Sheryl Swoopes says she's a lesbian, says some interesting things

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 26, 2005.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    As of this morning...one lesbian message board that I troll really didn't have much discussion on this.

2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, does it really matter?

I mean, so long as she and her coach are not doing the nasty on the foul line, who cares? Should we really care? ANd should I care enough to continously post "Who cares"???

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you troll a lesbian board?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [​IMG]

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I tell my wife, I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body. :D

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I heard Kevin Spacey is a lesbian.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm no expert either, and I haven't read this thread (sorry), so I apologize if this is redundant given the discourse up to this point...

According to queer theorists, her attitude, I believe, fits in perfectly w/in the "gay-ness" (my term to be used on BS; not a acamademic term). Part of the politico-cultural fight of the gay movement is precisely to break down the barriers involved in sexual identity politics: the Heterosexual/Homosexual dichotomy. Few ppl fall into these mutually exclusively categories. There are heteros that have homo-erotic fantasies to varying degrees, and at times have acted upon them. There are gays who have hetero-erotic fantasies and ahve acted upon them. Or not.

But who's to say that you have to fall in one category.

Now, where things get complicated is w/in the political realm, b/c gays have historically been criminalized, demonized, beaten, killed (Nazi Germany) and in general denied rights and privileges associated w/ being a human being and a citizen. (The legal and political fight is b/c the term "homosexuality" was invented by doctors a couple of centuries ago and IMMEDIATELY made illegal in Western Europe. Read Foucoult for more info.)

B/c of the political battle for equal rights, many gays and lesbians become militant, dogmatic and just plain ol' orthodox and they buy into the hetero/homo dichotomy.

Which truly goes vs. the basic tenets of queer theory. (Having said that, there are quite articulate theorists who advocate the dichotomy for a variety of reasons, but truly they have no reach as far as shaping opinion in the movement. At least in my opinion.)

So Uberdave: I don't think her story is unique, b/c truly, everybody's sexual identity floats somewhere away from the polar extremes of militant, radical Breederdom and militant, radical Queerdom. The key word is "floats" b/c it's not anchored in one spot for eternity.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with all due respect to queer theory, I don't believe that. I think, based on my personal experience of knowing people, that the vast majority of people are 90+% hetero or 90+% homo.

But I'll add this to the list of questions I'll ask God when I die.

"Oh, so that's how JFK was killed. Wow. Um, sorry to monopolize your time, but hey, you're omnipotent and omnipresent, and we have all eternity, so yeah, I've got another question. What is the nature of human sexuality?"

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Have you ever been to a lesbian bar? I went one time to see a straight female friend of mine dance in a contest. My friend is/was smoking hot and a great dancer. The audience practically boo-ed her off stage b/c they could tell she was straight.

The bar was stacked w/ tons and tons of gorgeous lip-stick lesbians. Serious talent that night. NOBODY EVEN LOOKED AT ME!!, and I'm not ugly. NOBODY LOOKED AT MY HOT FRIEND, b/c she wasn't into women. So why bother?

My point is that working on that cruise would be thee most miserable, unerotic experience.

Sorry... :(

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're not getting the point.

1. You can't quantify sexuality into tidy little categories, especially w/ %.
    2. Queer theorists have shown that part of human sexual development makes a play on the slippery division between homo-social and homo-erotic.

Take for instance teenage girls and their infatuation w/ boy bands, whether it be Duran Duran or the Backstreet Boys or whatever.

On the spectator side, it is predominantly female, and it is an erotically charged experience. It is a homo-social experience of an erotic nature. It's "safe" to explore feelings of sexuality to a heightened level but not quite at the experimental level.

On the stage side, they are all guys, thrusting their pelvises and essentially, well, acting kinda gay. It is a homo-social act of an erotic nature.

That's not to say that all these girls are going to be gay. What I'm trying to highlight is the slippery division between hetero-erotic and homo-erotic, homo-social and homo-erotic.

That's it's not a 100%-0% dichotomy. That it's actually quite abnormal to have 100% hetero-erotic or homo-erotic thoughts and experiences all of your adult life.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I got the point. I just disagree with it.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Every woman is a few drinks away from being a lesbian."

BTW, this quote has been uttered to me at one time or another by half the lesbians that I've known and is not founded in any sort of scientific data whatsoever.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, couldn't she have done any better than Ellen DeGeneres?

15. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    For the record, I am a straight.

16. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    brush up on queer theory, then report back. I don't have the time to take you through it step by step, as that would require a lot of writing and a lot of reading. In about another month or so I'll be back on a project working on queer theory. Perhaps then I'll take you through it.

For now, suffice to say that it is foolhardy to put any label and especially % on sexual identity. Queer theory isn't necessarily about genital-on-genital contact, but rather the varying degrees of subtleties in sexuality.

Plus, gay and lesbian "activity" still exist underground. Not many friends, family and cohorts are going to say, "Yeah, man, I went to a sports bar to watch Monday Night Football and then got myself some nice ****. man was that good!" Nor will they confess to intimate fantasies that hardly fit in any definition of socially acceptable, whether it be kinky hetero sex or homo.

So using your own personal and informal poll won't suffice.

having said that, I recall seeing recently that only 4% of adult men and women were exclusively gay during their adulthood. And even the # of "predominantly gay" was a tad below the traditional 10%. BUT, iirc, the number of ppl that had had homosexual genital contact in adulthood was somewhere in the 15-24% range. Throw in adolescence and that number goes up a little more. This is all off memory...

Now. Throw in "fantasy", and you've got a whopping paradigm shift.

17. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I think you just described the classic "norm of reaction". Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sheryl Swoopes comming out of the closet will mean?

a) Show other closeted athletes that someone has the balls to come out

b) The WNBA will increase it's marketing to lesbians.

c) ITN condemns SS to hell

d) It's all the fault of one thing: Title IX

19. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Just wanna say that going to a college 10 minutes from Bryn Mawr has its benefits. Can you say "Lesbian Prom?'

That's right. I crashed lesbian prom last year.

20. Emmet Kipengwe

Aug 15, 2004
    Maryland
    If you're bisexual, it doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine wanting to have sex with most everyone you meet? :D

22. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Considering the number of obese Americans, I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if everyone else is bisexual.

24. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005