Shawn Parker at Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Elninho, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He was courted by Germany and he wasn't even eligible to play for them and being provisionally cap-tied to the US.

Goose, gander and all that.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  3. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    look at what Lascho wrote. I doubt Parker has a serious chance to establish himself on the striker position, he misses too many chances. He'll probably end up as a winger (good technique, pace) or an attacking midfielder / false nine.

4. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting for Mainz today vs Frankfurt...

6. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets the assist! 1-0 Mainz over Frankfurt.. wow

7. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bizarro world.. what the hell.. he's got a goal! 2-0 Mainz..

This kid is no joke..

8. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. This kid is going to end up being too good and the Germans will call him up. :mad:

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you expect? He was born in Germany. Raised in Germany. Doesn't speak very good English. Has played continuously with the German system. That's how it goes

It's not like Brooks where the US was actually the first to ever call him up.

Mario Balotelli and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, our striker situation isn't to bad though yes he would be a big boost to the team but we aren't dealing with a situation where we have to call Findley again, if he was a defender though it would be disapointing

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  11. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, it's just a bit disappointing knowing that we're almost always on the losing end of prodigious talents like Rossi, Subotic, and likely Parker.

If he's not called up by...say the age of 22, do you think he'd accept a cap tying call up from the US?

12. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes not our talent though, he was born and raised in Germany he Germany's talent and Rossi wasn't ours either

13. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disputing that, and I totally get why he would represent Germany. Just a selfish part of me wants these guys to choose the US. ;)

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US fans shouldn't really feel bad about losing talent they didn't develop. Anything you get that you didn't develop is a gift. The US has been very fortunate in this regard. They will likely get Chandler to go along with Williams, Johnson, Jones, and maybe Brooks.

"Losses" like Parker, Hangeland, Sakai, and possibly Johannsson are not really losses.

If you play a role in the development (Subotic and Rossi), then it's understandable to be slighted.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also just one game. There is a long way to go in this story still.

16. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As talked about earlier in the thread, he has been in contact with USSF supposedly so if he even continues to get substitute appearances at the least, I could see Jurgen trying to integrate him into the NT as soon as possible. He would have to accept but the advantage we have is having a NT that could benefit from him atm as to where Germany will contine to call him for youth sides, most likely..

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just a frustrating post, like bear bait asking to bring me into a trap of off topic posting.

18. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I'm wrong about Rossi, from what I heard he went to Italy early in his life and trained there...but that's for another thread I guess

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he was 12 or 13.

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    He did not move to europe till 15. Rossi was already in high school by the time he moved.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He went to Parma in 2000. He was born in 1987.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    back to Parker...................... He scored the winner and had an assist today in his first start for Mainz in a HUGE 3-1 road victory at Eintracht Frankfort. This was a huge result. Eintracht, while on the slide a bit, have had a tremendous start to the season. They are definitely formidable opponents and a nice surprise this season. What a way to introduce yourself to the starting XI. His confidence must be sky high. Congrats to Shawn. hopefully there is plenty more to come!

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Went to go train on visits is different from then officially being there year round starting at age 15.

24. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi was spending summers and things over there his entire life, all while being raised by Italian parents in the U.S. I don't begrudge him his split allegiances a bit.

Parker has been viewed as a major talent within Germany for a few years now. I don't see him ever giving the U.S. much consideration if he develops to his full potential. If he is only ever a player that doesn't at least get a cap here or there from Germany, than how much of a boost would he be to the U.S. anyway? That said, he projects very well. He's playing his first season in the first team of a Bundesliga team and just turned 19 this summer. Now he's just played a major role in winning a derby match against regional rivals. He'll be fun to follow, but I don't hold many hopes for him playing for the U.S.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on what your definition of major talent is.