Semifinal #1 Germany v Turkey - Post game discussion

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by Prawn Sandwich, Jun 25, 2008.

1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    only if they know personally some of the fenerbahce turkish players and that is unlikely

i think the answer is what crizmerz09 and I said

2. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    yeah I know, his name was Hans Goldenball before.

hey Germans do you know the player who won the Bundesliga championship most?
    he has a Turkish name, Turkish father.

3. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    if they think that way , they already lost to Germany then if they pass Russia. cause they were cheering as if they are from Turkey, frankly I didnt cheer that much,they were probably very disappointed now.

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mehmet Scholl...class player!!

5. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    This is 2008, there are bad calls in soccer: for goals have instant replay, like the one of Ruud versus Italy or the Italy goal negated by the linesman versus Romania I think.

The problem I see, is where does one stop having instant replay. I guess, just to call offsides and goals, it'd be nice to check falls in the box but I guess that is not feasible.

I think the foul on Lahm should have been a Free Kick not a penalty.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ruud's goal on Italy was valid according to the rulebook. Obscure rule or not - it's in there.

Lahm's call should have been a penalty, just watching the replay on ESPN Classic now.

Agree on the need of technology to help the game from being ruined due to poor calls made by refs, though!

7. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    As I said, I think that would have been at the most a Free Kick, the foul was on the line.

It seems the referees have received instructions to be very very careful in assessing penalty kicks and I'd say we've had very few. Mutu for Romania got an opportunity but I can't remember a whole lot of them called though I haven't seen every game.

8. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Look, the fact is: Germany won the game in spite of a "blown call" by the ref (On Lahm) & a 'fluke' goal by Turkey.

Also, all of the pressure was on Gemany, as the favorite & there was no pressure at all on Turkey, as they had achieved much more than expected!

(When i was younger, I coached High School basketball & i can tell you about how a heavily favored team can feel a lot of pressure!)

The Germans showed tenacity, a fighting spirit & courage (tho they did not play one of their better games). And, in the end, they won, scoring after Turkey had tied he game in the 83rd minute. Lots of teams would have been dis heartened & lost their spirit!

But, the Germans showed the valor & "never quit" character that seems to run in their DNA. The team should be proud & the German nation proud of them as well. Fact is, Netherlands is out, Portugal out & Italy out...& Germany is in the final! ;) As one former footballer stated years ago (i forget his name) he said..."Football is a game where both teams fight their hearts out for 90 minutes and in the end.............the Germans win!

Good win, Deutschland! And, well deserved. I firmly believe that much of this "anti German" thread..that some posters write....is merely jealousy!:(

Just my humble opinion. Wotan:)

9. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004

I defended Ruud's goal as being legit but it was a poor example to use here, I was just saying, if there are questionable goals then use the technology but the Van Nistelrooy situation indeed does involve different rules for interpretation, that is correct.

I'm just thinking, it's silly to have some bad calls and let's say it is the year 2020 and no instant replay.

I don't think instant replay will happen until some countries, England, Germany or Italy start using it. It needs to be used by leagues first so who knows. The US doesn't and MLS is a good league but isn't really in the Elite yet.

10. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    Which Turkish goal was a fluke? Semih's? Total skill IMO The truth is the Turks had the better of the Germans especially in the first half and should have put them away. That goal post is still shaking from the force of kazim's shot! It could have ben 2-0 and "good night Germany" soon after that. When Turkiye plays well, the other side is portrayed to be having an off day...could it be the better play of the Turks made the Germans look bad for most of the game? Logic and the plays we saw on the pitch would indicate that.
    The second German goal was a gift from Rustu who had no business coming out if he was not going to touch the ball. All I hear is that Lahm's situation was a penalty...how about him doing the same to the Turkish player in his 18? How come ther is no mention of that?
    In the end Germany won, I congratulate them...and root for them in the final as they are a home to millions of hard-working migrant Turks there. But give credit where it is due.

11. blue3d

blue3d Member

Jul 2, 2004
    USA
    1. There should have been a penalty given to Germany for the takedown of their player in the box (on the line).
    2. Turkey deserves to be in the final???? How about the 2 - 0 loss to Portugal? Germany won Portugal because of the non-call push from Ballack on Ferreira that should have nulled the goal. However, it was a very close game (would have ended on spot kicks).
    3. Holland truly deserves to be in the final, but where are they?
    4. The beauty and bane of these tournaments is the no-loss elimination. Anybody can beat anybody at least one time. It is unfortunate (in my opinion) that only a single game determines the outcome (unlike the NBA). Could you see Turkey beating Germany 4 out of 7 times? Could you see Russia beat the Netherlands 4 out of 7 games? I'm uncertain of the outcome of an Italy - France series, or a Portugal - Germany series. Whatever the outcome, it is dubious that the European Champion or World Cup Champion every year are always the best team in the tournament (ie. Greece). I wish the tournament would reflect this.

12. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    hey dudes why are you saying this all night? Who will be jealous of Germany ?
    I dont know if you meant Turkish being jealous, if its that, then I say:
    Do you think is there any Turkish who wants to be German now?
    ok let me put that way
    Germany - has lots of cups already, adding more cup is good, but what is great for Germany now?
    Turkey - no cups, no finals, they already won as you said,

so who deserved much, more sympathy do you think? Turkey or Germany?

I mean if I was German, I would not be satisfied by another cup, I wish my team would dominate every team, and not looking for excuse saying `our guys were under stress`. These guys playing soccer more years than the high school kids lived in this world. Such an analogy is misleading.

Turkey , as you Germans saying "maybe the top 10-20 in attacking", (since it defense is terrible) this would make in top 50-60 overall according to your bright logic. So what about almost lose such a 40-50 th rank teams` B team.

Shots: Turkey 19, Germany 9
    Shots on Goal: Turkey 11, Germany 4
    Corners: Turkey 8, Germany 2
    Posession: Turkey 55, Germany 45

This statistics similar to Turkish previous matches reversely(opponents having more positions, shots), people congratulated them, cause Turkey was an underdog with respect to Czech, Croatia.

But for Germany , they played worse, though they won as expected. No entertainment here, do you congratulate an English, when they beat San Marino 5-0? If you congratulate them, sorry for my long post, waste of time.
    What were you expecting guys ? People to come and say `oh Germany you played great, wonderful, though you were underdog, you beat those B team of Turkey`
    please be realistic.

13. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I love Germany, I support the German national team and I reserve the right to be satisfied with any victory that places us in the final of the European Championships. Goals are entertaining, and winning is entertaining - I'd say I have plenty of cause to be entertained by the way Germany are playing.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The 1st one. Lehmann was a true bufoon on that one. It was a "gift"!

But I take nothing away from Turkey and their play. Great team and great fighting spirit! Congrats on all your accomplishments - you guys are a reason why this Euro was great...thanks!

15. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I dont waste time with other things, did you see Russia-Holland? Do you know what football is all about? Did you ever try to play soccer in a field?
    Do you know who is Guus Hiddink? or you are just another Football Manager game guy evaluating teams based on the price of players?

16. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
  17. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Turkey- 2 final four appearances in 6 years and they'll surely be FIFA top 10 after this tournament and Greece btw was 8th coming in: my interpretations are probably more lenient than others, but a bit like Croatia, I'd call them a power, maybe not the elite, but up there definitely.

18. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    I meant "thank you" Crismerz09...

19. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Thanks dude, I ll not delve into any discusiion anyway about this spirit thing, lets call it belief. But its not that make you win a match. San Marino can spend one year in believing, got Fatih Terim as a coach, still I am not sure, they will do sth.

P.S. Sorry San Marino guys, I used you as an example all day long, you are champions of our hearts.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great effort by Turkey, but congrats to Germany

21. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I assume you said to my post. Ok then its difference between cultures, good to know that.
    This was our first time in semi final in an Euro, thus everybody is satisfied.
    But if we do something worser then final next time, people will highly critize. Right or not, this is Turkish culture, people will be looking for improvement, will not be satisfied by a semi final again.

Similarly we should understand Greece. What about movie 300, it was a heroic story of a defence.
    Maybe defense make people happy in Greek culture, and Greece was happy when they won Euro 2004, dont blame them( I never blamed, you cant expect Greece winning cup playing offensively), they deserved it.

The team who will win this cup, will deserve too,

Please just give up this 'dream team Netherland deserved so much' , bla bla thing. This is not Oscar or Emmy awards given based on critics, this is football, played on the pitch, ends in the pitch.

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if germany were not leading 3-1 at the end then they'd have been concentrating fully and postiga would not have scored in that way. In fact it was quite obvious by that stage that both teams had dropped a lot in intensity and that the game was petering out. It was just the substitute nani for portugal who turned up to work space and cross the ball.

So if ballack doesn't score, don't take the 2nd portuguese goal for granted.

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    sinan

germany are in their 13th final, but this is not the same set of players that got to the first 12.

Let's say this was 1978 and beckenbauer, mueller and overath were playing in argentina, people would want to win it in total style after 3 straight finals. Not happy with just a win (of course 1972 was won in total style already).

But this is a different team. They are a good team as they showed in WC06 and were the best quality and most consistent team in europe from 06-08, BUT, they have had problems in the euros and have played 2 good games, 2 bad games and 1 decent game (today).

They are not some invincible side.

Why do people expect more?

I get the feeling throughout this thread and the last one that people use very different standards to judge germany because of past german teams.

Comments like "rubbish german team...I can't believe they got to the final!".

Even if turkey outplayed germany today, it was not by a lot. (Personally turkey took the first half and germany controlled the 2nd, so it was even, maybe with a slight edge to germany.)

But people make comments like the one I put in quotes because they judge by different standards. Do they not remember the good game v/s portugal where germany did outplay portugal? Or Poland?

I think people are harsher on germany and see things more negatively than they are in games like today where the game was actually even. This is then made worse by it being a semifinal and germany reaching yet another final because of it.

I mean if germany lost today 2-3 and played exactly like turkey did while turkey played like germany did, would there be people saying "poor germany...."

just a rant

24. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008

I really read almost all messages, but could not notice comments like `rubbish` or `poor`. Thus I thought he was implying us. and answered,

We all understand I think each other, but dude if you say this was a game Germany played decent I dont want to imagine, when they play worse,
    so good good luck in final (though I dont believe in luck, but if there is such a thing called luck, I wish it stands with you)

but really I understood your sentiment here, even a slight comment make you think people are trying to say bad thing to you. I read somewhere, or some German said to me how bad effect these movies about WW II had on Germany.

I really respect Germany, and I dont hate Germany, Das Boot, Stalingrad are two of my favourite movies, so guys please relax nobody in Turkey just watch a Hollywood movie and think German these way, and at least in Turkey they did not teach us to belittle a nation when discussing an opinion.

Did you see any negative comments by Turks here? I read most the Turkish forums, the worst thing they say are (the most fanatics) about Lahm`s and Germany unfair tactical fouls, and Metzelder playing theatre (when he was requesting from ref a second yellow to Semih). But did not see any here by any Turkish guy, maybe from others. Even Turkish claims are just personal, not a sentence involving `rubbish , poor Germany or Germans`. So please, just ignore them (who are not Turks and saying `rubbish` etc), or dont blame Turkish people. You guys sound like Turks are saying these things.

just take it easy, and have the fun, go to some bar to cheer or church to pray, thank to God, whatever, no need to approval from anybody, Germany is in final, history will record that.
    Probably, you know, some people have hatred, dislike against to some countries, regardless of football played (political or personal), so no need to take them serious right?

lastly I didnt say people expect more from Germany, I just asked. In Turkey people always request more, try to improve, I thought similar for Germany. It was my wrong.No judgment here.

Congratulations again.

25. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    It's your right to rant.

I'm happy for the fans of Germany, they have been always fair and kind from my experience.