September 11 - share the stories here...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Sep 11, 2012.

1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    As I'm about to head out the door to referee a match, it just occurred to me that there might be some sort of remembrance ceremony for the victims and hero's of September 11th when I arrive.

I still remember the first middle I did post-9/11. I remember all of it. I'm getting all misty-eyed writing this right now.

State premier league game. As I called for captains, the home coach looked at me and shook his head gently and pointed to the spectator side of the pitch. As I turned around the were about 6 home U15 boys coming on the the pitch with a flag, and brass instruments. No announcement, no nothing, everyone just fell silent. The boys set up in the center circle, and proceeded to play America The Beautiful.

Did I mention I'm now really misty-eyed as I write this.

Sniff.

2. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did a pair of Middle School games on 9/11 this week. Home team was a small public school, but they had a kid stand in the middle of the field with an American Flag; teams lined up on opposite touch lines facing each ther (and the flag, of course). They said the Pledge of Allegiance and played the Whitney Houston rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

J'can repped this.
  3. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    D3 college match on the Saturday following 9/11. My wife made red, white and blue ribbons that the crew wore for our matched that day.
    On Sunday, worked our local(sanctioned) hispanic league. My crew wore the same ribbons and all of the teams showed up wearing black armbands in respect for the US.

J'can repped this.
  4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    The one thing I will always remember was how quiet it was in NYC that day.

5. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually became a US citizen in San Francisco on that morning. It was bizarre. None of the officials showed up and it looked like we would be sent home. Eventually a Justice of the Peace arrived and all 150 of us swore the oath of allegiance, and were ushered out without any pomp or ceremony.

sitruc repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Congratulations!

7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    One of my remembrances is related to soccer. Iwas out on the field a few days after 9/11 and saw an airplane going over after the airlines had been cleared to resume operations.