PBP: Semi-final: Portugal vs Spain - June 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by JaredSS07, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I think Ronaldo said "Injustice"!
    Portugal hit the woodwork 5-6 times in their tournament, including the missed penalty.

2. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    "I'm such a fvcking idiot":cool:

3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's mad. :D

4. rojadirecta

rojadirecta Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Portugal would be harder to beat than Germany.

Our deadly opponent is Italy.

5. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know I know. Please don't repeat that shit all the time.
    Germany is weak they are easy to beat. Portugal is stronger and Italy is the strongest. One-way arrogant naive way of thinking.

Spain has to be stopped no matter from whom. No matter from WHOM!

And btw. yes the opponents get tired quite fast. But do you think thats all? Defend and get tired? How about score against Spain then get tired and still win? Still don't know why no team has done it yet. Everyone is scared and stupid when playing offensive against Spain. There is no reason for that :(

6. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    YES,i think so...:D

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spain win because they keep the ball so long other teams can't attack.

I can't believe a team that lacks so much attacking threat can win so many tournaments.

They rarely ever look like scoring even when they dominate in 3 consecutive competitions.

Boring boring Arsenal? Boring borin Spain.

8. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Spain didn't score in the second half. They only even got close to scoring once.
    Did they have more than one shot on goal in the whole match until the second overtime?
    Now if Spain played with Pedro, Navas and Llorente from the outset, maybe I wouldn't hate them so much because it would give the impression they actually came to play football.

9. rojadirecta

rojadirecta Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Possession makes us win. And we have a lot of different alternatives.

Our bench is loaded with super class players. In that alone we the best in Europe. I think people look at our style of game more than our quality sometimes.

Silva and Cazorla are small players but our a lethal duo when they play together.

But if we were to play with our trident Navas, Pedro and Torres, we give up more possession for speed. Navas and Pedro are the best at their positions and requires a lot of vigilance and defense because they like to dribble.

The only department we struggle with is forwards. But its because our style of play requires a small player like Adrian or Villa.

However, Negredo, Torres, and LLorente are world class forwards. Negredo is really skillful player and Llorente wins almost every air header!

Truth is we can lose against any team. But our quality is very heavy and our style of play makes it more difficult.

10. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Let's not get into the stats argument again. Either side could have won this match. Spain took better penalties. That's about all that can be said about this game.

I will give credit to Portugal for playing a tactically nice game and showing that Spain can be contained. Now someone just needs to do that AND score if they want to beat Spain. You may not like the tactic, but it works for Spain and wins them tourneys.

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The problem with Spain today was how out of synch Iniesta and Silva were. Most of the turnovers in the final third were because one of those two tried to pass to the other.

12. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Xavi had a poor game as well, that whole midfield trio just didn't click as Portugal pressured them

13. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a few very good opportunities evaporated due to their miscommunication. Which is odd, to say the least.

And:
    Dear Ronaldo,
    You lost -- fair and square.
    So please stop bothering me.
    Love,
    Themis.

[​IMG]

jerrito and LoewenBoy repped this.
  14. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spain fail to impress time and time again. I don't care how much posession they have.

They are a defensive side that defends with possession. That's why teams cannot beat them
    and they always win with low scorelines.

All that flair they have on the pitch and we get these performances every time.

Brazil will always be the greatest team to me, even if Spain win 3 in a row.

PapaDoc23 and flowergirl repped this.
  15. Spain feel the pain

Spain feel the pain New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    That explains it Brazil..... sure Brazil has fielded some of the greatest teams ever in the history of football, but honestly they lose everytime they cant out score somebody... they dont play defensive my friend please atleast understand football before you comment they play possession, and extremely well too...and I'll take a 1-0 win over 7-6 any day although a win is a win...

jerrito repped this.
  16. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Since when? I've havent seen that.
    The best shooter goes first, and I dont mean technically.
    Ronaldo is the leader of this team, HE should've taken the first one, especially after Alonso missed his, there is no two ways about that!
    Messi would've taken it...
    When I saw Bruno Alvez coming up i said this shot has the potential to go 10 feet over the crossbar, and I bet every portuguese fan in the stands thought the same thing.
    Where was the coach?
    Those are decisions that a coach should make, not leave it to the players.

Not sure what the rules are. Is the order of the shooters given to the ref beforehand? or just the names?

nicklaino repped this.
  17. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you are Spanish you would know 1-0 scraped wins are not acceptable in Spain. They want to win by 3,4,5 and with flair like Brazil. The press is on their back constantly.

The same with Real Madrid and Barcelona. It's not enough for them just to win.

Spain lack passion and thrust upfront, it's like watching a training session and the crowd is non existant.

Portugal put up a very good performance until extra time.

18. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nonsense

19. ThePhantom

ThePhantom New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Portugal, well done, our country is very proud of our national team :thumbsup:
    On the other hand, Ronaldo, what were you doing? He obviously wanted to be the one who could score the last penalty and be Portugal's hero! :thumbsdown:

P.S.: Go GERMANY! Tear Spain apart! :)

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Impressive tactical & physical performance from Portugal for 90 minutes :thumbsup: , they caused the expectedly huge trouble to the best team in the world. Kudos! They didn't manage to keep this intensive pressing in their half for 120 minutes (that's quite normal), therefore they got under pressure in extra-time. Spain was rather disappointing for almost 90 minutes, but finally proved its class late in the match. PK shooting is always a lottery (tough luck for Portugal and good luck for Spain with their last pk).

Congrats to Espana for reaching the 3rd final in a row (impressive, and only topped by Germany's 4 finals between 1980 and 1990) and cheer-up for all Portugal fans after a great fight & strong tournament!

jerrito and LoewenBoy repped this.
  21. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spain were good in extra time. That's how they should have played the first 90.

Nobody can argue with Spain's results which are what matter at the end of the day.
    They grind out results like Italy and Germany used to and nobody complains about their record.

However I still feel they haven't reached their potential in terms of goals and excitement.
    For this reason many of us still find them a frustrating team to watch.

Juanele repped this.
  22. rojadirecta

rojadirecta Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Jealousy!

23. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jealousy of results, yes, every team is jealous of Spain's results.

However I don't enjoy watching many of their games. I admire their passing but not the end product.

In my opinion the great Brazilian teams are better to watch and more spectacular.

24. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Spain doesn't have to apologize for or justify its results to anybody.
    What most of us can't stand is the insistence that they play some kind of enlightened, entertaining soccer.
    Again, not that they have to. But Spain-backers (like Barca-backers) seem to demand not only respect for their results, but some kind of moral affirmation that they play soccer the "right" way. Which is crapola.
    Spain played 105 minutes of some of the worst football you will see against Portugal. They got away with it. Good for them. Champions can win ugly. Just stop trumpeting that you won the beauty contest too.

25. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Then why? No player wants to wait...they want to play and take their shot.