News: Seleção General Discussion 2023 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dorival and his staff return to Brazil tomorrow.

Paquetá should be back in action tomorrow, his first match since his injury.

Danilo and Vanderson were out injured this weekend, but could be back next weekend. They are definitely expected back before the international break. Unclear if this will affect a chance at a call-up.

There has been plenty of speculation about Andreas Pereira getting a surprise call-up because Dorival was at Fulham, but I'm pretty sure he visited most teams in London with Brazilian players. And I don't think there's any name that you can safely guess based on Dorival's interviews except maybe Paquetá. Of course, Vini and others are probably guarantees, but that's based on other things. The interviews don't really offer too many clues about specific names.

Convocação is Friday morning. The press conference will probably also dedicate some time to introducing Rodrigo Caetano and Juan and maybe address their roles and ideas.

I'm not really going to guess at a list of 23, but I will summarize some of my expectations, some which I went over before and some I didn't:
    • I don't expect Dorival to call up more players in Brazil than Diniz did. Partly because it's March (estaduais) and partly because his words in the press conference sounded like more like a statement of support than a statement of intent.
    • I honestly have no idea who his full-backs will be. Injuries (Caio Henrique, Arthur, possibly Danilo and Vanderson) added to the uncertainty and recent performances (Yan Couto) make this more of a mystery than ever before.
    • I do think Beraldo and João Gomes are very likely new names (technically João Gomes has been called once before, but never played) because of their history with Dorival. Though I would consider JG a safer bet than Beraldo since we have so many options at CB.
    • I expect that we'll see more midfielders, suggesting a line-up with 2 forwards instead of 3. I admit this is partially just wishful thinking from me, but I think it also lines up with how Dorival works. It would be a stronger call-up (in my opinion) to have 7 or 8 mids and only 4 or 5 forwards and would allow him to set up a stronger team, and the one thing he did make clear in interviews is that the players come first and then the system.

brasileiragem repped this.
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paquetá started and got 76 minutes in today, a good sign.

Sávio scored two goals today for Girona, making him one of the best BR performances this weekend.

I do think Sávio has a chance, if Dorival calls up 4 wingers/wide forwards. If he calls fewer forwards I don't think he'll be on the list.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil's friendly vs. the USA is confirmed:

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...ar-os-estados-unidos-no-dia-12-de-junho.ghtml

June 12 in Orlando. The other friendly is June 8 vs. Mexico.

Brazil's first match in Copa America is June 24 in Los Angeles.
    It's not clear yet whether we will have a separate call-up for the friendlies and then for Copa América.

This pretty much wraps up the schedule for this year:

March 23 vs. England, March 26 vs. Spain
    June 8 vs. Mexico, June 12 vs. USA
    June 24 to July 14 Copa America (vs. Costa Rica or Honduras, vs. Paraguay, vs. Colombia, potential QF, Semi and Final)
    World Cup Qualifiers:
    September 5 or 6 vs. Ecuador, September 10 at Paraguay
    October 10 or 11 at Chile, October 15 vs. Peru
    November 14 or 15 at Venezuela, November 19 vs. Uruguay

That's a solid year of matches under the current calendar. 6 qualifiers at the end of the year, 3 to 6 other competitive matches and 4 solid friendlies, including 2 top 5 European opponents.

Imagine how productive this could be if we had planned ahead and used 2023 to build a squad?

Hopefully Dorival makes the most of it.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #604 Ombak, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    Dorival will call up 26 players on Friday:

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...ra-convocar-26-jogadores-para-amistosos.ghtml

After reaching an agreement with Spain to make 26 players available for the match (still waiting for England's response), they've confirmed they will call up 26 players in order to observe a few more names in person:
    Well, I keep saying we need to call up more players in order to really help the coaching staff evaluate their options. And it's finally happening. Will be interesting to see what positions see extra players. Obviously full-back is a problem area, but who knows, it could just be extra mids and forwards, in order to offer flexibility in those areas.

Either way, I think it's a good decision. As anyone who reads my post here knows, I would be in favor of calling even a few more! On another note, in the article, he indicates that players in Europe are better positioned for a call right now, because the Estaduais are just the very beginning of the season.

Convocação will be Friday at 1pm local time (11am Eastern US).

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #605 Ombak, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Another interview with Dorival Jr. About 16 minutes with UOL Esporte:

Talks about how they did the observations, prior to the trip to Europe and including the trip to Europe. Talked about the "pré-lista" and that it changes often, due to injuries among other things, but didn't really offer any hints about who might be on that list or the final list.

Then he talks about meeting players in general and meeting the coaches of the clubs he visited.

At 11:45 he talks about the upcoming first convocação. However it's also general, talking about how much he is looking forward to it and then makes general statements about the work that's coming up.

The last portion starts at 14:45 and he talks expectations and reminds people that no convocação will satisfy everyone. He mentioned the beginning of the season in Brazil vs. mid-season in Europe, as the interview above did (it may be the same quote or just that both talked about the same issues).

He says he is not turning his back on Brazilian players just cause it's the beginning of the season, and also that just because a name doesn't appear on this list doesn't mean it won't appear later in the year in Copa América or other matches. He points out that 4 possible names were discarded during the trip last week due to injuries (this probably refers to Alisson, João Pedro and Matheus Cunha, who he mentioned explicitly in the TNT interview).

So, if anything, he's sounding like he is NOT going to call up a lot of players in Brazil right now.

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Live coverage with commentary:

You can also watch on CBF TV without commentary.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #608 Ombak, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    A primeira convocação de Dorival Jr.:

Goleiros:
    Bento, Éderson, Rafael
    Laterais:
    Danilo, Yan Couto
    Ayrton Lucas, Wendell
    Zagueiros:
    Beraldo, Gabriel, Marquinhos, Murilo (Palmeiras)
    Meias:
    André, Andreas Pereira, Bruno Guimarães, Casemiro, Douglas Luiz, João Gomes, Paquetá, Pablo Maia
    Atacantes:
    Endrick, Gabriel Martinelli, Raphinha, Richarlison, Rodrygo, Savinho, Vini Jr.

A few notes: earlier this morning Tottenham stated Richarlison is out for 3 to 4 weeks, so he will be cut from the list if confirmed. But the very first question in the press conference addressed that, and the Brazil doctors haven't confirmed it yet, they think he'll be fine for the international matches.

7 players from Brazil (Bento, Rafael, Ayrton Lucas, Murilo, André, Pablo Maia, Endrick)

celito repped this.
  9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CBF's official convocação

ConvocacaoMarco2024.JPG

10. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Great to see Gabriel Magalhães, Paquetá and Douglas Luiz on the list. However, I don't really get why choosing Murilo, Ayrton Lucas/Wendell over Bremer and Carlos Augusto.

MerlinRM and Ombak repped this.
  11. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Also, why not bringing a 5th lateral instead of bringing Pablo Maia who will go there for tourism purposes only?

Ombak repped this.
  12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The more I think about it, the more I think Bremer and Carlos Augusto are just victims of the decision to focus on Spain and England for their first visit to Europe before the convocação.

The only player called up from Italy is Danilo, who is the veteran and leader here (along with Casemiro). From France, Marquinhos and Beraldo are both from PSG and the other candidates from France are injured (Caio Henrique long-term and Vanderson during the last few weeks), so there was no need to spend time there. Wendell is the big surprise if I'm right about how they did this, but he might have made the right impression against Arsenal.

I agree with you 100% that one of the extra spots should have been used for full-backs.

If I'm right about that, then in June we'll see a more complete call-up once observations have expanded and Dorival has had proper time in his role.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Dorival made a bold statement during the announcement of his first national team call-up.

"We will have results which may surprise. Believe, trust the work. We have prepared ourselves much so that one day this happens. Have no doubts that we will be present at the final of a World Cup, our work is focused on this. I trust this very much. I don't think long-term because I learned thusly in Brazil and you taught me in this way. I was formed and forged within competitions one must win, otherwise your path will be complicated. For me. the tournament is this one. We will be, soon, in a World Cup final and I have programmed myself for this moment and you can be certain we will reach with work, dedication, commitment and a change of behavior in all of us. If this does not happen, it will naturally become more difficult, but you can be sure there will not be a lack of work and dedication to find our path again and the respect of all of us in relation to this uniform."

Bold words, and I can sense he is very sincere. If we laypersons are diehard fans of Brazil, a former professional player who has won national and international titles with major teams in Brazil as a manager has an understanding of the national team's obligations as a competitive team far beyond what we can ever have. But I also view this as risky, because the World Cup is exceedingly difficult to win, as so very many variables come into play and countless possibilities can derail a team's path to the final match.

I'm glad that we will face Spain and England, given how exceedingly challenging it is to schedule matches against top UEFA teams. It's entirely feasible Brazil will lose both matches, which would be unfortunate and which would add all the pressure which Diniz carried on his shoulders onto Dorival.

He is also showing he is bowing to the "imediatista" mentality of Brazilian soccer. I admit I don't escape that wholly, and that's because I came of age as an adult fan of Brazil during the time that we witnessed 1994 through 2002; then, we had all those non-World Cup title wins after 2002. Thus, while it'd be excellent if Dorival led Brazil to the 2024 Copa América title, for example, Brazilians are not going to be satisfied without the Hexa. So let's say Dorival does win the intercontinental tournament to be held in North America in a few months' time but ends up as runner-up in 2026. Will the "imediatista" mentality brand him a failure?

If Brazil under Dorival becomes a resurgent team and finishes WCQ strong, with a respectable W-L record, and does well in the 2026 World Cup (let's say, a final four finish but not as the champion, and defeated on PKs or by a 1-goal margin in an extremely hard-fought match against a top contender), we will ultimately be disappointed, as we always are when Brazil does not win the World Cup. But will that have been a waste? Will Dorival's work, assuming he leaves the job post-2026, leave no legacy with which his successor could work to then make the team even better to the extent Brazil does win in 2030? Sure, a 28-year wait for the World Cup is a terrible thought for us Brazilian fans. But given the circumstances of our time, would a strong finish in 2026, followed by the Hexa in 2030, be that horrible?

Hopefully, the performances and the results against Spain and England will be such that we Brazil fans will be able to watch a competitive and sufficiently renovated team when the 2024 Copa América starts. If this occurs, and assuming of course Brazil plays well at this tournament (even if another team wins the title), Brazil will be well-positioned to regain lost ground in WCQ.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First of all ... puta enrolation in the beginning. Brazilian fans don't appreciate the NT , blah blah blah ... I hate that talk.

Some not so great names IMO. Yan Couto the first one. Murilo is going through a bad patch with Palmeiras. Haven't kept up with Adreas Pereira. Casemiro is playing badly ... but I get his call up. Raphinha ... :sick:

Hope some of them prove me wrong ... that's if they get playing time.

MerlinRM repped this.
  15. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At first glance I thought the call is pretty decent for the most part. Then I really took a look at the names.

Imo Gabriel M hasn't done anything to show he deserves to be called up over Bremer at Juve.

I wish we could see Carlos Augusto. Probably the only missing player who could be a starter.

Also wish we could end Marquinhos time on the NT. A weak character and no leadership skills imo.

I don't mind Beraldo but i haven't watched PSG enough to have an opinion.

Eder Militao looks to be coming back in April so at least we'll have him this summer.

Yan Couto got humiliated on this big stage but again a young player I don't mind having in the squad.

No comment on Murilo.

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    With this call-up, I think it's still very much up in the air whether we'll see a wide formation like a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, or more narrow up front with Rodrygo or Paquetá behind them in a 4-3-1-2.

Even if Richarlison is available (according to Rodrigo Lasmar he will be), chances are we'll still have changes due to injury. Players report (in London) on Monday, March 18, so that's 3 more weekends of matches for most and some mid-week matches to get through before then.

17. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For me, the problem for Brazil is found in a declining Casemiro. Besides D Luiz, there is a lack of quality replacements. I had some hope for Danilo, ex-Palmeiras, now of Nottingham Forrest, but he seems to have hit a wall mainly due to injuries.

MerlinRM repped this.
  18. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Great game from Vini Jr for Madrid today.

19. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    My prediction is that Dorival will play it safe and go with a 4-2-3-1 with the following players:
    Ederson
    Danilo
    Marquinhos
    Gabriel
    Ayrton Lucas
    Casemiro
    Bruno Guimarães
    Vini Jr
    Paquetá
    Rodrygo
    Richarlison

Then on the 70', we will be losing to England (2-0) and he will do the following subs:
    Danilo -> Yan Couto
    Casemiro -> Douglas Luiz
    Vini Jr/Rodrygo -> Martinelli
    Richarlison -> Endrick

Final score: England 3-1 Brazil

Ombak repped this.
  20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think that's very likely.

I wonder if we'll see, either against England or alter against Spain, a 4-man midfield with Casemiro, DL and BG, behind Paquetá and just how much some people might freak out about that being too conservative.

But the truth is that the way midfielders play right now, BG and DL would be creative forces (BG especially) and Paquetá would be more about composing the midfield and providing and intelligent link-up option for the attackers.

That could potentially also impact how our full-backs have to defend and position themselves.

Of course, it could also allow for a Rodrygo as ponta-de-lança option, and Paquetá/Pereira can be options for the DL/BG spots as well.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Carlos Augusto has started a couple of matches in a row at Inter as a defender in a 3 man back line (with the starting left-back/ala Di Marco in a midfield 5). Usually Carlos Augusto is in that 5-man midfield, either as a Di Marco sub or a starter in rotation.

I like this. He's already one of the more defensive options, I hope this makes him better in a four-man back line too.

I hope I'm right that Serie A was intentionally overlooked this time. With Caio Henrique and Militão back from injury in June, if we also have Bremer and Carlos Augusto it means we only really have questions at right-back. We could afford to drop Marquinhos if it comes to that and still have 3 potential starters in Gabriel, Bremer and Militão, with space for a fourth option. I'd be happy with Caio Henrique and Carlos Augusto as our left-back options, as long as we have some back-ups (like Arana and Wendell if he does ok), and focus on calling-up an extra right-back sometimes to sort that space out.

Martinelli scored today in a 6x0 win for Arsenal. Came off injured, but I don't think it was serious.

Richarlison has confirmed he should be able to play next weekend, so he'd get a game or two before the international.

One guy who might be out injured is Wendell. Looks like he has an ankle sprain after yesterday's match. Hopefully it's not too bad and he'll make it in time. If not, I hope Carlos Augusto does get another look now, though it wouldn't surprise me if it's Arana instead, based on the lack of Serie A options in this call-up.

22. manimal

manimal Red Card

Dec 23, 2018
    Still no Samuel Lino baffles me

AGomes repped this.
  23. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm sorry but Serie A should never be overlooked when scouting for NT players in Europe. Really weak excuse if thats why Dorival didn't pick Bremer and Carlos Agusto.

I don't have faith in Dorival to make better choices for Copa.

Also, the Brazil based players chosen besides Endrick & Bento all suck and have no business being on the squad. Rafael selection is sheer favoritism. I don't see why Lucas Perri who is now in Europe couldn't get the call or even Weverton.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    TNT interviewed Rodrigo Caetano.

His official title is "Coordenador Geral Executivo de Seleções Nacionais Masculinas". Also, CBF officially announced Cícero de Souza today, he's joining the executive team as gerente geral técnico de seleções masculinas.

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/times/...-palmeiras-para-ser-gerente-de-selecoes.ghtml

Among the topics/questions asked were the lack of a break for Copa América, the relationship between national team and fans, youth teams, and Neymar, among others.

25. manimal

manimal Red Card

Dec 23, 2018
    I hope that mbappes arrival at real will not hinder endricks development