Selected posts from Antonio Valencia's early days in Europe

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by Emelectric15, Apr 23, 2005.

1. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'll add here to re-open discussion.

Antonio Valencia has just announced his retirement.

What a career - what a legacy and roadmap that he leaves for us to admire and for other young footballers in Ecuador to follow.

He's had some ups and downs, as all players do, and despite some recent NT tension, his collective body of work at the club level and national team level, is undeniable. Just the fact that he captained Manchester United speaks volumes of his work ethic and commitment to the craft. Man, he's in a league of his own among our players.

Wishing Toño much success, health and happiness in this new phase of his life. I, for one, am overjoyed to look back on his old highlights and history...he is among our best and his name should always be considered among the Ecuadorian GOATs.

Happy retirement!!!!!!!

2. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He put Ecuador on the map. it was a point of pride having him play for Manchester United. I remember this sub back then. I was more of a lurker at that time. A lot of us would religiously keep tabs on him and Manchester United games. He sparked debate amongst us. Argentine Futbol swore he wouldn't hack it in England and would end up playing in Mexico or something like that. When he made the move to England there weren't that many Ecuadorian footballers playing abroad. There were only a select few. I don't know but maybe in some small way he paved the road for a lot of Ecuadorian players.

He had his faults as a player. No one is perfect. Physically he had his attributes but he was never the most technically gifted player. There's been players that have possessed superior technique. He had something that a lot of Ecuadorian players lack though - work ethic. That's something no one can take away from him. Once fans are allowed back in stadiums I hope the FEF arranges for a proper send off. I wish him well and hope he enjoys his retirement.

3. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I was really surprised he announced his retirement we all used to joke around saying he will be starting for the NT till he 40 Lmao. I know his performance dropped drastically this past month In MX but I thought he was gonna shake it off. It kind of saddens me to see that 1) Man U never arranged the game for him vs LDU. 2) Something I really wanted to see was him take LDU to a Copa Libertadores Final. 3) For him to come back to LDU of course but I also wanted him to go play In El Nacho for his retirement as well.

I really hope Man U gives him a farewell match even if it not vs LDU and that the NT does the same. Cant thank him enough for the hard work he put to represent our country the way he did in Europe we are saying farewell to a legend guys. Happy Retirement Toño !!!

4. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Even though he out of form and retired his pace and talent is still in tact. Glad he got that farewell match. I'm not sure if his knee issues have improved but man seeing him play again make me want to see him come back professionally. A return to El Nacional leading them back to Seria A would be epic.