Sept 2023 South Africa friendlies

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 12, 2023.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? I thought you had "stopped watching or caring?" :rolleyes:

2. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Heath or O'Reilly?

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I do not see any signs that you have the ability to judge such things accurately at all. And any player who can "see they're not NT level anymore" ipso facto will not be; it'll be a self-fulfilling judgement. It is for a coach or manager to decide, not her and certainly not you.

The fact that they don't seem to agree with you can mean one of two things-- either their judgement is flawed or corrupt-- or yours is. I know which I'm betting on.

And it is hysterical that you should cite Lloyd-- who spent the first half of her career criticized here as not good enough for a roster spot, and the second half criticized here as too old for one... Hardly anybody loved her but for about 15 minutes of one game, or so it seemed to me...

4. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I dont. I will leave you to it.

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I would be quite happy with us poaching South Africa's manager.

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    O'Reilly's been retired for a while...

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She retired in 2019, but she came out of retirement last year to play for Shelbourne in Ireland. This year, she played for an amateur team in a low level of USL. Maybe that counts as being retired again, since it's amateur, but I'm not aware that she's said anything about being retired again.

8. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    This is funny. Morgan very nicely assisted the only two open play goals scored vs South Africa, and she's apparently completely useless. If she's padding her stats, what about a young player in Rodman, who wasn't any better at the World Cup? There were plenty of non Morgan minutes; were the US any better, let alone miles better, during those minutes?

CoachP365 and taosjohn repped this.
  9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the US wasn't any better when Morgan came out because Rapinoe came in?!

Honestly...

When Morgan came out after 61' against Vietnam and after 99' against Sweden, Rapinoe replaced her. Morgan played 340 of 390 minutes at the World Cup. 50 of 390 minutes (29 of them against Vietnam) is "plenty of non Morgan minutes"?!

Pfumpf :)

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #85 hotjam2, Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    Morgan got zero goals even though she was the starting #9 in all 4 WC matches. If she could have only gotten just goal in the 3 last matches, it would have propelled the US to the quarterfinals & probable semis. So she definitely flopped in this sense as her role as central striker(which you would think as the easiest chance to score) and yeah, the service was there(16-20 shots taken in all three of the Euro games)
    If anything, she wasn’t ‘The Perfect Fit’ needed for the NT. Other countries try & find ‘the perfect fit’. I mean Japan’s Myiazawa was the WC’s leading goal scorer, despite only one goal to her credit for the set for her club in J league play. Denmark’s Vangsgaard currently looking like arguably the best striker in Europe or at least in the Nations League even though she’s just a sub at PSG with just two goals all last season to her credit.

if your going with NWSL stats; Morgan’s goals scoring is way down(16 last year compared with only 5 this season, which is equal to her teammate, the 18 year old Shaw) though to her credit, got 4 assists—so maybe reinventing herself for SD?. Likewise not much out of Rodman this year(only 4 goals/1 assist to her credit vs 7 goals/4 assists, 2 seasons ago),
    Yet Vlatko turned down NWSL 2nd leading scorer, Hatch/arguably the league’s best winger in Weaver(7 goals, 5 assists) & the striker, Balcar who’s great with header goals & equals in goals at the Reign with Canada’s top striker, Huitema.
    Since you probably a great PSG fan(hmm… wonder why, lol). American born Albert showing phenom promise; more then held her own/able to get passed the physical brutish midfield of the Wolfies in last year’s Champions League action. She only 20, maybe she still a sub, but she’ll probably learn more under the tutelage of the great Jackie G, than in the NWSL(lol).
    and about the same with the little known Gia Corley out of Hoffenheim; as an #10, she’s got solid dribble drive penetration moves, on par with the now ailing Lavelle
    ————————
    With the US already qualified for the Olympics & Euro teams all booked up under the new Nations League format, so should be friendlies galore vs not so primed opposition, now would be an opportune time to find & use new players in upcoming friendlies. This would be the only to judge whether we should stick with the same old, same old or progressively move fwd with promising new ones

kolabear and CoachP365 repped this.
  11. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    >Yet Vlatko turned down NWSL 2nd leading scorer, Hatch/arguably the league’s best winger in Weaver(7 goals, 5 assists)

I haven't seen the Thorns this year, mostly I seem to catch the Spirit/Courage/Red Stars when my schedule overlaps with games on CBS/Pluto. But I'm seeing a lot of people talk up Weaver.

Can you walk me through why Weaver's (or anyone really) NWSL form merits inclusion - because DeMelo was pretty hot in the league entering the WC and it seemed pretty clear she wasn't ready. How does Weaver compare to prime Rapinoe, Press, Heath ?

kolabear repped this.
  12. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I was talking about the South Africa matches, not the World Cup.

kolabear repped this.
  13. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Why are some of you responding to my post with World Cup talk? Posters are literally talking about Morgan being useless in these South Africa matches. How is it accurate that she was useless in these past two matches? She was the only one who could put in a dangerous open play cross. Honestly, apart from Portugal, I think Morgan was better than a lot of people think at the World Cup, but I know that’s a minority opinion. I just want fair distribution of criticism instead of turning Morgan into a scapegoat, but whatever.

Albert’s had good/great moments, but the difference in NCAA and professional European football seems quite big. She’s not made a big impact vs bottom Ligue 1 teams/lower division teams when she’s started, but she does obviously have potential.

What is up with you and the lols? Groenen has just come off an excellent match vs England where she outplayed your favorite lol.

CoachP365 repped this.
  14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Morgan nullified as many goals in the wc by being off as she scored or assisted. Someone needs to explain the rule to her. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick.

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Go review Hatch's goals. Many of them are PKs. She has also played more games than Rodman and Morgan due to them missing games for the World Cup.

Also, PSG's coach just resigned after one game. Maybe Albert is not in as ideal a situation as you imagine. Plus Horan spoke terribly of her time there. Not sure why you take a shot at development in the NWSL when that is exactly where the likes of Mal Pugh and Jaedyn Shaw (a phenom developing before our eyes) have been developed. Oh and Sam Mewis and Lindsey Horan and Julie Ertz.

16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Horan was a while back under a different coach. If you want to be critical of PSG, bring up the Hamraoui-Diallo situation. From what I've read, Gerald Precheur was preparing his son Jocelyn Precheur to succeed him at some point. Probably not after one league match, but according to PSG, the elder Precheur left for personal reasons.

I saw that more as a shot at Groenen; we've had a long standing disagreement there.

17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am not taking a shot at PSG as much as pointing out that it is not all sunshine and roses as Hotjam likes to imply the Euro game is.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it be hard to compare players from today than an decade ago, , since than woso become more professional & diverse

here's highlight of an nice back heel goal by Morgan Weaver

splitting defence with her speed & long stride

Ashley Hatch highlights

don't take no bull

CoachP365 repped this.
  19. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Big fan of the cut in on the left foot and shoot move..thanks for the highlights.

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Forward Ashley Hatch connected on the PK, recording her ninth goal of the regular season, good for second-most in the league this year. It also marked her fifth successful penalty kick of the season.

So she has scored only 4 goals in the run of play despite playing more games than the World Cup players.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes. I believe PK goals should not count for individual goal scoring count.

In fact most of the time I mostly agree with Pelé,.“A penalty is a cowardly way to score.”

22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It took Pugh a number of years to develop. She was pushed to a prominent role with the U.S. WNT /long/ before she she was good enough for such a role---as was quite evident.

RE Albert, she's a talented shooter, but going from college soph/junior to PSG is a serious jump, especially for someone whom I think is best suited for the 10 spot. We'll have to see how she adapts to high-level club soccer. She's in some fast company, literally, at PSG, and is not going to supplant Geyoro anytime soon, but I supposed will get a fair number of minutes against the league's also-rans. PSG was by all accounts a tense mess of a club for a few years but it seems like things have stabilized, finally.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    got to add; Albert’s only 19. Though born & raised in the US, her name could have have some French ancestry?(ala Prince Albert of Monaco), thus could be easily poached by them(if we don’t move fast enough)

Alana Cook got capped by the USWNT even though she was just an sub as well at PSG(so maybe appreciated for the training caliber of that powerhouse club can give)

on other Euro watch; Mia Fishel scores on her debut for Chelsea. Macario was seen in uniform but not rostered for the day’s match