Sept 2023 South Africa friendlies

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 12, 2023.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Ertz is now being substituted out of the game for the final time. She was finally the captain.

Now Horan is the captain....

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Andi Sullivan came in for Ertz

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Williams was in place for a brace. Wow. That was funny. Another corner kick and she was basically just there... Horan flicked the ball into the area and it just comes off of Williams into the goal.

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ertz has been subbed at about the 35th minute of the first half. I have to say she has been active but mostly ineffective but that is expected when a defensive minded player tries to play forward.

Now the USA can play soccer!

If we can just get Morgan off we will be playing 11v11.

I do have to say I am quite disappointed with the USA playing poor soccer. But they are winning anyway/ The announcers are going out of their way to praise South Africa I guess they are trying to make the USA's stumbling around against a weak team look like they are playing well.

A horrible team can make bad soccer look good. At least the USA is finishing, for now.

blissett repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm a little worried about a few things the ref is letting go right now. 3 minutes of stoppage.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Half

USA 3 South Africa 0

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    3-0 at the half of one of the most boring 3-0 matches I have seen lately.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I heard a little something in that Williams response about if it was her role to score, she would score... :coffee:

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    M.A. Vignola in at half

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    She came in for Dunn.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Hatch and Sanchez in for Morgan and Horan

Naeher is now the captain

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Pearl Harbor's main drydock the evening of the debacle of December 7 1941.

Destroyers "Cassin" and "Downes" in front, battleship "Pennsylvania" behind them. They were all sitting on the ground in the drydock when the attack came, and the Japanese bombers tried to hit the drydock gates so that the Pennsylvania might be carried into the destroyers by the inrushing water and crush them. The guy who opened them slowly in order that they might float gently was killed in the process IIRC- and the destroyers were sunk right in the drydock instead.

But note that the tompions-- the stoppers that keep rain and spray out of the gun muzzles-- were never removed. They went down without ever shooting back.

They were, however, repaired before the war ended, and "Pennsylvania" got her revenge at the battle of Surigao Strait, the last big-gun naval battle ever.

zdravstvuyte repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Krueger in for Fox
    Thompson in for Rodman

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The attendance is 22,016

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3 minutes of stoppage

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final

USA 3 South Africa 0

They'll do it again in Chicago on Sunday. There will be quite a few changes for that one.

Thank you, Julie.

NCChiFan, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, probably the most boring 3-0 win I have seen in recent times.

19. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    It just shows the excellence and importance of Alex Morgan. :thumbsup:

Ethan Frank repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    A classy exit for a classy player.

If I'm the next coach-- heaven forfend-- first thing Ima gonna do is move Fox back to the left side. It was so weird watching her make those long diagonal backchecking runs to cover the left when Vignola was caught upfield...(Which is not intended as a criticism of Vignola; for all I know she was doing exactly what she was instructed to do.) But Fox coming all the way across rather than the other backs shifting over seemed pretty crazy.

Sonnett and Horan played great, I thought. And Rodman seems to be gaining on it; in particular her pressing seems much improved. And I thought Sanchez played well. But it really seemed like two teams both awaiting the return of important players...

21. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We need a new coach NOW.. Not a Vlatko assistant either. We look as bad now as we did at the WC and rolling the same weak players out time after time, isnt going to do it. We need to clean house and start again. Ill give a short list of players that should go... immediately. Number one on my list is Morgan. She couldnt score on an open net. Useless. Add to her. Dunn. She's done too. Contributes nothing to the attack. Modern defenders must overlap and contribute. Others aren't necessarily old,,, just not good enough. Ertz is far superior to Sullivan and she's retiring?
    We need to clean house and find new, younger players or get ready to fail again

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huerta is injured and has left camp:

23. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We’ve seen what Morgan does…she takes advantage of weak teams to pad her stats… Kind of like a football team that’s down big and is forced to throw and piles up worthless passing yards. Can we PLEASE play youth up top to see what we have and get them international experience ????? Seriously. What are we doing….

jjmack repped this.
  24. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    We look weak.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia