Semifinal: Sweden v Canada [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dandal, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Swedes usually don't want to come out looking too overconfident, but what do you say about this:

- We're on the freeway to Carson.
    (Mats Olsson, Sweden's most wellknown sports columnist)

- The worst case scenario now is getting home only with a silver.
    (Malin Svedberg, sports journalist at the major TV network and member of the 1991 WWC bronze team)

And both these statements was before the China-Canada match.

2. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    all this makes me sure that they will lose against canada

somehow this overconfidence reminds me of wc 1990 were the swedish press was 100% sure that costa rica was going to be a piece of cake. the only worry was that brazil might not defeat scotland and thus not allowing us to advance

3. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Semis:

USA vs. Germany --> BATTLE OF THE SKILLED

Sweden vs. Canada --> BATTLE OF THE BRUISERS

Sweden and Canada may destroy each other; neither team will make it to the Finals in one piece.

I think Canada will prevail 2-1.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Sweden has the tools to penetrate the Canadian bunker, just like Germany did.

Sweden-USA rematch on the 12th. :)

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    When Sweden defeated Brazil that guaranteed that they would be making the trip to Carson. The Swedes will more than likely be there at the Home Depot Center on October 12th, but probably as spectators after having lost the bronze medal match the previous day. ;)

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Unfortunately, Canada has only been on TV once (in the quarters). So my impression of them is from the CHN vs. CAN. They can not win against SWE if they play like that.

SWE has too much team speed, size and skill. 2 hot forwards with good support from the midfield. Above all a very well structured defense.

SWE vs USA (I hope) on the 12th.

7. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm betting on Sweden too. Their defenders are tough, they're mature enough to not give out too many careless fouls in dangerous areas, and the whole team seems to be getting better with each game. They'll also work the ball up field faster than China (who wasted way too much time on build-up). And that Svensson girl has looked incredible throughout the tournament.

8. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    As much as I like Canada, I think Sweden has the advantage upfront. Vickan and Hanna have been incredible. Sweden also passes the ball really well. Mostrom is a force to be reckoned with.

9. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Before summer I felt rather confident about Sweden's chances. Both the NT and the clubs were doing really good and I thought Germany could possibly give Sweden a match, but no one else in Europe. Then the NT did a couple of really bad games against Finland and Denmark. Ok, won both, but not the way they should have. Add to that the really, really bad performance the first half against USA in the WWC opener, and I was prepared to give it up.

After the Brasil game I'm starting to regain my confidence in the team. They were actually able to play a match the way they planned to do it and it worked. Now, Canada definitely isn't Brasil. Against Brasil it was about applying pressure high in the field, dominating the midfield and trying to destroy all attempts to build up organised attacks. I really can't see that would be the main task in a match against Canada. I've only seen Canada in the China match plus assorted highlights from the Germany match. But from that it really doesn't look like Canada has the ability or even will to build an organised attacking game. And I think Sweden is less to it's advantage when it comes to trying to break through a strong defence.

Anyhow, I have Sweden as favourite in this game. Before the QF's a swedish paper gave Canada a 10% chance to reach the semi. I'll give them 30% to reach the final.

10. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Sweden is a very good team and s/b the favourite going into the s/f match. Canada and Sweden tied in Algarve but Canada has a lot of injury problems that they didn't have then. Still, I'm sure Sweden won't be expecting an easy game.

Not sure anyone would call Canada's attack organized. Semi-organized to what looks like outright chaos would be more like it. But it would be a big mistake to think Canada can't put on a lot of offence or score a lot of goals. Canadian strikers are opportunists. They take advantage of any chances they get and make them count.

How Canada plays Sweden all depends on what Pellerud decides in the way of strategy. If the field is slippery look for Canada to go for the early goal and then bunker. If traction is good then Pellerud is more likely to stick with an offensive style. More like the second 2-1 win over Brazil this summer where Canada had something like 15 corners and lots of scoring opportunities. Brazilian keepers did a good job holding Canada to 2 goals.

11. joan6

joan6 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    yellow cards

Canada picked up several yellow cards yesterday too. They have to be careful if they don't want to lose starting players for the final, if they can beat Sweden. I saw Latham do something unbelievably stupid in the second half that could have gotten her chucked out of the game. They really have to have better composure...I think this is one area Sweden has a big edge. They are much more composed while still playing hard, physical soccer.

12. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: yellow cards

Good point. Canada got some stupid cards. Didn't Hooper get a card for disputing a call? This could cost Canada dearly if they get past Sweden. You know the Sweden match will be heated and physical with a few yellow cards -- you'd hate to see a player miss out on a Final...

13. joan6

joan6 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Re: Re: yellow cards

Yep. I believe Hooper's card was for mouthing off. And I can't believe a couple of the other plays Canada *didn't* get carded on, particularly Latham's where play was stopped, and she just shoved a Chinese player in the back with both hands.

14. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: yellow cards

Time will tell if yellow cards play a factor. Might just be much ado about nothing.

Refs were pretty bad in China game. Lots of bogus calls. Two against Hooper deep in Canada's zone. She was pissed off and rightly so. Some bad calls also got China booked for a "mouthing off" yellow. Same thing could happen to Sweden in the semi. Refs like that just screw up the game.

15. joan6

joan6 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, I have to agree that the refs have been fairly awful all tournament. Nevertheless, everyone knows that they don't change their minds once they make a call. If you don't like the call, the biggest favor you can do your team is to shut up, shake it off, and keep playing.

Sure, the cards might all come to nothing, but to put yourself in the position where one more yellow means you don't play in the World Cup final (should your team go through), that's pretty stupid. Especially if you are someone like Hooper who is a veteran and leader on the team.

16. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Pellerud on Sweden

Even Pellerud talked to a bunch of swedish journalists in Portland yesterday:

- China built up their attacks fairly slow, which fit our type of play well. I don't think Sweden will give us that advantage.

- Sweden has probably the best forwards of the tournament.

- Sweden is superiour to Canada in everything except maybe the physical play.

- We need luck to defeat Sweden.

- This canadian team's real goal is WWC 2007. We've had an amazing success so far, but our long-time potential is greater than this.

17. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
  18. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    "I'd rather be the Beast and win. I'd rather win looking ugly than lose looking pretty,'' she said of the all-out defensive second-half strategy to put away the Chinese team, which lost the last World Cup in the final in a shootout to the U.S.

"All anybody remembers is the result. The pretty team is going back to China. We're going to the semifinal.''

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/Women/2003/10/04/217375.html

19. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    seems like izzy's not the only one who has a left knee injury ... from looking at a few AP pics, seems like one of sweden's players, sara call, injured her knee at training yesterday ... and it looks pretty serious ...

pics:
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/photos/index.html?i=0&d=1
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/photos/index.html?i=3&d=1
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/photo?slug=pge10110032314.wcup_sweden_pge101&prov=ap

i looked up her stats, and she's not a starter for sweden, but has come into the game for 2 mins ... and is a defender ...

eek! don't like all these injuries!

elaine

20. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    Re: Re: Semifinal: Sweden v Canada [R]

i agree, the bronze won't come easily, they have to face Germany or USA.

21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Re: Pellerud on Sweden

Typical Even to be defensive and play the underdog. Anyway, he can be historic and become the first coach to lead three teams to the Final of the World Cup. (Norway 91' and 95' and may be Canada now). I don't think anyone has managed that in the men's World Cup either. At least not with two different nations.

22. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Of course, but it seems like you're fixated on this point. It happened, time to move on. Good news is Sweden has 2 yellows to worry about themselves. :)

23. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    i want USA to win the throphy but, i don't mind Sweden wins it, 'cause they've been my 2nd favorite team in this tournament.

24. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    "We are not as physical as the Canada team. It is very important we focus on the way Canada plays very physical. If we allow Canada to do that, we won't win,'' said coach Lyfors.

"They are a very physical team and very good in the air. We are not tall. We have to play on the ground.''

"It's one of the most important things because Canada plays so physical. We have to play direct and make decisions fast. That's important when you play a team as physical as Canada.''

"They are very good at scoring the first goal. Scoring the first goal will be a key for us.''

"We don't play it like that now because we're too small,'' said Ljundberg. "And I'm one of them.''

25. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Happy Birthday Silvana!

I think Christine Sinclair is going to have a big match today in front of the Portland crowd. I'm not sure about the status of Morneau, but if she doesn't start today it would be nice to see Silvana Burtini get some significant playing time today on her 35th birthday. :)

Having a coach with as much WC experience as Pellerud is a big plus for Canada. My prediction for today's match is a 2-1 victory for Canada. :cool: