News: Seleção General Discussion 2023 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 20, 2023.

1. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Martinelli can be a very good pick

2. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    What of Mattheus Cunha?

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He was mentioned during March as an injured player who would otherwise have been in consideration for the call up.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...is-visando-convocacao-para-copa-america.ghtml

Details on the staff's visit to Europe. This time they will be covering Italy as well (as I speculated when the last call up came out without some names).

The article indicates only 23 players will be called up for the friendlies. In total, the team will be together for 3 weeks before the first match of Copa America.

UEFA is expanding the Euro rosters to 26. I haven't seen any indication CONMEBOL will do the same, but I think it would be a positive.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most players that were injured long term, or just not available in March, are back in action.

Even Caio Henrique, who hasn't played yet, has been available off the bench in the last couple of Monaco matches.

But it looks like Ederson is injured again and might be out for the remainder of the season for Man City, pending confirmation. He left today's match with his arm in a sling.

Obviously Militão and Alisson will be part of the convocação. Wouldn't be surprised to see Vanderson as a new name that wasn't available in March. Besides those, who knows. I hope Caio Henrique gets called, but other positions are much deeper so even players who were specifically mentioned by Dorival might not have a spot.

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Caio Henrique, who I mentioned has been back for a couple of weeks, got subbed in today in the 90th minute. I think that's his first match since injury.

Joelinton is also back from injury and got about 15 minutes as a sub.

Andres Perreira left injured today. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Biggest games of course are the upcoming CL semi final second legs. Real Madrid rested starters today with Vini just getting some late minutes.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Two notes from UOL articles about the upcoming call-up:

Gabriel Jesus and Martinelli are unlikely. Jesus makes sense to me. He's had quite a drop off and used mostly as a sub recently. At first I thought Martinelli should at least have a much better chance, but objectively he's kind of in the same place. Lately he's been a sub and hasn't had the impact he did before.

I still think he would be a good call-up, but it's understandable. Another consideration is if Dorival moves towards 2 up front there might be fewer spots for forwards.

The other article says that the staff met with Rodinei specifically. It doesn't go so far as to say he will be on the list, but does lead you to believe the meeting might be a sign.

Personally I don't think I'd pick him ahead of Vanderson or Yan Couto, and I'd still want Danilo as my starter for now. Though who knows. Maybe he'll give Danilo a break and be more experimental.

We'll find out tomorrow.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I haven't had the bandwidth to keep a close eye on this call up, and it's at least a week earlier than I expected. But I still have a few notes or thoughts to share before tomorrow:
    • I'll be very surprised if GK is anyone besides Alisson, Ederson, Bento
    • I do think Vanderson deserves a recall at right-back. If the squad has 26 names, I'd like one to be an extra left or right-back
    • Arana is playing really well under Milito. If Dorival wants that kind of left-back I expect him to be called up, but I also want to see Caio Henrique and Carlos Augusto. None of those 3 were there last time. Very curious to see who he picks.
    • Everyone is available for central defense right now. We could see the "expected" top 4 of Militão, Marquinhos, Gabriel, Bremer... but Fabricio Bruno did well last time and Beraldo did ok. And there are tons of other options... Murillo and Murilo included. Can't really go wrong here, but what direction will he go in.
    • I don't expect many changes to midfield. André is injured right now and I don't expect Pablo Maia, so maybe there's an opening for a new call-up like Ederson (Atalanta) or a return for Joelinton if he's in Dorival's plans
    • And up front I don't see much space for new options. Granted he mentioned Matheus Cunha and João Pedro last time, so maybe one of those sneaks in as a backup to the false nine or Rodrygo spot centralized. I can see a surprise like Savio or Paulinho making it but not both.
    So, TLDR, I think GK, midfield and forwards will remain mostly the same, defense will depend on what direction he wants to go as everyone is available and as always lately full-back is anyone's guess.

Some pundits and fans have called for Estevao but I don't see that happening for Copa America. Maybe if he had two separate call-ups for the friendlies and the tournament, but even then it would be premature.

Who knows. Maybe they've decided CA will be much more experimental. Then all bets are off. But I think the expectation is for something close to his best 23 (or 26) so that's what I based these on.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    celito repped this.
  11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When Dorival came in, many were hoping he would call more Brazil based players. That didn't last long. Only 3 in this call up. And endrick will be essentially in europe.

MerlinRM and Ombak repped this.
  13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And if Bento is sold early in the transfer window he'll go straight from Copa America to Europe. (Inter reportedly likely to make a move for him).

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess Casemiro is an obvious big omission from the list. He has apparently been bad at ManU, but I thought he'd still be called up.