Sell - or not to sell - that is the question

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by John_Harkes_6, May 25, 2007.

1. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    OK, so next week Aaron Vejar will pop to Titanic winger. This goes along with his super solid secondaries:

PM: Passable
    Scoring: Passable
    Defending: Passable
    Passing: Solid

I mean after Titanic it appears the transfer values drop like a rock. I am stuck with this question - sell him or keep him.

Pros to selling:
    - Maxmium value
    - FryDog is a huge douche so he doesn't have a spot as a U-20 player
    - I don't waste a training spot on someone losing value

Cons to selling:
    - He is my best winger pulling down 5.5 stars (should be 6 this week)
    - My next best winger only pulls down 3 stars and I don't think I would buy another winger

My gut says sell. Thoughts?

2. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    my take is sell also, I have a 20yo who just hit titanic wing with solid passing also and I'm only keeping him because I plan to do some passing training and maybe sell him at ET/Ex passing. Any passing plans??

The move from Titanic to ET isnt profitable, but like you I dont want to lose my top winger when my backups arent ready and I wouldnt buy a developed winger as a replacement.

3. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    That is not a bad idea - but I am not sure I have enough other players to make passing training worthwhile. Only four sellable players would getting training that may yield higher transfer fees.

4. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    it'd be nice to see that kid get some playmaking training.

5. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I've tried to set this up over several seasons, to where I have 15 players that will benefit for the passing training...some in resale, some in performance long-term.

6. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have to sell him. There is a chance that the next U-20 coach could pick him, but his value would go down. It would be nice if a PM trainer picked him up.

7. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Sell him.

How come you won't buy another winger if you are a winger trainer?

8. Paul2005

Paul2005 New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    NYC
    It depends on what you want to do as a team. HT is moving more and more away from the "training fo profit" system and will continue to do in the future. You can sell him now at the maximum amount you will get for him, but are you then going to be able to improve your team with the money he gets you?

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

I wasn't clear - I meant I won't buy someone who is going to be better than someone I already have. I would go out and buy a 17 yo with like passable winger but excellent passing or PM.

10. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    See - I am stuck here b/c I am in Div IV and in order to make the jump to Div III I need to make upgrades that are going to result in my wage bill soaring. As it is, I am probably $50-100k in the hole every two weeks. I need upgrades essentially everywhere but at defense in order to compete in Div III.

11. Paul2005

Paul2005 New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    NYC
    Yes, df is the last thing you need, even in in div iii. Check out my title winning season on akicku and you'll see my df was 117th ( out of 128 teams) in div 3 that season.

With this player, maybe play him as a wingback in your league games, offensive of course, will give a little boost to your MF and big boost to your attack, and he will train slower and you'll be able to afford to pay his wages for a season or two more. I think if you want to get ahead in HT you got to think of doing things differently to everyone else

12. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Listing this guy tomorrow:

Do I list him close to his approximate value ($1.5m?) or just roll the dice and list at $0?

13. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i'd be really hesitant to list a guy that valuable for zero. bad things can happen.

14. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Actually - I think I have come up with a third alternative - FTW.

He actually will post more stars than my current out of form forward so I may play him up top for a few games until I figure out exactly what to do with him.

15. Paul2005

Paul2005 New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    NYC
    If you list him at 1.5, id say theres a 90% chance he wont sell. I have seen Titanic/solids go for 1.5.

Listing for zero and making sure he ends sometime in the evening, european time, tuesday, will always get the best price. always.

16. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually ship off my winger prospects at age 19 or 20. That gives them a year or two with a PM trainer, who will build them up some more and finds them vaulable, since you've done a lot of the heavy lifting on the winger training.

All things being equal, though, keep him. Best players pull in the fans and win games.

17. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Did a little searching around and then decided to list at 1.4, just a few hours before his home country (france) matches are on saturday. im doubting ill get 1.4 now though.

18. Paul2005

Paul2005 New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    NYC
    I know listing at zero is scary but for dual skilled players it is your best choice. Logic is simple. People search for titanic wingers and set a max price, what ever they want to pay, lets say 800k. your guy shows up on everyones search. List him at 1.4 and he does not show up on anyone's search. Over the 3 days, everyone who sees him also sees his solid secondary, bookmarks him, or makes a bid, and you have infinitely more interest in that player. He will always sell for a good price. Listing him at what you want means you are relying on one managert to come along, probably in the last two hours, and want a tit/solid and make a bid.

19. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I see your point and you're prob right, he didn't sell at 1.4 and closes tomorrow and still waiting for a bid at 1.3. I guess I just assume everyone searches like I do, without listing a max price. I prefer to look for ideal players, if they're overpriced then eventually the seller will have to come down in price or give up trying to sell. Setting a max price rules out players that might be ideal for you, and maybe only one extra listing from a price you're happy with.

20. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not an issue with the decline in prices, because the prices of the players you want to purchase have declined in lockstep with the prices of the players you want to sell.

The issue with the decline in prices is that it's getting less and less feasible to use trainee sales to supplement your revenues to support a higher wage budget.

21. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Still can't understand why they can't adjust the wages based on the supply of talent. It would only have to happen once year. It'd be interesting to see a report that tracked the supply of players by skill over time. I'd expect that line to be going the exact opposite (inverted?) of transfer prices.

22. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    On the fence with this guy too:
    I probably should sell him, but with my other starting winger on the way out I don't have a good replacement at this point.

23. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem, I think, is that the wages are designed into the skill system to incentivize particular development tracks, i.e. players not much higher than titanic to e.t. under normal circumstances, and multiple skills. It's tricky to get the whole thing right because a realistic talent distribution (something of a pyramid, I'd think) doesn't really suit the design of the game. The wages are more reflective of a pyramid, but the transfer values are more reflective of the actual distribution of player skill.

24. GROVESHSCOACH

GROVESHSCOACH New Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Detroit, Michigan

I agree and I will ad this:

Not only do we need to plan long term with trainees and such but now short term as well, especially with players you are training in the higher divisions. I will most likely promote in DIv IV and I went back and forth this season between 250k in salary and 150k in salary. I will end up at 175k in salary. You need players in the titanic and a little higher range to compete in DIV, but they are so expensive