Sheffield Wednesday 2013-14

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by pookspur, Jun 27, 2013.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    alright. may as well get this up and running, eh? as of now, to the best of my (limited) knowledge, it's:

GK: kirkland, jameson, dawson

DEF: gardner, llera, taylor, r johnson, buxton, lee, mattock,

MID: lines, prutton, palmer, mccabe, semedo, mayor, antonio, maghoma

FOR: maguire, madine

jermaine johnson and giles coke have been offered contracts and are expected to sign, whereas prutton and llera just recently have. o'grady's barnsley move has been finalised, and i don't know whether the club is pursuing lita or not (wages too high?), but obviously at least one more forward should come in, yes?

rumors of sean st ledger coming in from leicester city were moving about for awhile, but i don't know if there was anything in them. that would - since llera's just re-signed - make four centerhalfs, with reda available as well ... so with buxton re-upping a couple weeks back, would that be the defense sorted, then?

former spurs academy winger jacques maghoma has been signed on a free from burton albion, where he's apparently been one of their - and league 2's - better players. if JJ re-signs, with antonio, et.al., there'll be plenty of width, but does that collection of central mids fit the bill? i didn't see them enough last year to say; but i'm a bit skeptical.

so ... st ledger or another centerhalf in ... at least one more striker and maybe another central mid? and bywater's off, so a backup keeper, maybe? not bad, but it really doesn't look like a strong championship top 6 contender to me without some more strength in attack.

i'm just winging it here, and going off what i've read on a couple of SWFC message boards. anyone know any better?

up the owls and all that. august will be here before you know it.

IvanIV repped this.
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ooh, forgot to mention that, in addition to the st ledger rumors, there's also word that dave jones is pursuing bolton's former blade academy striker kevin davies. for my money, if wednesday want a target forward pushing 40, they should try to make stevie aaard's move permenant, but there may be some bias in there. he certainly seemed to do well by most accounts during his loan, but hey ho. i've not heard a word about him since season's end, so i'm guessing that's a non-starter.

edit: apparently davies is out of contract, so he isn't "bolton's" ... which could also be (among other things) why he's a more attractive target than aaard.

3. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... sign IvanIV ...? no? have i pushed that far past 40?

4. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for getting her started pook. imma post pics of our kit as soon as i seen 'em...

5. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

new MASSIVE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY FC away kit..

it keeps growing on me. puma sucks though. i don't like that bit of a yellow streak across the front... at least it isn't running down our back!

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Sheffield Wednesday get a sub-forum in the Championship Clubs forum?

IvanIV repped this.
  7. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are we not in the right spot...?

8. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oops.. i see whatyou mean now.

HEAR, HEAR!

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    there should be one, of course; but in the end it doesn't really matter. there's only a half-dozen (at the very most) or so of us who'll post here, and one thread will suffice for the entire season.

you have ties to wednesday, balance?

IvanIV repped this.
  10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No real ties. Back years ago when I was researching clubs in England learning about the game Wednesday popped up on my radar as more unique than most in its history, and particularly in name. Can't help but want to keep a handle on it, so I watch out of the corner of my eye how they are doing.

The main value for a forum as compared to only a thread is in the current BS system it is easy to watch a forum but less clear how one specifies a thread to watch. All I need to do then is check my Watched Forums list to see if there is any activity for the things I track on BS.

I do understand that the traffic may be quite low for Wednesday and forums are really for clubs likely to generate multiple threads.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    just click on 'my' at the top of the page and it'll bring up all the newly posted-on threads to which you've subscribed. and since you've already posted on this one, and there's not likely to be another, that's job done.

12. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can "watch thread" ... ;)

13. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we beat rangers 1 nil!

14. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SQUAD NUMBERS:

1 Chris Kirkland

2 Lewis Buxton

3 Reda Johnson

4 Anthony Gardner

6 Jose Semedo

7 Michail Antonio

9 Gary Madine

10 Jacques Maghoma

11 Jermaine Johnson

12 David Prutton

13 Adam Davies

14 Giles Coke

15 Martin Taylor

16 Rhys McCabe

17 Jeremy Helan

18 Chris Maguire

19 Joe Mattock

20 Kieran Lee

21 Paul Corry

22 Liam Palmer

23 Danny Mayor

30 Arron Jameson

32 Miguel Llera

15. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE ARE beIN LIVE TODAY! Their English speaking channel!

UTO!

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    really nice to be able to see it yesterday. lots of good stuff to take from that performance, despite getting nothing from the game. nuhiu took his goal well and looked a threat. the new centerhalf (i'm blanking on his name at the moment) paired well with the always cool gardner. maghoma looked sharp, and it doesn't appear that he'll be in over his head at the championship level in the slightest. Antonio - finishing aside - picked up where he left off, and will cause problems for a lot of defenses this year. and of course Kirkland was nothing short of brilliant.

to say QPR is stacked for this level is a huge understatement, and while i'll agree they were probably worth the three points, it could quite easily have turned out otherwise. missed a sitter ... hit the post ... two dodgy penalty no-calls ... the division favorites will know that they've dodged a bullet at home. it's never fun to lose, but I really enjoyed this one; and I think it bodes well for Wednesday's '13-'14 season.

IvanIV repped this.
  19. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    new home.

hopefully this is he last puma kit.

20. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shit. lost 2-1 again...

21. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not the best start to the season, admittedly. I hate going out of cups in the first round, but c'est la vie. It's the league that matters. No midweek games this week, but we're away at Leeds on Saturday. Hopefully we can kickstart the season with a win, and hope our goalie doens't get cold-cocked by a dirty Leeds fan this time!

IvanIV repped this.
  22. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    drew with scummy l**ds 1-1. i'll take a point.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    was monitoring the millwall game online, but had to run at 85'. somehow I knew that by the time I got where I was going, they'd've equalized. very frustrating.

IvanIV repped this.
  24. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 IvanIV, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    yeh. my buddy Jaffa called it on Zayatte and steven and crew took it personally. don't know if you've noticed but i am not posting there much at the moment. not a big fan of bw right now either.

we drew 2-2.

zayatte gifted them an own goal very early and then reda evened it up. helan put us on top. refs put them level with a bad call.

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, I saw that you'd de-registered. did someone PM you something nasty, or anything? I didn't think what was posted would be terribly upsetting. still, things seem to be a bit different over there these days ... it's really slowing down. hopefully, it'll pick back up again.

personally, I think that if one steps away from there, he should do so with a bit more dramatic flair ... a proper diva-esque flounce. :cool::D but to each his own.

anyway, i'm struggling to figure out whether dave jones's squad is good enough. the only game I've seen was QPR, and from that performance, I felt this was a top-half team. now - after all i'm reading - i'm not so sure.

IvanIV repped this.