SheBelieves 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I believe we have some potential forwards. Just really need to see them play in those positions so we have a very good idea who are replacing the older generation. Right now we have the younger Lynn Williams and Sophie Smith. For those that have been popping up in the news, Trinity Rodman's name pops up. I remember seeing her performance at U-20. Same for Ashley Sanchez, but I think some posters here says she's not physically strong.

West Ender repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Trinity Rodman comes to mind.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://www.southlakestyle.com/drag...ssimo-carroll-dragon-class-of-2020-is-all-in/

When Alexis Missimo (#11 top row) sets her mind to something, she goes after it with heart and hustle. There is no middle ground for this world-class athlete. What’s on her mind now? One day earning a spot on the United States Women’s National Team.

This fierce footballer is already well on her way. Before Alexis even started eighth grade, she had accepted a full scholarship to play soccer for the University of Texas at Austin. Now this 17-year-old Southlake Carroll student athlete is currently ranked as the No. 1 U17 player in the nation by TopDrawer Soccer — and she’s getting stronger, faster and smarter every time she steps onto the pitch.

Last fall, Alexis was invited to train with the Manchester City Women’s Football Club (MC-WFC) in England. MCW-FC’s roster includes some of the world’s most elite soccer players, including nine women who played for England’s Women’s World Cup team that lost to the United States last summer.

While Alexis has already accrued countless impressive accolades, including being named the U.S. Girls Development Academy 2019 Player of the Year and earning recognition as the nation’s leading scorer with 62 goals and 49 assists in only 31 games, she doesn’t brag about it. Her humility is one of her best qualities, according to her dad.

NCChiFan and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Heath and Press will be around to help guide the team besides the experienced midfielders.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    A few years ago, there were some articles about a minor who had signed with either the Thorns or that Reign, anyone know what happened to that girl?

6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Oh her, shes training with the Portland Thorns senior team. She's not in the Portland Thorns Academy anymore. Guess shes already too good for the U-19s.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olivia Moultrie is 15, so is too young to sign in NWSL or to go overseas. She is connected to the Thorns, but isn't under contract.

jnielsen, West Ender and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Which I think is unfair. You got a 16 year old girl playing with the senior team of Liverpool.

NWSL needs to change the rules.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/wo...ay became the,win over Coventry United Ladies.

Lucy Parry today became the youngest ever player in Liverpool FC Women history.

The defender came on as a substitute after half an hour of the Reds’ FA Women’s Championship win over Coventry United Ladies.

At just 16 years and 150 days, Parry broke the age record set by Maz Pacheco, who was 16 years and 212 days when she made her debut.

Parry replaced Becky Jane in a planned change with the right-back herself making her first appearance of the season on her comeback from injury.

The new record-breaker is an Academy graduate as a member of the Regional Talent Club.

9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Also one more thing that came to my mind. Will Olivia Moultrie still be called up to the National Team in U-17s and U-20s in the future? Even though shes not actually having any game time? This could be a problem if shes not being scouted while playing. Wasting 3 years just training but not playing. Probably a good idea just put her back into U-19 roster and just let her play for 3 years.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

jnielsen and West Ender repped this.
  11. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I was recently watching some highlights of her when she broke in at 17. I forgot how good she was for a player of that age. She was a very promising and fairly technical player. Not sure if it was injuries or confidence but she definitely seems to have lost some of that flair. She has 18g and 17a in 63 caps so it's not like she was unproductive when she played. Maybe she gets another shot and can find that early form again and impress.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Pretty much injuries and affecting her chance to stay on the roster.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...in-2021-with-uswnt-and-with-chicago-red-stars

But with her successes have come setbacks. Her nose-for-the-goal style of play led to a string of unfortunate injuries, long recovery periods, and perhaps, the falling behind in fitness and performance. To that end, stiff competition from within the rising rank and file has also confronted her.

jnielsen and dams repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    She’s 22 so she’s had a chance to come back. Look at Kristin Mewis who’s hasn’t played for the NT since what like 2014?

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    At 17 she was smaller and faster. Now she's stronger, but her initial success was largely on speed and agility. Lots of folks need a year or two to sort out how to use their adult body. Give her time.

Honestly, this whole fan base seems to me to want results instantly-- even though they're getting them constantly-- and to get bored with players long before they are through.

We've had pretty consistently the best team in the world to root for for 30 years now; we should try to appreciate them, not be sort of wishing that they retire early because we want fresh new faces. Or so it seems to me.

One of the great rules of living-- be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

jnielsen, outside63, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem might be that there's this guy in Dallas, and I won't say who, that appreciates them enough for 187,256 individuals.

taosjohn repped this.
  16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ??I fail to see the problem in that-- other than that these other posers aren't measuring up to his standards...:x3:

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    You're obviously not talking about me. I just said our forward pool is one of the best units in the history of sports.

I'm not trying to run anyone off the team.

All I said was that NWSL is not producing international quality forwards.

18. PortiereNuovo

PortiereNuovo Member

Jun 20, 2019
    If Adu could debut for DC at 14 or 15, I don't see why she couldn't if good enough.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The rules have changed and FIFA has taken steps to limit the age at which a player can become "contracted" to a club. Of course there are special hardship exceptions but I doubt they apply in this case.

In fact, if I remember correctly, a player can be eligible for a full National team but not be eligible for a contract with a club.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Weird, can be allowed to play for the NT but not the club. Mia Hamm played at the age of 15 for senior team.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Again Mia's situation is meaningless for the current situation. The "rules" have drastically changed in the last 33+ years.

FIFA has rules that are designed to "protect" young players. There is even a difference in the age at which a player can commit to a domestic club as opposed to when she/he can go to a club that is not domestic.

Personally I believe that those rules are in place because FIFA enjoys controlling people. But they say it is to "level" the playing field between smaller country's clubs and the biggies particularly in Europe. With the current rules "home" clubs get a shot a promising youngsters before the big boys can simply out bid them. They also say it is for the "protection" of the kids. I think that throughout history humans have done more damage to others by trying to "protect" them from something than would have happened with no protections at all.

I guess we could quit guessing and simply read whatever rules are current at the FIFA web site but for me to do that search I will have to wait until tomorrow because some medicine I take sometimes gives be headaches if I read too much from the screen. It is an evening med that I only take as needed but I needed it this evening and therefore I want to avoid hard reading until tomorrow.

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    in my view, it isn't just "this whole fan base." The U.S. sports world in 2021 is filled with fans in every corner who "want results instantly." Part of this pathology involves sports gambling, but the fans who don't gamble aren't necessarily any more patient. I'm a fan of the New York Liberty of the WNBA. A few years ago, some Liberty fans on a message board were quite troubled because a heralded college player didn't shoot well in her first preseason game as a professional!!!

Wishing that great stars of any sport retire early "because we want fresh new faces" is simply sickening.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Yeah dumb rules. How is it any different than 15 year old kid playing in FA WSL but someone in U.S. can't come over and do the same.

We'll see how it goes in NWSL since they MAY try to change the rules.

Maybe you can darken your screen or go dark mode.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reference on that? FIFA rules prohibit a player from signing overseas before 18 (16 if you are signing moving inside the EU with an EU passport) and limit signings for younger players overseas unless the family moves for "non-football reasons." But I'm not aware of any other rules on player age at signing. MLS has recently signed 14 year old players. USL signed a 14 year old a couple of years ago.

I expect that if Portland feels she's ready to play in the pros, they (or the player) will petition NWSL for a rule change. She's already disqualified from college soccer, so that path is cleared. The biggest issue will be if she has to go through the draft (which I will guess she will). She needs to be ready before anyone makes a push.

25. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Didn’t NCAA allowed in the future that student athletes would be allowed to have sponsorship and being payed while gong to college?