Seven questions:

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by jri, Nov 23, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    (1) Why the hell is Danny Szeleta not "in the middle for life" on this U-20 team. Clearly he's a better player there (over Bradley and even Denny) and his full range of skills/instincts are utilized (on the right, the touchline 'guards' him)

(2) Will Sigi be the one to 'crack' Freddy into better movement off the ball (vs. standing/waiting)? How 'bout Sigi offer to sit on Freddy every practice for half hour until Freddy moves.....(hey, a coach has got to use what he's got, and Sigi is 'all that and a bag of chips he ate on the way to the game'

(3) How about converting Will John to defender? I think he could be a stud there...

(4) Ofoi---- (sp?) could be really something, eh? Didn't realize he was so young, but he held up well...really well

(5) What happened to Alvarez (seems like he carrying a spare tire or something the way he runs)

(6) Is Denny better then he showed vs. Mexico? He was workmanlike...but very evenly average in most areas

(7) Zimmerman is an intriguing player. Not any particular great skill moment, but his style. Reminded me of a young Kyle Rote Jr. (doesn't look that skilled, but so low-to-ground strong....I could see him utilizing that to great advantage as time goes on)

2. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I can only comment on Zimmerman, since I've seen him in about 30 or more games. Club/State ODP/RegionIV ODP/ and U-17's now. He's very strong on the ball and a good target player, that can distribute well and score. His dribbling style and moves aren't jaw dropping, but he's effective and deceptively quick at turning and powering around players with his strength and power.

He moves well off the ball and his work rate is top notch. Against mexico, although he didn't score but he in many ways was more effective than the player he replaced up top in the final 25 minutes. He moves and checks back and holds the ball as well as any player I've seen in awhile to dawn any US jersey. He's not flashy, but he's effective....he's done nothing but score since joining the U-17's and he's a threat anytime he get's the ball near the goal. He knows how to finish, but also is very unselfish and can find the open player in front of the goal when he has to.

He will only continue to get better.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Several of the things you said are consistent with what I saw. And I didn't mean to sound negative....he is an interesting player, especially build (and as you mention, comfort holding off guys, back to goal). I could see him developing into something interesting too; he is still young after all. Thanks again for the input.

4. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I didn't take anything you said as negative....the fact you mentioned him told me he caught your eye...not bad for a kid that turned 16 the day before the mexico game :)

5. cumonref

cumonref New Member

Every one is entitled to an opinion but when they become obviously personal against individuals who have helped the U.S. to a great win you have to question why.

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, there is absolutely zero personal attacks in JRI's post. He is expressing his opinion regarding how the players played -- to say Alvarez was slow [looked like he played with a spare tire is just a colorfull way of saying he was out-of-shape {please note that I did not see this match and have no idea if JRI is correct}] and Denny average or OK is not in any sense a personal attack.

If you can't separate criticism of a player's play from a personal attack, perphaps this board is not the best place for you. If you have a personal connection to the team and can't put it aside, just don't read this stuff.

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the reason is because when we choose our arguably 4 best midfielders for the team, Szetela as right mid is the most logical spot. Gaven could play on the right, but Gaven is better centrally as well and is the only true playmaker in the pool (except maybe Memo). So the 1st string for the U20s would have Gaven as the A-mid, Capano as the D-mid, and Alvarez and Szetela as the left and right mids respectively.

Freddy's movement off the ball improved quite a bit during the season for DCU.

Sigi doesn't have the time for such a project. It would have to happen at school or at his first pro club.

Ofori Sarkodie. Yeah he's been with the U17s basically from the start unlike Borja and Zimmerman. Appears to have some versatility.

My guess is match fitness. Kinnear has simply buried him in San Jose, he could do with a move to Chivas. Early in the year when he was playing a bit, he looked very promising for San Jose. Than he stopped playing.

Don't know but we got a somewhat similar evaluation from the TDS guy at the Milk Cup.

A good story too. Had a life/career threatening heart problem and he had surgery that corrected it. We'll wait and see. Could still grow maybe an inch more and that would help him.

8. cumonref

cumonref New Member

How do I have a personal connection? I would suggest that you go back and read exactly what I have written. What I am getting at is this;

What is wrong with supporting these guys after a great couple of wins? It is called being positive.

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Martin, thanks for the support.

I guess the thing I might qualify is that I do realize these are only 16-18 year old kids...so I guess one (me) could be a bit 'kinder'- they certainly could still change, grow, etc. However, many of them are pros or basically live the professional soccer life, so I believe its valid to assess them as such.

They are may or may not read these threads, but regardless I'm sure they've heard much worse about their play from time to time. Don't think I'm pricking any bubbles here. (For my ego) I could really care less if they read these comments, but if they do, and it is some way motivates them to improve their game ('chip on shoulder'), then bully for them!

I do wish them all the best....and yes, there is nothing personal here. Just opinions.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have trouble with the word "IF"?

I only commented on the part where you accuse JRI of making personal attacks. He didn't and I suggested that you are the one, for some reason, taking it personally.

Noone is challenging your right to do so. That doesn't mean that others can't engage in criticism, which is what the board is for even if most of the opinions are between wrong and dead wrong.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would absolutely play Gaven on the right and play Capano and Szetela as dual holding mids. Adu also starting with Alvarez and Memo fighting for the other midfield spot.

13. cumonref

cumonref New Member

Oh really, you asked me to leave the board in your last post?

Anyway, I would like to give credit where it is due, and that is to every member who made the two victories possible, I think that when we have all of the other players available for selection we will have a very, very strong squad of players that could do well in the qualifiers and hopefully in the finals.

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

That makes a lot of sense to me too (I like Gaven on the right better too). I do think there is a role for Denny, and maybe it is competing against Alvarez/Memo for that last spot (which he could win). Also, I'd have Denny (keep) pushing Capano in the middle..

15. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    (1) Why the hell is Danny Szeleta not "in the middle for life" on this U-20 team.

More likely than not, Danny is playing wide right this game not because there are better players than him in the middle, but because once again a US youth team doesn't have good wide right sided-players.

(2) Will Sigi be the one to 'crack' Freddy into better movement off the ball (vs. standing/waiting)?

No. This isn't Bradenton. Sigi doesn't get a lot of time with these kids. When players get to camp, they'll be focused on learning Sigi's system, not breaking bad habits. It is up to Piotr to train the bad habits out of Freddy.

(3) How about converting Will John to defender? I think he could be a stud there...

Maybe down the road it'll happen, but again, Sigi doesn't get the time. Really doubtful this happens at the U20 level.

(4) Ofoi---- (sp?) could be really something, eh?

Never seen him play. What specific characteristics about him make him an interesting long-term prospect? Your question reads more like a statement.

(5) What happened to Alvarez

Simply put, he doesn't put in the work.

(6) Is Denny better then he showed vs. Mexico?

It doesn't surprise me when a young central midfielder struggles for one game when he's new to the team. I'd be more concerned if he struggles over a long period of time. I'd caution you not to be too critical of Denny based on one game. Give it time.

(7) Zimmerman is an intriguing player.

Again, not much of a question. For a forward, the most important skill is putting the ball in the net. We lose sight of that way too often on these boards. Zimmerman has that skill nailed.

16. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying this for a while now, Danny at DM (for his ability to read/disrupt and tackle then attack), Capano at AM (for his good passing ability and ball skills) with Gaven out right (with a good overlapping RD behind him). I think Adu should stay at LM too with strong defensive support behind him. He is much better running at goal and creating. Alvarez and Memo can come off the bench if it were up to me. I have seen nothing from Memo (I missed the Mex game) and only a little more from Alvarez.

17. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I agree basically agree except tailor the positioning to the available players. If Adu is needed up top alvarez or memo could replace him in this. Also Capano and Szetela in this formation lets them interchange.

Adu --------------------- Gaven
    ------- Capano Szetela

18. sweeper5

sweeper5 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Like Voros said, Gaven belongs in the middle as the central attacking playmaker. Currently he is the only player that has earned a regular starting position in professional soccer (with 7 goals and 7 assists with the Metrostars) and also was selected to the MLS All-Star Team and Best 11. Why would you put a player of that ability on the right flank?

Why not put Capano, Szetela, and Gaven all in the middle in a 3-5-2 with two D-mids and one A-mid. Bottom line is that Sigi will need to find the formation that best suits the players while putting all the best players on the field in the right spots.

19. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Gaven on the right might make a lot of sense but that does not seem to be in Sigi's plans right now, but things can always change.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=127208&itype=113&iCategoryID=0
    ____________?Forward?__________________

_________________Gaven_________________

Adu_______________________________Alvarez

_________Capano______Szetela__________

or:
    ____________Adu________________________

_________________Gaven_________________

Alvarez___________________________Szetela

_________Capano______Denny_____________

20. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since you still seem to be having problems with it. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=if

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Capano, IIRC, is a natural lefty making him not well suited to playing on the right wing (also Szetela's faster which would likely make him more effective out there). I don't think the question is who is the better d-mid, it's what formation puts our 4 best midfielders out there that best fits their skills and abilities. Szetela showed fairly well as a right-mid late in the year for the Crew.

I really, really, really want Gaven in the center of the action. When healthy and in form, we don't have anybody who can create half as well as he can. While he finished MLS a little slow (and we found out later he was carrying an injury), when at his best this year, he was not only one of the best young players in MLS, he was one of the best players, period. That's unthinkable for a 17 year old. Sigi saw him at his best up close and personal too (Gaven scored that work of art goal against Sigi's Galaxy). Also, on top of that, Gaven seemed to simply play better in the center for the Metrostars, but personnel limited how often Bradley could do set it up that way. He sees the field so well that he can be extra dangerous in the center, able to distribute in all directions.

At this point he seems to me to be clearly our best player unless Spector somehow winds up on the team (or as an uber-longshot, Giuseppe Rossi). Freddy could become that guy by the time the finals come around though.

22. cumonref

cumonref New Member

23. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to think that Capano (despite the fact that he didn't start ahead of Williams in CHicago) is at least equal to Gaven in controlling the ball and seeing the seams to pass and create scoring opportunities. With Gaven on the right, the idea is to have a very offensive RB to overlap and play more on the wing, Gaven can pinch in as opportunities present themselves and either Capano or Sztela can push forward to create out of the midfield.

I have been disappointed that Capano hasn't gotten more time in Chicago because I think he has the talent to play regularly in MLS and only lacks the opportunities to show his abilities and develop as rapidly as some of his peers. To his credit, he has remained patient and could get his chance now that Williams has moved on. Perhaps some Chicago fans that have seen him more often can give there opinion on Capano and why he hasn't gotten more time.

24. cumonref

cumonref New Member

I have been disappointed that Capano hasn't gotten more time in Chicago because I think he has the talent to play regularly in MLS and only lacks the opportunities to show his abilities and develop as rapidly as some of his peers. To his credit, he has remained patient and could get his chance now that Williams has moved on. Perhaps some Chicago fans that have seen him more often can give there opinion on Capano and why he hasn't gotten more time.[/QUOTE]

I have also been impressed the few times that I have seen Capano play, he could develop into a great player.
    I think that Gaven could go all the way to the top, his progress has been nothing short of amazing.
    It will be interesting to see what Sigi puts together in January for the qualifiers, he has a lot of talent to choose from that's for sure.
    I think the hardest to call is the backline as the youngsters seem to have handled it so well.

25. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I was assuming 4 in the midfield...if we go to 5, yes..then a lot of things are possible. I'm telling you though...you want/need Szetela in the middle regardless of formation...

I agree too that Freddy has the same size problem at U-20 as with MLS...so he has to be put on the flank....one way or the other. Freddy doesn't help himself by staying too stationery as well, so playing up front in classic back-to-goal striker fashion is not a good idea (he needs to be facing goal, and with defender isolated on flank to create his best chaos)..