News: Seleção General Discussion 2023 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There is some news about Neymar cussing out CBF President after Neymar got hit with a bag of popcorn as he was leaving the field at the end of the game vs Venezuela. This news seems a bit out there. Not sure if it's legit.

3. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Also some news about Neymar, Vini, and Richarlison having a private party at a condominium after the draw with a bunch of women. Also a week after Neymar's girlfriend gave birth.

PJ234 repped this.
  4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vinnie has that partying gene as most great Brazilian forward have . Rivaldo and Bebeto are a couple I can think off that were not that way . I won’t be surprised if it becomes a talking point down the road when he doesn’t perform . Although I can see he will be afforded some protection from criticism by some because of the racist incidents and his activism .

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am just so tired of Neymar at this point. It's fair for him (and the other players) to complain about Cuiabá if they are disappointed with scheduling the match there, but whatever he said beyond that to the CBF President has apparently been successfully kept under wraps.

CBF reportedly thought about having a press conference with Ednaldo and Neymar to address it, but that didn't happen. (This is reported by Litoral News, which has a lot of thorough coverage on there youtube channel.)

If even this doesn't hurt Neymar and get him disciplined or even cut (yeah, we all know that isn't going to happen), honestly, I hope he just isn't available in November. Paquetá will be back, work on the midfield interchanges with him and Bruno Guimarães (and maybe André) with the wingers, find the right forward for the system and we'll at least have something different to look forward to beyond the Neymar circle jerk.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was thinking there has to be more to this story. What is it about playing in Cuiabá that is bad ??? Any random fan anywhere could have thrown popcorn on him. Maybe not up north. But definitely from Minas on south.

The report came from Jose Carlos Araujo who people say is pretty respected.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The complaints about Cuiabá were basically about the quality of the field. Some players brought it up before the match, so it isn't just whinging about it after the fact, but I do think the emotional state after giving up a draw plays a part in the supposed argument Neymar had with Ednaldo.

I'm sure that if we had won, even 1x0, things would be fine. Instead though, Neymar has popcorn thrown at him, added to the frustration of a bad match and a bad result, added to the frustration of playing on a field that was not as good as Belém (it was pointed out that while Cuiabá and Belém were similar in that they had not hosted Brazil in a long time, Belém's field was in better condition).

I could easily believe that an entitled person like Neymar would, in the heat of the moment, criticize Ednaldo for taking the match to a place that the players perceived as not being up to par - even if most of those problems could happen somewhere else.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Was going through the thread today to update my new call-up sheet for Diniz and had to give you props for this now that Carlos Augusto not only got the call-up but is also likely to start.

brasileiragem and AGomes repped this.
  9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Thank You, Sir.

My other team is Italia and I know he was on their radar if the Brasil call didn't come. I saw video of him this week and I don't think they could have wiped the smile off his face. It's clear from his Instagram page the Brazil call was a true dream and not just to use a slogan.

brasileiragem and Ombak repped this.
  10. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Quality of the field as well as the heat in Cuiaba that week. Apparently players were complaining about the heat as well. Its was going up to 40c/104f everyday.

I personally think its time to stick to games in Sao Paulo and/or Rio. We're the only country thats doing this city hopping and I don't that we should be doing that during qualifiers.

celito repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I did notice the ball was bobbling up a bit, but that's an overreaction. I know the game is different nowadays, but this was a bad field ... :ROFLMAO: (to be fair the condition of that field was a topic before the game)

Ombak and AGomes repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh yeah .. I forgot Cuiabá can be hot as fuk. I wouldn't play there either. But politics won't let that happen. The CBF President must repay the state federation Presidents for their votes. I think the heat and field condition make Neymar's reaction more understandable.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This entire novela with Neymar, who was apparently overweight and who is no longer the boy wonder who wowed South America with an amazing, marathon-like goal for Santos over Internacional back in the 2012 Libertadores, is another headache for a relatively inexperienced manager who is already under pressure.

Regardless of Carlo Ancelotti or whoever it is taking over the job in 2024, Diniz needs to produce. And it's more than just ending 2023 with Brazil as close to the top of CONMEBOL's WCQ league table as possible; it's a sequence of matches that may define the next steps of his career.

In addition to tonight's game at Uruguay, the November match at Colombia, and the final game for Brazil in the year (Argentina in Rio), Diniz will also be leading Fluminense in the Libertadores final on November 4.

If he at the very least does not lose tonight, wins the Libertadores, and gets two wins or one win and one draw in November, he'll have built up his resume. But let's say that tonight is no more than a draw, Fluminense loses, Brazil loses at Colombia, and at the most, he gets a draw at home vs. Argentina (or worst case scenario: he loses all four matches, with two of them being against the two flagship symbols of Brazil's biggest rival: Boca Juniors and the Argentine national team at Maracanã).

Of course, with four matches, there are many possible combinations of results - he may win tonight and against Colombia, win the Libertadores, but then be forever marcado as the manager who oversaw Brazil's first WCQ defeat on home ground. Or he loses the Libertadores but "redeems" himself by soundly defeating Argentina.

And would an adverse combination of factors be beyond redemption? No. He's still a relatively young manager; it will be quite different from 2014, when Scolari was permanently branded with the defeat to Germany (despite his accolades as a winning manager at both club and country level).

But if we fans can see this, Diniz can see it from an angle we can't - and on top of the challenge of making the team function, dealing with this Neymar drama doesn't help. And if politics (choices of venue) are involved, politics are also involved here because Diniz may want to bench Neymar for the team's sake, but if he does and if the team doesn't work, then he will be bashed for it.

Like Ombak, I've reached a point of fatigue. Let's just hope Diniz succeeds in Montevideo where he did not succeed in Cuiabá.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Update on Paquetá's case:

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...cumentos-e-adia-solucao-do-caso-paqueta.ghtml

The FA added new documents to evidence, which automatically extends the deadline for the case to move forward or be archived. No word in the article on how long that is. The article also doesn't say what the new documents are but it does say "não há provas anexadas que não sejam de conhecimento de todos", in other words, there was no new document. It seems the FA simply decided to add some existing info to the official case record and as a result the deadline is automatically extended.

The call-up for November would theoretically be on October 26/27 or November 2/3 (two or three weeks before the Colombia match). That means that if the deadline is extended by one month (as it was last time), there would be no resolution at the time of the call-up. Considering the state of the case though (no new evidence, expected to close), I think CBF might go ahead and consider calling him anyways, but we'll have to wait and see.

15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Moving on...

As I said above, the next convocação will probably happen next week (3 weeks ahead of the Colombia match), around when the longer list of names has to be sent to FIFA, or in the first week of November (2 weeks before the match).

In addition to players back from injury (Martinelli, Raphinha, multiple full-backs) I think the Neymar injury will force CBF's hand and make them call Paquetá, even if they are unsure whether they should wait or not.

Good news is we can soon complain about the convocação, not the last result!

16. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I mean I knew the game was going to be tough but this was a terrible display.

17. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Well… these kind of results were expected, no? No Tite, no fun

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Crise da seleção exige diagnóstico certeiro, sem profetas do apocalipse

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/colu...sa-fazer-diagnostico-preciso-de-sua-crise.htm

Everyone who reads my posts knows I'm predisposed to this kind of "let's step back and look at this when we calm down" kind of approach. Still, I think it's a good short read. It doesn't exactly propose solutions, but briefly deals with the problems (no overarching plan, lack of talent in certain areas). At any rate, it also represents my current opinion.

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    MerlinRM and Ombak repped this.
  21. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Along with Rodrygo & Raphinha. Richarlison and Antony and Bruno G. And Vitor Roque and Endrick. There are others I probably haven't named.

The Neymar era in the selecao is over. I'm not going to lie I was an advocate of moving on from Neymar once we lost the WC but it definitely hurts me that this is how it happens.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For the next window, the following players are "pendurados" with one yellow card. If they get one against Colombia, they would be suspended for the Argentina match.

Neymar
    Raphinha
    Bruno Guimarães
    Richarlison
    André
    Rodrygo
    Casemiro
    Éderson
    Gabriel Jesus
    Matheus Cunha

Obviously Neymar is out, and not all of those players will start, but that's a lot of potential absences. I wonder if it will affect the number of players called up. (During Tite's tenure, there were some times when he called an extra player or due because someone might be suspended for one of the matches.)

Also, considering the Libertadores is on November 4 it seems likely the convocação will be next week, to avoid interfering with Fluminense's preparation for the match.

So, get ready for a convocação on Thursday or Friday next week!

MerlinRM repped this.
  23. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The bolded shouldn't even be called up and/or start to be honest.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  25. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+