PBP: Semi-final: Portugal vs Spain - June 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by JaredSS07, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now if only we could put a few of those shots in the net...;)

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of being obnoxious by answering my own question, the answer is Zero.

Casillas made zero saves against Portugal.
    The stats give Portugal credit for 2 shots on target, but I find that hard to reconcile with zero shots hitting the keeper's hands.

So, again, fairly dreadful all around; but Portugal can have few complaints.

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. federicobeatle

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is easy to answer. England was 'inviting' them to come forward so that something could happen in the match

5. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    They did a little bit in ET. I totally agree with you however. Someone has to beat them though,if they are to change their style. Some may not like it,but you cant argue with the results.

6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    They count the penalties as shots on target. During actual play they had 0 shots on target.

whill4 and Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  7. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    If you mean the first half, that would be the grand exception to the rule. Spain actually tried and couldn't there, something that I hadn't seen for years (the only match I can recall it happening in a similar manner is the World Cup match vs. Paraguay).

Now, the reason why Portugal didn't continue that is simply because they couldn't. That has to have been one of the singularly most exhausting tactics in the sport, trying to block practically every space available to Spain.

8. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain on the other hand had 1 chance that tested our keeper so I guess it was a pretty tight game :thumbsup:

9. Spain feel the pain

Spain feel the pain New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    You know i really dunno what the whole entire complaint about Spain not trying is all about... just because they dont try on every ball they get doesnt mean they are not threatening at goal, Portugal did a good job defending... simple, wasnt because of the style of play at all... spain attacked like hell against ireland , ireland played an open game and got crushed.... and France was playing quite well considering some mistakes which if they had been cool and collected about it wouldnt have made riberry was amazing with his runs, and obvious wanting to win but hey look at those spanish runs into the box 1 2 3 defenders.. what about silva's goal he tapped in with defenders all over him the clam the control he picked his spot he didnt need to blast it... how about when inesta made one turn and left the defence for dead and by doing so kept navas on side? if you ask me there are alot of thrills I dunno what you guys are watching maybe you're only happy when you see big names do clever things unfortunately all the big names that faced Spain have come up with nothing but a big zero... di natali now that was a great run and a great goal he should be proud but i guess if its not balotelli or prilo then it doesnt count... stop being a lemming and watch the game for what it is... As for the guy who says its an ugly game... its because you know f*uck all about football as do alot of ppl who watch it....obviously i quote somebody here who said "Spain just passes the ball and dosent let the opponents get it so how can the opponents score?" My answer EXACTLY! every coach I have played for has said to us keep posession run them off the ball...captains during the game always tell you to slow it down keep control.... so what kind of football do you want the 6 year olds playing sunday soccer kind? where all 22 players are constantly chasing and kicking the ball towards one side or the other?

10. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    why is it so hard to accept that football fans around the world dont like your style?
    do you really need validation that much? is it your inferiority complex?
    take your cups and enjoy your 15 minutes, man
    they're almost up

11. Spain feel the pain

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Thats the problem with haters it seems like you are looking for validation by still replying and really not saying anything at all except they suck they suck... but they also win and win so I know the mentality... you cant beat it so you put it down... tsk tsk 15 min? you mean 4 years coming 6 years and 2 back to back titles and one maybe on the way... with histor possibly about to be made? I guess you are one of those ppl who cried when maradonna did the hand of god.... or when baggio missed the penalty... looks like your 15 mins are up ....so I will enjoy watching you squirm as spain still continues to annoy you and remind you that you know nothing about winning... its good to come in 2nd cos then you're never alone... go get a ball and kick it around cos thats as good as itd gonna get for you... and as I said carry on...

12. Spain feel the pain

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    P/S you know what I know you're still gonna watch the game HAHAHHAHAH!!!!!! and the next and the next HAHAHAHAH love it....

13. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Congrats to Spain.

Portugal is never going to achieve anything as long we keep having horrible strikers such as Almeida. Not that I'm faulting Portugal's lack of cutting edge on him, but he did awful decisions throughout the campaign. Postiga might be a softie, but at least he's able to do something decent once in a while.

14. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well without Villa or any quality striker on the field there's no belief by viewers that the passing will lead to any end result. Hence its painful to watch. Especially when the quality of passing isn't there like against Portugal.
    But its not like its always been that way. In the previous 2 major tournament Spain were a delight to watch.

16. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Almeida was horrible and I think he cost Portugal the game. Three times he had VERY good looks in the second half. Two times ronaldo fed him in the box and he didnt even force Casillas to make a save.....the third time he culd have fed the ball to a streaking ronaldo and instead chose to take a shot outside the box....which was again way off target.

That being said, Christina had a chance to ice the game in the 89th minute with a great look and time inside the box and he blasted it over casillas as well.......

It was a shame really. They deserved beter,but you have to finish......

17. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree completely. This time it has been painful to watch.....but the people in spain arent crying like the rest of us,because they are in the finals again !