September edition - the Ursuline 100

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GersMan, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: September edition - the Ursuline 100

Your love affair with Donovan has blinded you. He may be the leader in games and minutes played, but he is not the leading goal scorer.

Here are the U.S. leading goal scorers since his debut for the U.S. in 10/2000...

Mathis 9 goals, 16 starts - 6 sub appearances.
    McBride 7 goals, 19 starts - 1 sub appearance.
    Donovan 7 goals, 23 starts - 5 sub appearances.

Mathis has also set up more goals than Donovan in that time frame as well: 6 assists to 4. McBride has 3 assists.

Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, and Claudio Reyna are the best U.S. players - not Donovan. Donovan is in Mathis' class, as is McBride, O'Brien, Stewart, and Pope.

This is the beauty of the U.S. team, there are nine players that are definitely international caliber. Some others may be in that group (Beasley), but the U.S. still needs another nine before we can seriously think about winning a World Cup.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Regarding the Corrales debate, I think it should be pointed out that Ramiro does have 3 caps with the senior team, earned under Steve Sampson in 1996 and 97 between the first 2 MLS seasons. Corrales came off the bench in a loss @ Peru and a loss @ China then went 90 minutes - at left back - in a 1-1 tie @ China.

Can he play left back at the next level? Probably but I doubt he'll ever be the top player there on the depth chart. But, he's only 25 and he shouldn't be written off, especially since he's starting regularly for the league's top team.

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch, now that you mentioned it, I remember that game. I felt sorry for him because I wanted him to succeed, but he was bad, really bad...

This brings up a good point. Jason takes a lot of shots, but very few go in. Normally, you don't have that many opportunities at National Level (ask any English fan about Andy Cole). I think that's the reason Jason won't be back on the NATS.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If there's a Quake who will play left back for the Nats his name is Wade Barrett.

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to start putting Convey back as a central mid, and pretty high up on the list. Now that he's playing regularly and creating goals in the middle...

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Kyle Martino may be better at this moment, but the last few games have shown what Convey can do. Martino had a big jump in play by getting into a pro environment, but his level of improvement will be less than Convey's in the future.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Zach Thornton with some recent buffoonery moments should drop some, probably being passed by Brown and Hartman, who are both in form.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    As long as we're talking about keepers, we need to include the name Marcus Hahnemann, who has four shutouts in seven games this season in English Division 1. He should be in the mix.

9. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont we all, & I dont mean in height :)