Seriously, why not Beckham now?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by dawgpound2, Nov 30, 2004.

1. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay. The rumors are flying that Beckham could go to Arsenal for Ljundberg and $18 million.

Now, if you know me, you know I've been very conservative in thought when it comes to MLS splashing cash. BUT, maybe now is the time to really make a push for Beckham? Please reread that paragraph before continuing.

Let's say MLS offers up $35-40 million (and let's say that's enough to get him, may not be?), and gets Beckham. Would MLS not be able to get that money back and more through the deal?

At some point, the league must step up and take a major chance. Beckham MIGHT be the ONE player in the world MLS could profit mightily from.

Now, for argument, I'll hear:
    "Yeah, but I'd rather see them take that money and help build a stadium". Yeah, thayt's great IF you can get local govts. to play ball. I do not for a minute believe lack of money is an issue at all in any MLS team not having their own stadium yet.
    "That much money pays for MLS salaries for almost two years". Yep, true, but that kinbd of money could lead to far greater profits.
    "I hate Beckham". Fair enough, but I feel he is that one player for the U.S.' average sports fan to look to.

Is 35-40 enough to get him? Would MLS really be able to recoup that? The questions are far more numerous than this, but I think the discussion is viable.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NASL went bankrupt because of thinking along these lines.

3. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

And believe me, I have that nightmare a lot. That's why I have been so critical of this kind of thought in the past. But when is the time ever gonna be right? And does Beckham at this age change the thinking at all for you?

4. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? I think dawgpound2 may have a point. After all, it made SportsCenter last night, for cryin out loud. Lots of people complain that the media here don't care about soccer, but there it was, Beckham might get traded and it makes some noise here.

Remember that Americans always want to come out and see the best, and in the minds of many Americans, this guy represents the best (whether he is or not). This, if pulled off, could really change things.

And for the argument that the NASL went bankrupt because of this, he's not saying to go out get as many as possible. For this to happen, he would have to be the ONLY one to come over, and have most of his salary paid by endorsements, instead of the league.

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want the MLS to fold. If ADIDAS will pay the transfer Fee and 99.999899% of his Salary, then fine. Stick him on the Galaxy or Metrostars and get it overwith. It'll be great publicity. Beckham at soon to be 29, wouldn't be too bad. However, I'd wonder how it'd affect his play for England.

I think he'd learn a thing or two from Frankie Hejduk...(how to do a God-awful stepover)

6. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    I'd be afraid that if MLS signed Beckham the American public would immediately reject Beckham as soon as they heard him speak in the opening press conference. Bang. All credibility gone. Just by talking. It would set soccer back 20 years.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    too risky.

8. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Did that guy actually say $35 or $40 million? Since MLS probably pays about $20 million a year now in salaries, that would triple the cost. So at current ticket prices, the league would have to double or triple the attendance to make it work. Suddenly the HDC would be too small of a venue. Dumb, dumb idea.

However, I can tell you the only way that Beckham could possibly show up in MLS. If a large organization Like Pepsi or Coke was willing to foot the bill, using him for commercials and other publicity, then it might work for the league. Remember, when Pele was in the NASL he was also paid by Pepsi as their international spokesman. But Pele was clearly recognized as the greatest player so his generation. Beckham is is thought of as a philandering head case who is more hairstyle than actual on-the-pitch performance. I read somewhere that most people in the US thought he was gay. OK, this idea wouldn't work either. Sorry I brought it up. Carry on.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were someone not looking to make a splash outside of soccer, I might be convinced that it could possibly be worth it. But Beckham would do it to advance other interests and make his play on the field secondary. I want them to splash cash on someone who has an interest in rasing the level of play, not promoting his wife's record or something like that.

Beckham would be Mattheus times 100.

10. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    1. Beckham is from London, he would be in his home town with Arsenal.

2. He is still at the top of his game (debatable). Why would he want to play at the level of the 1st Division (or Coca Cola leage or whatever it is now called)

3. $$$$$$$$$

4. NASL, do we now have to get a big name for each team?

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No kidding. How quickly people forget.

12. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I think there will come a day when this argument makes sense. At some point, MLS will have to start competing for big names.

That day may not be today. The burn from Mattheus and Hernandez has still not completely healed.

But it may be soon.

13. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Monster, on this I respectfully disagree.

Beckham still has some England play left in him. He would want to stay at the top of his game. Would he be pulled at by outside interests? Yes, likely. It would be one of the biggest reasons for him to come, no doubt. But, I don't think any of that would decrease Beckham's $$$ value to MLS. I really don't.

14. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Not looking for MLS to sign 12 "Beckham's", just the one. At some point, MLS does have to make a play like this. Why not, in this case only, now?

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As my sainted mother used to say "Easy does it goes far in the day". I'm all for anything that will grow MLS and fill seats but right now MLS is making slow steady progress and taking that kind of risk would be like betting the farm on one roll of the dice. MLS may be progressing slower than most of us would like but it is making progress and is showing signs that its future is secur. There is no need to take this kind of gamble.

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

because it's a lose, lose situation

momentary gain... but you lose it right away

he starts not caring, fans want more of the same quality, fans are no longer willing to see him

it just wouldn't work

there are no get rich quick schemes... you have to do it right... not nasl it

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under the right circumsatnces it would be a brilliant move for both MLS and Adidas. MLS does not have the clout or the funds to pay Backham or pull off the transfer fee. However given Becks major celeberty appeal here in the States even amung no soccer fans his value would be far reaching. If Adidas with a stake in the sucsess of MLS now would be willing to foot the bill for Daivd, there would be little finacial risk to MLS unlike the NASL days. Of course this would require Adu like rule bending.

Thing is I don't think Becks is ready to play here yet, he still has lofty ambitions for England and playing here would likely hurt that, also it seems quite obvious that his family is determined to live in London.

18. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I thought I answered that.

The flame-outs of Mattheus and Hernandez are evidence that there is a tremendous downside to paying big money for one (or two) big names, if those big names do not produce.

Soccer is a very hard sport for one person to stand out and I'm nearly positive Beckham being here would be described as a bust after his first tour of stadiums.

MLS is doing well these days, but has had some spectacular busts in the past. Now is not the time for them to go all in with just the hopes of getting a straight flush draw.

19. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF MLS was going to pull something like this - Beckham is the only player who could grab and hold the attention of the American public.

And now is not the worst time in MLS history for this to pop up. It might be the best timing yet.

It would be risky - but if Anschutz told his man Lieweke to sign him and put him on the Galaxy - I would be all for it. If MLS announced they were going to spend $40 million in a marketing blitz - woudl you be FOR it or AGAINST it? This way they spend $40 million and the blitz just happens. Plus they get an immensely talented player to actually play on the field.

I think the Lothar anaogy is stretched. One, Beckham has previously stated his desire toplay in America and help soccer grow. Mattheus said the same thing - but only after he signed with the Metros. He was just jawing. Beckahm said this over a year ago.

Two - Lothar was 38. Beckham is not even 30. He has at least one more World Cup in him. Sven won't be too happy about it - but who cares?

Anyone who disses Beckham as a player is hung up on his pop personality. As a player - he is exceedingly skillful and is a Top 10 player in the world on any sane persons list.

Short Answer: If I had $ 3 billion, I would do it. Or try to. Just not sure if Becks is ready to step down and play in the USA now.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One player isn't ever going to make or break the league. Spending the amount of money it would take to get Becks over here can be spent in many more effective ways.

If MLS wants to start spending that kind of money on player transfers, they are far better off competing for the U-17, U-20 Brazilian and Argentinian players. Spend $5 or $10m on 3 or 4 Saviola's or Kaka's, and you are in line to get a payoff when they move on to the big clubs in Europe. Plus the overall level of skill in the league is increased, there for increasing the entertainment value. You also bring in the SAsnobs who would love the see the next generation of stars develop in the US.

The only justification for MLS to pay $1m+ transfer fees, is if it is a sure thing the player is going to be coveted by Euro clubs.

21. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

You don't think an EPL team would be after Beckham in say two years?

22. Furious George

Furious George New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    to the right
    If it was my money I wouldn't do it. If it were somone else's money I would say, "why not?" Since its a combination of both I would say it would depend on what it would take to bring him here.

If it were my flag I would say please don't hang it upside down, the country isn't in dire need of anything (even if our President isn't in the FIFA top ten world leader's ranking). If it were someone else's flag I would say, "why not?" Since its a combination of both I would say, "You're just trying to piss people off. The smart ones will not give you the attention you are looking for. The dumb ones will respond to it in a soccer forum about David Beckham."

And since I just responded to it...

:)

23. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be for it if we waited until his contract was up and got him on a free. Then, get a company here to pay most of his salary.

Ain't no way we should pay $30 mil to get him. He isn't Freddy, after all.

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One that would be willing to pay the $35m price tag you are quoting?

What would be the point in spending the money to bring him over for 2 years?

25. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue any return on the investment would be limited.

The only EPL clubs which would consider spending serious money on a player are Man U and Chelsea. Well we know he isn't going to ManU and I doubt he'd see much of the field for Chelsea, especially at 30+ years of age, considering their current lineup.