PBP: Semi-final: Portugal vs Spain - June 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by JaredSS07, Jun 27, 2012.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know a lot about him I know how he trained to score all those goals that he used to score. But I never knew that about him. What I said isn't a theory it's a fact. From playing and coaching the game for over 50 years. So he always got the chance to take that pk? I doubt it.

2. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Wolf-Christoph Fuss, IMHO the best German football commenter, spoke about it during the penalty shootout between Real and Bayern in the CL semifinal. He said that whereas the strategy for all teams used to be to line up your guys from most sure shooter to the worst and have the best shooter take the first shot, because if all goes well you won't even have to take the fifth shot, many teams have now switched to having their strongest shooter go last, a strategy that supposedly adds a slight psychological advantage. The most important reason is that the last shooter often bears the burden of make it or break it, knowing that if he misses, that's it, so the fifth shot is often psychologically the most demanding one. If the first shooter misses, you can still hope to equalize.

Of course it's vital to have a good shooter go first, too, but if this is someone who is not perceived a really strong shooter and he makes it, you add a lot of pressure on the shoulders of the opponent. This was demonstrated nicely during that CL semifinal. Youngster Alaba went first and fired it in without blinking. Schweinsteiger went last and sealed the deal. A shame these guys all cramped up during the final (Alaba was barred from playing).

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It depends the most dangerous scorers are not always the best pk takers. Plus after 120 minutes maybe the players just might not be physically ok enough to take the pk. But if he is the coach and the player want to be the first or second taker. Oh how did Ronaldo do when he took his pk as the 5th taker? :) if they had it to do over again knowing what they know now. Would they still want him to go last?

4. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will eat my own cock if THIS spanish teams wins it again. I can't help it!

5. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All in all you were right ^^

6. ganzetto

ganzetto New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Each one showcases the weapons he has. Portugal had Ronaldo, but he has played so depressing... Why offend the Spanish? Everyone has their own weapons and fielding. respect! Do you think that The God of Football protect Germany? or maybe the Germans think they are The God? I hope that the Germans think to be IT, because this presumption is the only weapon that can cause them to lose, as in 2006

7. Spain feel the pain

Spain feel the pain New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Again I am reading all this hate for Spanish football style... I am pretty sure most of these ppl commenting are ppl who dont play the game or honestly have been playing the game badly and or watching for the wrong reason... you guys must be one of those kids who when playing football adores the striking position and always wanting to play in that position there are alot more aspects to the game... watching a striker stand and run for position 4 steps and a shot is honestly boring to death... stop watching games where its david vs golaith.... the midfield struggle fiding the opening keeping cool moving the ball, defenders marking well and not being rash and stupid... goalies controling his defence and making superb decisions a team working together these are honestly a huge if not majority of the game, football was never meant to be a game of high score lines its about unity and working as a team, about besting the other team at all costs if defending is what you do best (Italy) then do it and do it well... if counter attacking is what you do best (Germany) then do it well and if passing the ball and being patient is what you do best then do it (spain) I for one am tired of seeing players just out pacing his marker and getting into a position for a goal because of it and only it.... lets look at M.Owen nothing but pace honestly and C.ronaldo nothing but pace and parlour tricks which need soo much space to pull of that everytime he has none... can pull off none of them... if you feel bored from good football being played then watch something else like basketball lots of points there... and its a foul to pass back behind your line....

8. Ze' Pereira

Ze' Pereira New Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I was thinking along these lines when reading the criticism, you can get the glory or single handedly lose the shoot out. You want the guy that will back themselves to take that last kick, Ronaldo in that respect was the right choice.

As to Spain, success breeds contempt, enjoy it, it beats the alternative. Well played, good luck in the final.

Proud of Portugal, if you're going to lose doing so to the current champions by the smallest of margins is the way to go. We played true to our style and gave a good account of ourselves. Hopefully a striking option emerges and distribution from the back improves, if so world cup contention may be a realistic goal.

kaizer5 repped this.
  9. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Eureka!!!!!

someone please get me Sepp's number now!

10. Spain feel the pain

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Finally.. I hope Germany goes all in and dosent show a defensive game plays as direct as possible do all the glory runs and blistering shots form all over the pitch with risky passing and throws 3 upfront all the time, just like all these "fans" who pay good money to see wants.. cos then Spain is going to maime them DB is going to supprise everybody in the finals hes going to play both strikers and and finishing the ball will be their mission, my prediction is this finals is going to silence all these morons and prove that its the other team not having the minerals to come and get the ball against spain that makes it a boring game and mind you this wouldnt be the first time Spain has mangled Germany this will be the what? 2nd or 3rd time? the last time they played spain their speedy wingers and strikers were taken out of the game quite well... so for all you haters sunday is going to be the icing on the cake go cry and bitch about it... aint nothing is gonna change... outclassed, outplayed and just plain out... and for the guy whos gonna eat his own penis I have one thing to say dont forget the salt and pepper and start shortlisting boyfriends and sex change clinics you gonna need it muahahahhahah!!!!

11. Spain feel the pain

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    This guy wants to change the game now is there no end to your crying really...... I know you think you're funny but your sorry excuse for sarcastic humour only shows your inability to understand football and honestly anything of worth.... sigh a lost cause... you may carry on.

12. Spain feel the pain

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    If Italy goes to the finals its going to be good they have been the only ones with the minerals to take it to Spain and showed no fear I wouldnt if I had buffon in goal.... heres to wishing an Italy vs Spain finals...

jerrito repped this.
  13. Cherusker

Cherusker New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    It would be a more exciting game to watch nevertheless than yesterdays. If you enjoy the endless passing without any purpose other than tiring the opponent then, well, great for you. I however just take the liberty to say that it bores me endlessly and that if all teams played this style I would change the sport. I understand perfectly well that it takes tremendous skill and tactical knowledge to be able to play like this. The Spaniards certainly perfected this kind of game. But nobody can force me to enjoy it. I hope Spain loses on Sunday and I frankly don't care if its Germany od Italy that hopefully finally kills their ugly game.

14. mattplant

mattplant Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Exciting game. I think Portugal played really well apart from the moment when Spain was controlling the game at the end. A bit unlucky about the missed penalty, but all in all Spain deserved to reach the final.

15. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Even though I feel italy have a better shot at defeating spain, i want spain to face italy in the finals. We've already beat germany twice, and the germans were completely dominated, I have no interest in seeing that final. Now vs italy we have a chance at beating them in a competitive game, and it ads more prestige to beat italy in a final.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That was dire. But such is the nature of major tournaments -- good stage games and crap knockout matches. The defenses are too good, the coaches are too careful, and the play is too cynical.

Some of it was the referee's fault. Foul, restart, foul, restart, foul, restart. You gotta stop that, buddy. Bruno Alves should have had his first yellow at 20 minutes, not 80.

17. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel asleep part way into the ET. Who won? ;)

18. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    That wasn't the correct part of the match to fall asleep in.

19. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No the problem is teams are too scared to open up space, which is why Spain have so much room to pass the ball side ways and to the back.

You honestly cannont say this is Spain's fault. No team wants to open up so Spain get all the blame...
    [​IMG]

20. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    So why didn't Spain open up yesterday when Portugal played a more expansive game?

mntiburon repped this.
  21. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I was thinking! The first half was actually entertaining because Portugal was attacking guns blazing. How did Spain react? They sat on their heels and continued their coma inducing tiki-taka. Call them good, call them smart, but please don't call them entertaining to watch.

22. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true Spain actually had a few shots on goal in ET. The fans should get a refund for suffering through the 2nd half.

23. federicobeatle

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just as the 3 point for a win rule was introduced to try and remove the boredom of defensive play in the first round of tournaments, now they need to introduce another rule to remove the horrible boring play of teams like Italy and Spain in the following rounds. Italy had possession of the ball during most of its game against England but that was only because they spent the time with a tedious an incessant series of passes at the back with no apparent willingness to go forward. As for Spain...well we saw the match last night.
    Will the final also be decided on penalties, after a 0-0 in extra time?
    'Nuf said.

24. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How does a team get more than 35 shots without "going forward" exactly?:rolleyes:

25. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, at least Italy was pushing forward and attempting to score for the majority of the game. They completely dominated England and I was happy to see them through to the semis.

jerrito repped this.