Shinguards

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by dinger00, Oct 18, 2004.

1. dinger00

dinger00 New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Hi,
    I was recently told that my shinguards were not up to the state's regulation size. I was wondering if anybody has tried/used the new Nike total 90 shinguards, and if you could tell me how they work, if they're comfortable, and anything else that might be helpfull in picking shinguards out. Also any recommendations of what you may use on your shins would be great, thanks!

2. Usafan

Usafan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Who told you?

Where do you live?

I like the parker OSI. The smaller the better. I wear the youth small. Plus I'm 185 lbs. If you play quick. Buy the small ones.

If you play rough and get hacked all the time, maybe buy a larger size.

The quick skill players I see tend to wear lite small ones.

3. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Oregon USA
    pretty much everybody i know and see where the smallest shin guards they can find, like the nike j guard or vapor guard that i use

4. dinger00

dinger00 New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Umm...I'm from South Dakota, and the high school rules state that the shinguard has to cover 3/4 of the shin, and I guess my adidas ones didn't meet the guidelines...who knows though...I'm a forward, but I do get chopped at quite a bit...being I'm getting new ones b/c my other ones got cracked in half from a kick.

5. Usafan

Usafan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Boy, those are lame rules. Probably written by some helmet wearing x-football player. But rules are rules.

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If shin guards fit correctly and don't slide around, a reasonable amount of weight quickly becomes unnoticable.

7. 10frankie

10frankie New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Glasgow
    does anybody on this thread know were i can get nike bps contour chrome shingaurds

8. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah -- I agree. The biggest problem I ahve with heavy guard is that they fall down and/or slide to the side. I wear a cheap pair of Brine's that are very light and a about 6.5 inches. They're a good fit but do not offer much protection....so there is a trade off. Comfort Vs. Protection.

9. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    im a center back but i believe im a "quick" player being ableto run with or out run most fowards. i wear small shins pretty high up and i'm about 5'10. in regards to the total 90 shins, the other day when playing for my highschool i went in for a hard 50/50 ball and cracked the other players guard in half and they happened to be total 90's so i really dno if they are good guards or not because my thin cheap guards went threw many hard tackles and are still holdin up.. just get what's comfortable. :)

10. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    get the molten cobras. I got some, they're really nice. they're way light, a decent size, dont hold odor, and are moldable... they're great.

11. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    ^^^^^
    Ditto. Those are great. Only problem I had was I left em' in the car and they got so hot that they flattened out. Heh...but hey...they have a lifetime warranty. Well, well worth the $$$. The sleeves that come with it are also very good.

12. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    they're remoldable too, so it's alright if you mess up the first time :D could very well be the last pair of shingaurds u ever buy. I'm loving that they don't smell. it's so nice.

13. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite

I totally agree. I'm a scrappy striker, and get hacked ALL the time. I bought a pair of the red nike contour BPS from foot locker on sale, and they are huge. With that said they are the greatest guards i've ever worn. I've cracked quite a few pair, ripped a few pair, and these things are tough. The one thing that i do not like is since they dont absorb sweat, I carry a small towel to wipe them down after a game, if not the sweat will dry and accumulate on the back of the guard. Also the 2 straps, if you dont air them out, will stink to high heaven, and no amount of lysol has been able to cure it. Overall they are awesome guards.

...Just my 2 cents...

14. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Good post, Darren. I use Brine (I think they're brine, they're at home and I'm at work) that just sort of "float" there with a compression sleeve. They cover about 1/2 of my shin and nothing else. I basically wear them just to keep the refs from ejecting me, really.

I've found them to be the best guards I've owned, but eventually in every game I have to adjust my socks not because they're in the way or uncomfortable, but because they will fall an inch or two and it feels good to have your socks pulled up. It happens more with my indoor shoes than with my predators, perhaps it's the way the inside of the preds grip the sock or something. I'd like to find some pro-style socks like the EPL teams wear, that are thin but obviously REALLY tight and don't let go of your guards. I wear Adidas Copa socks and they're the best I've found but they still need adjustment at least once a game.

15. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite

Thats antother thing about the contour bps guards, they have never slipped on me, unless im getting hacked, they stay put. I use the copa socks, and i love them. The thing about thinner socks, is i would probably have to go down a half size in my boots if i did use another sock. Another thing that works really well for me is taping (atheltic, some use electrical) the bottom of the sock right underneath the guards, the guard cant slip any further than the tape. Some guys i play with tape high, I tape low cause the guards are so big. The tape also minimizes the sock movement in the boot (if that's a problem) You might want to try the tape thing it helps me out a bunch.

...Just my 2 cents...