Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    its a stupid internet word thats been around for several years now. Its a millennial thing

just means saying something (usually in a contrarian manner) to elicit a response

2. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    I would have thought conceding the Indirect FK and taking your chances Defending that would be better.

3. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cambiaso has been great today, so far.

4. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #79 Azzurrifan87, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    I think it depends on the style of goalkeeper. I'd be much more comfortable getting my legs behind that ball and essentially making a strong slide tackle. But I'm confident in my ability to do so.

What's lost on the English commentators is how useless and cowardly the back pass option was to begin with. Udogie or no Udogie, it reeks of the modern acceptance that players can just pass back to the keeper in any situation and consider it a get out of jail free card

5. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chiesa, Cambiaso and Gatti all had a pretty solid game today. Allegri finally figured out what position to play Chiesa in. Napoli on the other hand....

Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  6. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Didn't watch the match but what did stick out at me along with Cambiaso's positioning on the Right yet again (pre-emptive for @azzurri06) was that Chiesa was on the Right side. Becoming more common. Mancio played him on the Right at Euro 2020(21), while at Juve he was strictly Left side. Gives Spalletti an option, I guess.

Advanced stats though, just LOL. Not even 40% Possession. This guy and his 1-0 tactics are so antiquated.

Damn, I have to support Udinese this weekend. Brutal.

azzurri06 repped this.
  7. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Reports say that Lucca will be starting, I may watch it.

8. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Buongiorno Gatti CB partnership, what do others think?

9. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Chiesa was on the left side today, and boy was he dominating (against our RB Di Lorenzo too). He is dangerous on the right side too but prefers the left so he can cut inside and shoot. Mancini played him on the right bc they had another wonderful left winger in Insigne, this time around they dont. Berardi better start on the right wing.

10. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe I'm a curmudgeon, but I'm sick of overzealous pundits rushing to declare that Mazzarri has turned Napoli around. He hasn't, yet, and I don't know what he could possibly do in 2-3 weeks.

Today was just a tough one for Napoli. I don't think they played poorly, but Juve's center backs, especially Danilo, were great today. Osimhen had no room to operate, and only had 1 or 2 instances where he effectively flicked a ball downfield for himself to retrieve. Cambiaso was very physical with Kvara in the middle third of the field (probably deserved one yellow today). Juve did a good job squeezing the life out of Napoli's attack, and then sprung forward with Striker Chiesa.

Good match, though.

11. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Realistically Napoli should have won that match Oshihmen is still trying to find his groove. I should have specified but my critique was towards the Italians on Napoli, Politano almost scored a beauty but besides that it was average performances.

12. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #87 AGomes, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    OK, my bad.

On the Lineup sheet I saw that I was following along showed Chiesa on the Right. It showed like this also against Inter. Unreliable site.

Just saw the hi-lites and he did indeed appear on the Left. What a miss by Kvara though.

Gatti & Buongiorno? Preferably Bastoni on the Left Side of CB, if I have to be honest.

13. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Any half ass winger gives di lo issues.

azzurri06 repped this.
  14. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Giorgio Scalvini

I'm his biggest backer, 2 seasons worth of appearances, some Caps, all this as a teenager for a Defender no less, but it's quite clear he isn't ready for Italy.

Errors on both opponents goals today with Atalanta.

He's been in all of Italy's Under NT's and will likely even be a Captain one day but AT BEST he should be a substitute at the EC. If only to be there with the Setup and gain experience but not in the 11. Bastoni, Buongiorno, Mancini, Gatti should be the 4 CB's ahead of him.

Still 6 Months before the EC but so many players on the NT are not in form.

Zaniolo, also today, on the bench. Rightly so. Aston Villa playing their best without him. Jorginho also on the bench for Arsenal in this one.

calabrese8 repped this.
  15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    that is exactly the attitude teams should be taking with 19 year old prospects. He's going to make mistakes. Rather than banish him to Serie B/C... let him play through and grow. He will be fine.

johnny6, AGomes and lt22677 repped this.
  16. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Oh I agree but I just hope he doesn't pick up bad habits. Or feel that Atalanta scoring at the near death today forgives there errors. Agreed, I also think he will be just fine.

Matteo Ruggeri continuing to get valuable Minutes as well.

With so many Dutch players on both sides it was oddly appropriate that I watched the match in Dutch. :D

17. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    You left out old man Acerbi, who actually might be the only CB that is a sure starter. Though I would love to see a Buongiorno Gatti partnership, Bastoni every time I see him makes crucial mistakes.

18. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Zaniolo and Jorginho are subs and honestly they shouldnt get much playing time for Azzurri, but I know Spalleti likes them as well as SES which sucks.

19. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    I only saw highlights but Cambiassso put in a good cross for their goal. Did see Kvara embarrass him in the highlights but not sure how that matchup looked for the rest of the match.

If nothing else, Gatti showing some real character to resurrect himself as he has done with his career; especially after his absolute howler of an own goal previously this season. Good for him

20. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    And Di Marco even more so on the other side. We're very porous in defense on the wings against quality

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    About Cambiaso:

LA GAZZETTA DELLO SPORT 7,5 –
    Gara d’intelligenza tattica mostruosa, esaltata dal doppio lavoro di assalitore di fascia e marcatore di Kvara. In più, l’assist a Gatti.

22. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    I may have to re-watch the hi-lites or find extended ones. Don't recall Cambiaso/ Kvara incident right now.

How about Zaccagni's goal today with his back turned to goal? Struck it with his sole. Shades of prime Roberto Mancini at Sampdoria.

Dimarco with a fantastic finish today. Earlier on that crossfield millimeter Pass by Barella to Dimarco. Couldn't have been more perfect if he damn near tried.

23. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023

I saw what you did there. LMAO.:ROFLMAO:

24. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    For the national team he has been shaky but Bastoni has been a monster for Inter. It's because he plays in a 3 man defense on the left side and has more of a playmaker role (interchange with Dimarco) On the national team he's strictly a left central defender. Acerbi on the other hand has club experience in a 4-3-3 which is why he stands out.

I'd bet anything Bastoni has the highest transfer value of the Italian defenders. Someone like Pep would love him

calabrese8 repped this.
  25. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Im not gunna lie, I really only watch the national team but ya Ive heard Bastoni has been great for Inter. It doesnt look like we will use a 3 man back though, so who are our best 2 CBs?