Shifting Gears - The Axel Tuanzebe Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, May 8, 2017.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the only plus coming out of the charity match for Arsene Wenger. very cool head for 19. didn't panic and always looked to make the pass out of defence. it was hardly an easy debut being in an incoherent side and facing Alexis Sánchez as well.

now that he has fully debuted in the league he should get his own thread.

Discuss potential, hopes and all things Axel here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J'can, johno, jeff070 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Excellent.

Please let him play the rest of the way in the league.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Will be sold in the summer.

benni... and Gilma1990 repped this.
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was very impressed. He kept Sanchez quiet all game long, looked physically ready, and most importantly stayed very calm. If only he could mentor Smalling and Jones to not shit their pants every time the ball comes their direction.

jeff070 and benni... repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't mind at all seeing play in central defense next to Bailly at the Lane next weekend, just to see how he does in his natural position. From a composure and calm point of view, he looks like the ideal type of compliment to Beastmode's all action style. A player of that kind is the type of CB we ought to target this summer, if at all possible.
    Still not 100% what to do with Tuanzebe yet as far as next season is concerned. Still think that a season or erhaps even just half a season on loan somewhere could be good for him (games are what he needs), but we might find ourselves short in the CB dept and he might be needed so who knows?

6. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great prospect. Looking forward to seeing more of him. If Jose is not gonna play him then he should loan him out to a lower table side where he can start.

7. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm assuming Bailly will be wrapped in cotton for the final 2 (hopefully) Europa games, but I'd love to see him partner with Bailly. Axel was very composed on the ball even as he was shunted out of position, and never panicked. He passed back when he should have and attempted to go forward when he could. And Sanchez was in his pocket for the entire match - a proven matchwinner was in our teenager's pocket.

I will say one thing. Jose better not waste another season of this guy. This season was bullshit as it was - he and Fosu should have gone elsewhere if they were going to get this underutilized. He should be with us next year after we clear out the Brothers Twat and Twit in Smalling and Jones.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He needs to play the rest of the season. If he holds up then get rid Jones and maybe Smalling if we can get another CB in.

jeff070 repped this.
  9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The narrator's voice is annoying but this is a nice youtube compilation of the boy's brilliant debut performance.

10. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    not going to pretend i know much about him - i watch zero reserves games - but i like what i've read and i liked what i saw vs arsenal.

mourinho acknowledged that he's a natural cb but i'm ok with him playing rb for now. it's a good way to get used to the speed of the big leagues and it won't make him 'forget' how to play cb.

i wouldn't want him to lose confidence by, say, making critical mistakes and getting ragdolled by kane and alli in the next game.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tuanzebe won't be ragdolled by many, maybe Lukaku and Costa. If Sanchez gets sent hurtling, there's no way Kane ragdolls him.

12. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    didn't mean in the physical sense, just getting done up. which could very well happen. i don't think there's any need to throw him out there in the middle just yet.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok. As long as we are clear ;).

14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The boy was very impressive. Now that top four is beyond all reasonable debate I say let Axel roll. And a couple of other whippersnappers who've worked hard all season and have earned the right to make their United debut. We'll see what Axel can do in these remaining games, but if he proves to be brilliant then we may have to reconsider whether we really want to spend 50m on a new CB this summer.

There's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Unleash the Axel!

15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    a bit after the fact but Axel should be the one called Iceman. not a shot at Lindelöf (though i am annoyed with him) but i really like Axel's composure.

it's almost as if he doesn't realise (or doesn't care) which stage he is on. hopefully he gets games in more regular intervals.

he's wasted in the u23s or reserve league whatever

16. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe they call Lindelof Ice Man because he freezes when he sees opposing players coming at him. If so, it is his name to keep.

cr7torossi, United 16 and johno repped this.
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not possible to give the 19 year Axel Tuanzebe too much praise for his ability, athleticism and composure. I don't recall seeing him putting in a bad foot yet.

It's as clear as day that we never needed to bring in Lindelof, that between Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah our CB squadron was set. And in a pinch we could always call upon Blind.

But now that both players, Lindelof and Tuanzebe, have been given a decent runout this season we've had a chance to see what both can do. There's no doubt who's the better CB.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He needs to be involved in the first team next year, getting rid of Darmian/Blind/Smalling or Jones.

I could see Jose using him as a back up to Valencia.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    if Valencia keeps slipping down the slope he's currently he on Axel might just be first choice if no one is bought come August

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Axel needs to go back out on loan in my opinion. He needs the game time and we can afford to be patient with him.

I definitely dont want to see him at RB offering nothing offensively. We need more than speed and physicality at this position.

jeff070 repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to guess, I'd say that only one of Timmy or Tuanzebe will be with the senior team next season. And I believe Timmy will be it. All things being equal, I'd venture that Jose will send Tuanzebe out on loan again as the article suggests.
    And it just might ultimately be the best thing for him, since staying at the club, he'd probably be well behind a number of players in pretty much all positions he could play in.
    His loan stint with Villa, while not a complete failure was still interrupted by injuries. And more than anything else, he needs to play pretty regularly, which he would not get at United next season. A loan to a bottom half Prem team where he has a chance to nail down a regular spot, it would still be the best for him (and United in the long run).

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Being reported back to Villa on season long loan. With no JT or Samba may hopefully get some playing time this time around.

Futbol_Head and benni... repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Ashur, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019

“I have grown up at Manchester United and it has always been a big part of my life and my family’s life. I appreciate the trust that the club has in me and I want to repay that with my performances on the pitch.

“I know I have a lot of hard work and learning ahead of me but the experience I gained throughout last season puts me in good stead for the future ahead. I am determined to give everything and show everyone the player that I can be.

”I can’t wait for the tour to get started and to see what the upcoming season brings.”

Ole's thoughts: “Axel is a great example of the type of player that has come through the Manchester United system. He is humble, hard-working, talented and a team player.

“He had a successful time on loan with Aston Villa and has gained a lot of experience from that spell, which ended in promotion to the Premier League. He will come on the pre-season tour with us which will help his development further.”Ole

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/axel-tuanzebe-agrees-new-long-term-united-contract