Semifinal #2: USA vs. BRA (9/27; PRE & PBP) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Charge!, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Wambach and Lilly v. Marta and Christiane. For starters. Post away, y'all. :D

2. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Semifinal #2: US v. Brazil (9/27; pre-match & PBP) [eventual R]

As I said in another thread I'd give my left arm if we could beat the US, but I dont see it happening!!

Not that we're not equal on skill level to the US but losing on set pieces have always been Brazil's downfall whether in the womens and mens games and this Thursday will be no different!! 3-1 US is my pick.

And if our defense plays like that on Thursday then Ms. Andreia better get use to seeing Ms. Wambach, O'Reilly and Lilly cause she's gonna get alot knocks on her door and there wont be any Jehovah's witnesses on the other side either!! :D

3. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Re: Semifinal #2: (9/27; pre-match & PBP) [eventual R]

Marta? who is Marta. She was totally useless against Australia. The U.S. will need to be on their toes defensively to frustrate the gold and blue.

4. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It will be interesting to see how Brazil can withstand the US's high pressure in the Brazilian defensive third. It will also be interesting to see how the US's 3 woman midfield will cope with Brazil's passing game. Will we see the US switch to 4 in the middle Thursday? And if so, will it be 343 or 442?

This will be the showpiece of women's football.

5. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The United States won't play three in the back against Brazil. I will go through the TV screen to bonk Ryan on the head if he tries that.

6. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California

The US did play a 343 against Brazil during the summer, though Marta didn't play and she is a whole other kettle of fish.

I'd like to see the 442.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

Most teams are playing a 343 with a rather pulled back midfield. I don't see that changing for the USA. Brazil also played a 343 against Australia. This one promises to be a great gane, but I think USA is favorite. Set pieces is one thing, and stamina is another in favor of the USA team.

Aline vs. Wambach is going to be a great fight, they both are tall, strong and resistant.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

hmm...has anyone ever actually seen Marta and Formiga play at the same time? What if they're actually robots with limited AI or something and the person controlling them has problems controlling multiple robots at the same time? Has anyone even considered that for a second?

9. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC

I agree that the US high pressure could be real important. Especially because it can and should lead to fouls and thus dangerous set pieces.

Since the NK game I have been impressed with the team defense from the US. They have been doing really well communicating with and covering for each other. This will be really key against Brazil. A team like that, you will lose some 1 v 1 battles, its where those losses are, and what you do after that matter.

Will also be interested to see if the USA uses Osbourne to man mark Marta. It was very successful against Kelly Smith, but Marta is a very different kind of player.

10. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

Brazil defenders wont be able to handle USA offensive set plays. Abby's goal vs England showed that however, US needs to button down the midfield and prevent Brazil from having too much time on the ball. They are masters at ball control until a teammate can exploit space and create something unstoppable. Look for a 442 with with the center 2 playing more defensive, the more fit of the 2 pushing up late to join the attack.

11. Dr. Mario86

Dr. Mario86 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Berkeley
    Re: SF USA vs. BRA (9/27; PRE & PBP) [R]

This game will be the most exciting one up to that point. It will be quite physical as well. The US players are some of the biggest in the tourney, but Brazil's players are quite aggressive. I don't know who'll win.

12. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny

When last have Brazil ever beaten USA in all the history between them! I don't see them doing so unless somebody dive in the penalty box in the stopped time and the ref award them a free gift..

13. Dr. Mario86

Dr. Mario86 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Berkeley

This does seem to be a better Brazilian side than we've seen in the past, though...

14. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

Yep. Against eachother, even. Formiga wasn't all that brilliant that day, so perhaps the controller had a friend help out with her movements.

15. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL

Dec. 13, 1997.

They drew 0-0 with Brazil June 27, 2000 at the Gold Cup.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

I think that "Formiga wasn't all that brilliant that day" supports my theory. There is a single controller for Formiga and Marta. On that day, the controller was used primarily for Marta while Formiga was running primarily on built-in artificial intelligence. We can only hope ESPN/Disney isn't reading this looking for movie ideas.

17. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005

I don't think the USWNT has played a 442 under Ryan at all, so I doubt we'll see that. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 433 with Osborne and Boxx again. Either that or the 343 with Lopez on the wing.

Should be a very physical match, with little "pretty" play on either side.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

There were quite a few times when I wanted to rush the field and tackle the Brazilians for their hacking and physical play in the tuneup for the WWC. Of course I was watching on tv... and then there's the issue of those restraining orders...

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

the last game that mattered between these two (2004 olympics) was a real corker, and i think brazil played the better game. but the u.s. won. i'm hoping for the same thing this time. brazil has better players, but the u.s. has tremendous discipline and stamina. i'll be glued to my tv.

hope the world is too. tournament soccer is usually the worst, but this could be a good game for women's football.

[it's almost impossible to mark marta and christianne for 90 minutes]

20. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Brazil is a hard team to predict. If the team that beat China 4-0 shows up, the USA could be in for a really rough ride. On the other hand, if things don't go Brazil's way, they could lose their composure and make an uphill battle for themselves. This will also be a battle to see if Marta or Abby dives more convincingly. It could be the one dive that produces a pk will make the difference.

21. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    ESPN is reporting that Scurry is going to start in goal against Brazil.

Interesting decision. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, Scurry has a lot of experience against Brazil, and she did start against them during the summer, though Solo was away because of her father. But, on the other hand, Hope is having a very strong tournament and I'd like to see our #1 go out there in the semi.

22. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    LOL!

Ryan is either very smart or very dumb. I'll hold judgement until the teams take the field. But the "official" roster isn't generally due until game day.

23. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah yes, the triple roll knee-pull or the ragdoll flop? Can't wait!

24. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny

Is a draw considered a win?

25. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Ryan must've been possessed overnight by the evil spirit of Steve Sampson. :rolleyes: :mad:

WTF is he thinking? Doesn't he want to win the Cup? The Scurry of '07 is a shadow of the Scurry of '99. Unless Solo's in a body cast, she plays tomorrow. End of discussion. Since when did this team decide on a goalie by committee?