Selling stock in an MLS team

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by soccer4ever, Aug 8, 2002.

1. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    And I'm saying that legally a team could not be publicly traded because it isn't an entity on it's own but a part of a bigger entity MLS. If MLS wanted to be publicly traded then maybe it could issue a tracking stock for each team but since a team is nothing more than a division or business unit of a larger corporation (the reason SEM works and doesn't violate anti-trust) than a team could not by itself, legally, be publicly traded.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Does anyone know anyone from this company?

Are they hiring? :)

I live right down the street from their offices...

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You would have to look at a much longer time frame. The last few years have been very tough. Three or four years ago they were skyrocketing. All in all, I agree that sports teams are not the greatest investments.

4. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Unreal

Looks like Chris Bergin, our favorite intrepid British MLS reporter (did I mention "oh so accurate"? ;) ), is not only hyping this turkey of a stock, but he's also getting in bed with these losers financially, if you can believe it.

Here's the article hyping the stock (as though the volume is anything to get excited about) :rolleyes:

http://www.ussocceruk.com/modules.p...le=article&sid=49&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Here's the "explanation" for the hype:

http://www.ussocceruk.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=616

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bergin is worrying me with that crap. I can't figure out why he's a polarizing figure. I like the guy and what he does, I enjoy the rumors, and enjoy when the rumors come to fruition. But I'm not one of his koolaid drinkers.

I want his venture to succeed. But when you start hyping your relationship with a penny stock, it's time to worry. I hope he can muddle through. I'm not optimistic.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes, it's troubling. I hope nobody here invests in this, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone does.

7. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Re: Unreal

I can't speak to SDA's financial status, but I certainly can say that Chris Bergin is as accurate a reporter as anyone on the planet who covers MLS.

He does not make things up, and why some people think he does I'll never know- but I suspect it's the people who only look at the bigsoccer topic titles that say "Bergin is saying this" when in all actuality some prat has taken something posted on the "Your Say" section of his old Teamtalk site or the forum of his new ussocceruk.com site and presented it as a news report from Chris, when it was actually a post from a reader.

I challenge anyone to name a single thing where he has been inaccurate. He is respected within the league and anyone who actually reads his stuff knows he does not run with a story without first having several reliable and confirmed sources.

The guy busts his butt to report MLS news and yet he gets nailed for it.

8. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Re: Re: Unreal

First of all, did you see the ;) in the post? I was making a reference to the fact that he stokes controversy, that's it.

Secondly, can we NOT discuss Chris' reporting style now? None of us wants this thread to degenerate into a "Chris B. is good/bad for MLS reporting" discussion.

What's disturbing here (and relevant to THIS thread) is that Chris' new venture -- which you must obviously support, since it's totally and absolutely pro-MLS -- might be, based on Chris' own "hints," financed by the same turkeys who are bringing you a publicly-traded nightmare of a penny stock. Would you buy Enron or Worldcom stock at current prices? Well, these are all penny stocks FOR A REASON, including no faith in management or the business plan. Chris left Teamtalk to start this new venture; if it ends up dead in the water because funding dried up (and not because the content was uninteresting), wouldn't that suck?

It also doesn't help that his own "hype" refers to some 40,000 shares traded and fluctuations reported in percentages when we're talking about a range of 10-20 CENTS per SHARE. After all, a share that goes from one cent to two in a day is a 100% gain, but what good does that do the long-term investor if the company goes out of business the day after? To a reader that understands the business of the stock market, that smacks of either subject-matter ignorance or hopeless, rose-colored optimism. Neither bodes well for the future, no?

9. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I agree with you about the penny stocks (if interning at UBS/PaineWebber for 2 years has taught me anything about finance, it's that penny stocks are often a bad idea).

However, I will say that if SDA finds itself in financial trouble, it wouldn't necessarily mean the end of Chris' new venture. And he didn't exactly leave green pastures at Teamtalk- it has been a bit of a sinking ship recently (new management now). For now, I just hope that Chris' hard work will pay off.

Didn't mean to personally attack you Maverick- we all want MLS and US soccer to succeed here.

10. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Re: Unreal

I don't understand Bergin's involvement here...

By the by, isn't a journalist hyping a stock they own... Erm. Illegal. Or something.