sexiest female voices

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by afgrijselijkheid, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Has anyone else said Tonya Donnelly? One more for Cracknell, Sandoval, Perrson and Halliday (Can't believe she hasn't been mentioned more). What about Beth ???? of Portishead. Or Beth Orton for that matter?

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

good call

3. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    A quick list of 10, I think most have been mentioned. I couldn't believe I nearly got to page 2 without Hope Sandoval.

Has anyone said Isobel Campbell? As the Gentle Waves she absolutely gives me chills. Can I vote for Sadier and Hansen as a team (Sadier has the sexier voice, but they were amazing together).

No one for janis Joplin? I like feral once in awhile. Nice calls on Donnelly and Sarah Cracknell. I still love Moira Lambert's vocals on Only Love Can Break Your Heart though.

Hope Sandoval
    Isobel Campbell
    Laetitia Sadier
    Nina Persson
    Laetitia Sadier and Mary Hansen
    Janis Joplin
    Margo Timmons
    Neko Case
    Billie Holliday
    Beth Gibbons
    Moira Lambert

cheers,
    hobbes

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Tori Amos and Norah Jones were the first two to come to mind.

5. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Poe or perhap Liz Phair

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been trying to brainstorm this for a couple of days... great thread, and each post seems harder to top from the one before it.

Three names to add here...

Alanis Morrisette (yeah, I know, sounds weird)
    Norah Jones (can't go past her)
    Janis Joplin (I'll pay that, good call, hobbes)

And one fictional character...
    Jessica Rabbit :D:p

More later, as I can think of them...

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pat Benatar - From Heartbreaker to We Belong to Love is a Battefield

8. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Julie Storbeck.

I don't even remember how to spell her name. That might be it. She was my cute, little girlfriend at summer camp in 1983. She used to sing "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics all the time... what a sweet voice. Man, she sounded great. Used to drive me crazy.

2. When I was 9 years old (1979) and living in England, these two blonde girls (a year younger maybe... maybe older) sang the Christmas Carol "Mary's Boy Child" during an assembly at Milton Road School. I can still hear it in my head.

No one said they had to be professional! If ya don't like it... FU! Then I pick Wendy O. Williams of the Plasmatics!!!!! So there!

9. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Jessica Rabbit = Kathleen Turner

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct you are, Aimer.

And my god, they both have voices that make the soul melt like butter. :)

11. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    I can't think of her name and I don't know if anyone said it yet but.... Mazzy Star's lead singer!!!
    and Bic Runga

Hope Sandoval .... I looked it up and see she's been listed!

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I hesistate to say this....Christina Aguilara? IMHO she has an amazing voice.

13. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'll second whoever brought up Tracy Thorn.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    thought of another one... susanna hoffs

BT2001 i love alanis' voice but it doesnt really make me squirm in my pants

i'm really surprised more people hadn't listed fiona apple... i know she's a bit whacko and has that heroin chic look, but that voice of hers is sooooo sexy

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each their own, I guess. :)

Good call on Susanna.

Maybe Christina Aguilera's name hasn't occurred yet perhaps we're all fed up with the whole "teen pop" trend, and maybe some of us remember her all too well from her lip-synching "performance" at MLS Cup '99. In any event, I've never really liked her, or anyone else of that pop-star movement of recent years... this is one of those subjects where my wife would preface everything by saying, "Oh, my god, don't get him started."

Back on the positive track, no one's mentioned Belinda Carlisle, the lead singer of the Go Go's? Excellent voice, fantastic range, and rough and sexy when she had to be with it.

16. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    FYI, Christina is rather sick of the pop stuff herself. She doesn't even really listen to pop music (read that in a UK Glamour article)...she's more a fan of rock...hence the move towards an edgy-er sound on "Stripped"

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly my taste, anyway. I never really cared for anything she's done. And that first experience of seeing her perform (and I still use the word loosely), has me wary of that whole lot.

I know I might be showing my age here, but I prefer my musical heroes to play guitars-- and more importantly, an ability to play their own instruments.

All things considered, I've never seen her do any of that, and same goes for the rest of that lot.

18. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Hehehe...I was there, and all the way from the back you could see she wasn't singing. Was she on tv? Someone was supposed to tape the game for me but got drunk or something and messed it up.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think her "performance" was on TV, yeah. It was promoted heavily enough by MLS, IIRC, so it would have to have been televised.

I was there, too, about halfway up, and it was too obvious to me that she was mailing it in.

20. snowsuit

snowsuit New Member

Oct 1, 2000
    san diego
    i have to back up tracey thorn, but not in the 'sexiest' category. more like 'wish i had her voice' category. marine girls ruled.

21. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Listen to Stripped. that's all I have to say. I was anti-Xtina up until that.

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each their own, Aimer-- but I'll consider doing that. However, like I said, I only listen to artists that play their own instruments.

That's just me, and that's all I have to say. :)

23. isaac101

isaac101 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Bethesda, MD
    My list (most of which are repeated before):

Tanya Donelly
    Poe (who was by far the coolest musician I've met in person)
    Hope Sandoval
    Sade
    Louise Weiner (lead singer of Sleeper)

And of course, my favorite sexiest female voice of all time: Sarah McLachlan.
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned her yet. Maybe she just does it for me.

And for some reason Nelly Furtado too.

My vote for sexiest female voice not many people might have heard of (unless you are into the Austin scene): Juliana Sheffield. She sang backup for David Garza a while ago and had a stint as the lead singer of 8 1/2 Souvenirs.

And this is for Mad_Bishop, who sounds like he digs the female-fronted ska bands as much as I do:
    the lead singer from Metro Stylee (I'm blanking on her name right now), as well as the dual lead singers from The Jinkies.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about her...good call.

And even though her music is junk, I love Kylie Minogue's voice on that "Can't Get You Out of My Head" song.

25. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yes, of course there's Sarah McLachlan. I wouldn't exactly categorize her voice as ultimately sexy but nevertheless her music is excellent stuff. I guess most people just forgot 'bout her being that she has not been under the limelight for such a while.

And I'm possibly one of the few who found Furtado's album - Whoa Nelly! - to be very entertaining......mainstream pop at its liveliest.