Seol not doing well at Wolves it seems

Discussion in 'Korea' started by the_13th_redneck, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Re: Hoddle

Generally speaking, they don't. There are doubts in every Wolves fan's mind. Hoddle has a decent track record - got Swindon promoted to the Premier League, did well with Chelsea and Southampton, but we're well aware with his record with Spurs and England. He's got a lot of "baggage" with him (comments about disabled people and karma, the use of a faith healer etc. haven't endeared him to the English media) although Wolves have taken chances on plenty of managers wih baggage with mixed results(Taylor, McGhee and Jones). You certainly aren't the lone voice in the wilderness - you're probably in the majority - but I'll reserve judgement until he's had a chance to show what he can do.

The 6 month contract is just odd - that freaks me out more than anything. Either the board want him or they don't. Can Hoddle really attract players to Wolves if he is only there for a guaranteed 6 months?

Let's see what he does tomorrow.

2. GitongaSimba

GitongaSimba New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I'm now reading reports that Hoddle has been in contact with some "millionaire" friends who are bidding for control of Spurs--if the consortium wins, Hoddle will go back to managing Spurs. This guy is just bad news.

3. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004

That was a story that was published in the Sunday People in the UK. Hoddle has since denied it all. Personally I think the British press are looking for any excuse to attack him or unsettle him - former England managers are easy targets for the press. He hasn't been a viable target for them since he was sacked from the Tottenham job, so now he's back in football, I guess he's fair game. If there was any truth in it then it is probably from before he started at Wolves.

He has also said that the 6 month contract was not his idea.

You might like to know that Seol came on as a late substitute again, for the Watford match last Saturday. I don't think he really had a chance to do much. Hoddle has admitted that he hasn't really had a chance to see what all the Wolves players are capable of yet, so he has probably been relying on Stuart Gray's opinion. An interesting point to add to this is that he still thinks that Paul Ince has a part to play for Wolves this season (Gray had apparently wanted the board to pay up Ince's contract and let him go) - Ince has barely kicked a ball in the last few months (allegedly due to an ingrowing toenail). At least Seol has played in the first team, even if only for a few minutes per game.

4. GitongaSimba

GitongaSimba New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Thanks for the info--I will reserve judgment on Hoddle until he's had a chance to pick his best 11. I'm surprised to read about Hoddle's support for Ince since he and the Guv'nor had some rather public disagreements when Hoddle was England manager. However, Incey does have the goods (still) in my opinion, and a holding/attacking midfielder of his ilk are becoming more and more rare (once hard-man Keane is gone, it may be the end of an era). Seol is lucky to get a second chance at best-11, and I think based on his style of play, he'll have a good shot at finding favor with Hoddle (Seol is fast, strong, good in the air, and strong on the ball).

5. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004

Hoddle & Ince's disagreements are history - the possible problem there is more to do with Ince and Gray. There was apparently a big disagreement between Dave Jones and Joleon Lescott (the best defender at Wolves by miles) which Ince got involved in. Jones freezed Ince out after that (although Lescott returned to the side after just one match out). Gray seems to have carried this on, and of course he is still in a position of some importance as Hoddle's assistant. I think though, that Hoddle sees Ince as the anchor man in a diamond shaped midfield, as we don't really have anyone else who could play this role (unless Keith Andrews manages to improve on recent performances).

I know that Seol is quite well regarded by most of the people on this forum. He hasn't really had much of a chance to show what he can do, especially in a forward role. Kenny Miller has been on the transfer list for some time, and although he has played most of the games this season and is our top scorer, he has fallen out of favour. At the moment his replacement is Dean Sturridge (who I believe nearly went to play in Korea, before a late change of heart), but I think it is a good time for Seol to be challenging for a place up front. Mark Kennedy played on the left as part of a diamond shaped midfield in the last match (instead of left back, where his abilities are wasted), so I think it is more likely that Seol would be used as a striker if used at all in the next few games.

6. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Thanks for the info. It really helps us get more insight into the situation.

COME ON SEOL!!!

7. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Seol started todays match on the bench - Kennedy started on the left and a recalled Kenny Miller started up front with Carl Cort. Wolves should have been in front quite early on, and had plenty of chances to take the lead, but ended up trailing Crewe just before half time. Seol was eventually introduced mid way through the second half, replacing Olofinjana. He had a slow start, and didn't see too much of the ball early on. He had one shot from just outside the penalty area which forced a save from the Crewe goalkeeper, although it didn't really have much power behind it. As the game went on Seol seemed to get better, and made a couple of jinking runs and put in a few decent crosses. With 10 minutes to go, Wolves were playing with 4 strikers (after Leon Clarke was introduced) and were desparately trying to get a goal. Eventually (after 90 minutes I think) Seol put in a good cross which picked out Carl Cort on the edge of the 6 yard box, and Cort made no mistakes and scored with a header. I'm sure he's done himself no harm with his overall perfomance.

8. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
  9. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    The winning assist. That's got to be something.

10. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com...=Cort+earns+Wolves+point&channel=Championship

Ince then fumbled a Seol Ki-hyeon drive from distance before Ashton thumped a shot against the crossbar as Crewe held firm.

But a piece of late magic from Ki-hyeon salvaged a draw for the hosts as he turned in the area and produced a deft cross to the far post for Cort to gratefully head home.

====

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=153622&cc=5901

Hoddle was becoming increasingly animated on the touchline as the groans of the Molineux faithful became more audible in the closing stages, but just as it looked like all was lost, Cort popped up in the last minute to glance in the ubiquitous Ki-Hyeon's cross into the far corner to clinch what was ultimately a deserved point for Hoddle.

-----------------------

I guess those English reporters still don't understand it's last name first in East Asia. Sort of like how reporters in the USA are still call the Chinese basketball guys ""Ming" instead of "Yao".

11. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    okok...good stuff seol...
    does any one where to find highlight clips of this?

12. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Listen to the commentary during the 1966 North Korean WC campaign. Pak Du-ik is constantly called "Ik." When Park Seung-jin scored the equalizer against Chile, the British headlines read, "Jin's Tonic." I may take another 40 years before they get it right :)

By the way, good on Seol.

13. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Yeah finally good news and hopefully we'll hear more of the same.

14. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    I thought this might be of some interest. It is taken from an article in the Express & Star http://www.expressandstar.com/articles/sport/wolves/article_68827.php
    and is a quote from Glenn Hoddle, who is in the process of assessing the players that he has got to work with:

"There's still a few weeks of assessing to do, but there is quality here.

"We have got good people who can use the ball well, for example Seol, who when he came on on Saturday showed he can use the ball and created the equaliser.

"There is a squad here that can be built on, it just needs tweaking.

"It needs a little bit more time working with them on the training ground and getting ideas across how we are going to win games. "

15. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, I've read that article as well; it sounds quite promising for Seol, but I guess he should still work hard and maintain his standard of play.

16. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    He's still got to work his socks off, but this is positive. he's got to build on it.

17. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Ok, just got back from the Wolves v Brighton game. Seol started the match, replacing Cooper. I think he was supposed to be playing on the right of midfield, but he seemed to pop up all over the place. His first half performance was great - probably one of the best two players on the pitch during the first 45 minutes (several decent crosses that the Brighton keeper couldn't deal with, and he was turning the fullback inside out). It's a shame that he didn't keep it up for the whole of the match - his second half performance was rather average (gave the ball away in dangerous areas and his crossing got steadily worse as the game went on). Still, I don't think he did himself any harm - we've certainly had a glimpse of what he can do. The match finished 1:1 after Wolves went behind to a sloppy goal (just like all our games over the last few weeks).

I didn't go to the Cardiff game on Sunday - he came on as a substitute during the second half and I think he did ok - obviously well enough to earn a start today (if anyone on here is interested, Japan's Inamoto also came on as a sub, for Cardiff).

18. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thx, he havent scored yet, and that makes sceptical ..

19. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Looks like Seol will get more starts now...

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...wolves-playing-well--says-boss-name_page.html

Hoddle meanwhile has praised the impact of South Korean Seol, who excelled at the head of his diamond against Brighton on Tuesday.

"Seol has got loads of talent," he said.

"He's a quality player, can play off both feet and caused Brighton all sorts of problems.

"I think at home he'll be a real asset to us."

20. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    YEEES :D Seol finally scored his long awaited goal ..

Wolves-Plymouth 1-1, 75 minutes playes right know, Seol scored in the 24 th minute.

21. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Clips, clips. Let's see 'um. :D

22. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I also want to see clips. A canon shot from 20 metres in the corner :D

23. Korean Tiger

Korean Tiger Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Good start for the year 2005. :)

글렌 호들갑 영감, 좋아하겠네 ㅋ

24. Korean Tiger

Korean Tiger Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Wolves have had five '1-1 draw' matches since Glenn Hoddle took the office. Unfortunately, it seems they have only a slim chance to come back to the Premiership.

25. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thats true, and it doesnt feel so good :/