Shawn Nicklaw at HB Koge

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by johnh00, Mar 12, 2012.

1. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like another yank at HB Koge? According to this article, Shawn Nicklaw has signed a 2-year contract with them.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the UConn site, it looks like he graduated in 2010. Any idea what he's been doing in the meantime?

4. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another UConn article indicates Nicklaw graduated in 2011so he may have been finishing school and earning his degree. "In other professional news, former UConn star Shawn Nicklaw ('11) has signed a two-year professional contract with Danish club HB Koge. HB Koge competes in the Danish Superliga, the top division in Denmark."

1 person likes this.
  5. Bbechlow

Bbechlow New Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Im glad to see more yanks getting signed to professional clubs in Europe. Upon further research it looks as though this AX Soccer Tours looks to market American players in Europe and help them get signed through their agency. It is about time someone started doing this as it seems like there are very few opportunities for players to get seen by coaches from over seas.

Looks like they have a tryout coming up to look for more players.

http://www.axsoccertours.com/professional-soccer-tryouts-mens.html

I hope to see more and more of the better players coming out of College pursue opportunities in Europe. I hate to see the best players in the draft rot on the bench for 4 years in MLS and lose the best years of their career.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    These "all-star trip" programs are no longer very unusual, but it seems like a big deal for an American player of Nicklaw's age to parlay one of these things into a contract at this level.

There's somewhat more precedent for the tours being successful for top youth players still in their teens, or post-college amateur types unwanted by/uninterested in American divisions seeking a foot in the door.

Koge seems to be something of a yo-yo club, and they're in last place right now. Still, it's a first-division team at a reasonably high level that has yielded MNT callups over the years.

7. Bbechlow

Bbechlow New Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I had never heard of these "all star trips" before, what other companies do them?

Yea seems like a great opportunity for players who were passed up by the MLS draft or were playing in the MLS Reserves, USL, or NASL and are looking to play in Europe.

In any case im glad that it was a success and an american player was able to land a deal with a European club. I think getting American players over to Europe is the best way for US soccer to develop and grow. I hope we start to see more and more players do what Billy Schuler did this year.

8. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    I can confirm the transfer. HB Køge was relegated from the Super League last season, but they are expected to be among the contenders to win the second tier (BetSafe League) and return to the Super League. I imagine that a couple of their games will be televised in the coming season. Also it is likely that scouts from the Super League will be present at most games, as especially Lee Rochester Sørensen at HB Køge is a talent on the radar of most Danish Clubs. So Nicklaw will get some exposure in terms of showing of his ability and possibly reaching a higher level.

HB Køge posted it on their website today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicklaw went 90, Rusin did not play in a 9-0 Cup victory.

11. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing for Wilmingto Hammerheads now apparently.

13. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicklaw is at Thór in Iceland this season.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo repped this.
  16. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0:07-

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored for Guam against Singapore:

[​IMG]

guamfootball
    Shawn Nicklaw scores for #Guam in the 38th min off a pass inside from Shane Malcolm! Guam leads Singapore 1-0 ... #TeamMatao