Sheryl Swoopes says she's a lesbian, says some interesting things

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 26, 2005.

1. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cut the hair a little shorter and you couldn't get any more Butch.

2. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Interesting to see how this impacts the WNBA. I've always thought that the WNBA had a good marketing niche in that it could be about family values (bring your daughters out to the game), while having the unspoken acknowledgment that some of the families had two mommies. [Buster]That's a lot of mommies![/Buster]

My opinion (like Gringo's -- based on nothing) is that discussing this in public could hurt the WNBA's long-term viability.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Sara Whalen is HOT!!! I'd like to see her LUG'in at UConn.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by "tossed under a bus" you mean slammed, I doubt it.

But if she had a more conventional personal story, I have no doubt the various groups would be trying to attach themselves to her. Now, I dunno. She might be ignored by them, and if that's what you meant, you may be right.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Disagree. I mean, if that were true, I'd want to watch a bunch of you guys making out. And the mere thought of that makes me want to hurl. Ergo, it is false.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    She's about the third or fourth actually. She's just the most prominant.

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she gets slammed. Just because.

Ultimately, does it matter?

Some gay activists want it to be nature, some nurture. If nature, then maybe you argue being gay is like being black, white or whatever, you are born that way. But do they really want that?

The issue though is this. Suppose they find a "gay gene." "Genetic counseling" these days is common for pregnent women (my wife and I went to the counseling, but refused the amnio). Personally, I think it a scam and full of ethical dilemas (we decided, no abortion, even if the baby turned out to have problems). But what if genetic counseling could determine if the child would be more likely to be gay.

Personally, if I had to answer, I think it a little of both. There are branches of my family were there seem to be more gay people than statistically expected. Yet my lesbian cousin's sister was absolutely boy crazy.

But again, in the end, who cares? So long as they are not doing the nasty in front of me, I really do not care.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NY Liberty have two known lesbians?

Rick Reilly is on Dan Patrick now on ESPN Radio and he threw out the figure that 1/4 - 1/3 of the league is lesbian.

Like I was telling a friend earlier....women's sports is "quietly known" that a number of their fans and athletes are gay.

9. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    The question I'm posing is whether it is better marketing for the leagues to be Quietly Known vs. Loud and Proud?

It's an interesting dilemma since marketing is supposed to be all about sales, not morality.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    "I'll have two lesbians."

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real question is, does this make it easier for Landon to come out?

12. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Who was that gay dude in the NFL on 60 minutes a few years back?

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I think it's a bit of both, but leaning towards a conservative side to it all. I just don't think giants like Coke or Proctor & Gamble will welcome with open arms an advertising campaign that features a butch looking WNBA'er pimping their products.

I think it would be smart for companies to use known lesbians, but not for them to be so "in-your-face" about it. Look at Subaru...they used Martina as part of their marketing campaign a number of years ago and I don't recall any big backlash from the general public. Abby Wambach is somewhat known to a number of women's soccer fans as being a lesbian (although she hasn't come out and publicly acknowledged it yet) and she is featured in Nike ads.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Joe Montana.

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Wasn't it some role player/off the bench lineman that played in Green Bay and Minnesota? That definately made big news, but after a while it was forgotten about. In part due to the fact that he really was a no-name player and probably mostly due to macho sports like the NFL is just not the place to discuss this type of subject.

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Jeff Garthia???

I don't think this will make any difference for WNBA marketing. It's not like anyone except radical lesbians goes anyway. I'm not neccesarily sure I want to see a lot of the, uh, "females" in that league getting it on anyway.

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    True. This girl gets an exception in my book however...

[​IMG]

18. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    The WNBA sucks

19. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Becky Hammon is just oozing with marketing potential.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Apparently a lot of them actually don't.

21. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Who really cares except those who intend to profit from her self-outing.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    She definitely has "Mitts" appeal.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah there's BIG money there.

24. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I assume you know that's a gross over generalization.

I think the WNBA actively markets its product to young girls and families. And young girls and families make up a pretty decent share of the audience at a WNBA game. I think it is Quietly Known that a significant portion of the audience is also lesbians. I don't think it's the majority and it's not the marketing aim of the WNBA.

I would think that perception of the league as a lesbian league could have an impact on the families/young girls market segment and ultimately therefore the viability of the league. Sheryl Swoopes has such a high profile for the league that she may have changed the perception of the league in .. uh. .. one fell swoope. . .I guess we'll see.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If was female, I would definitely be a lesbian.