously can fix this problem practicing a lot. But I think that a well-planned strength training (machines, weight lifting) could also be useful. You can ask your coach or PE teacher about this stuff. But remember, every ST makes an athlete bulky and slow so don't work on it too much before important games, tryouts etc ;) .

9. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    shoot against a wall all day until the ball explodes. then find a new ball and repeat until that ball explodes. on this site people give out good hints with regard to form and the exact spot where should hit the ball, but until you go out and practice for hours, you will not improve your shot that much.

10. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    It's all form... you don't NEED to be big. Being big helps, but technique is what gives you a good shot. I am the smallest on my team but I have the best shot. Shoot with your ankle locked, knee over the ball. Follow through by sort of jumping up and landing on your kicking foot. Kick with your laces until you find a sweet spot. Also, kick the middle of the ball and come from a slight angle. It takes a while, but you'll get it eventually with a lot of practice. Good Luck.

11. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Yeah, what he said.

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This about sums it up.. height/weight doesnt matter that much (look at Beasley)..

I would add that a finishing touch for that little extra would be to make sure you get a large backswing with your kicking leg so you can really wind up on the actual kicking motion.

13. hkeat

hkeat New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Malaysia
    yeah, i do that (lettered in bold)

14. hkeat

hkeat New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Malaysia
    Yeah, i do that (lettered in bold) and it works some of the time. I haven't perfect it yet...