Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If anyone wants to share their current 23:
    https://interativos.globoesporte.gl...ra-monte-sua-lista-de-23-para-a-copa-de-2022/

I really feel like left-back is the big question mark today. Other than that I felt pretty sure about the other spots.

Random rant... was watching shows this morning and one show does a prediction of which 7 forwards Tite will call, under the assumption that a typical call-up has 7 forwards. But call-ups typically have 6 forwards (out of 23 players). So you just end up with another list that still needs trimming.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Probably the 1st option if he doesn't want to play with 3 forwards plus Neymar. Shades of quadrado mágico but with players who can hustle. Although Neymar would be free to do whatever. Vin Jr. would need to work extra on defense. Paquetá could also be subbed by Fred or even Fabinho to make the team more defensive.

3. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    This would be my personal choice for the starting XI:

lineup (1).png

But I think Tite will go with this team:

lineup.png

Attached Files:

4. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Next 2 rounds of the Premier League:

Matchday 24:
    9 Feb: Newcastle vs Everton
    10 Feb: Aston Villa vs Leeds

Matchday 25:
    12 Feb: Everton vs Leeds
    13 Feb: Newcastle vs Aston Villa

Any doubts that Tite will be watching those games?

Ombak repped this.
  5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Those are definitely high-priority games for a "radar da seleção" look. Besides the names from the last call-up, Douglas Luiz has a chance, and Allan is a backup option.

Here are some important dates and notes ahead of the March matches.
    • Convocação will be on Thursday, March 10 if it follows the same pattern as this past one
    • No suspensions usually means a normal 23-man call-up, but there are lots of pendurados, including Fred and Casemiro and almost every forward, so hopefully we see at least 25 names
    • With the State championships in full swing and the Russian and Ukrainian leagues resuming in February, names like Arana and Claudinho could pop up again
    I think there are two number 9s to watch for this window:
    Fiorentina - I'm not as excited about Arthur as some, but if he can shine in Serie A he might get another call-up. He played his first match today and has 5 more possible starts before the call-up.
    Everton - Richarlison is my bet to be our starting number 9 in March. He scored in the FA Cup today and has 5 league matches before the call-up, including the 2 brasileiragem listed.

Monaco (5 matches), Tottenham (6 matches), Atletico de Madrid (7 matches, including Barcelona tomorrow and Champions League on Feb 23) - Our left-backs and right-backs on the outside looking, as well as Matheus Cunha.

Palmeiras, Flamengo, Atlético Mineiro - I hope Arana will be in, but there are some others on the radar. Could this be their chance? Reportedly the coaching staff wanted to give Pedro a shot, but he needs to play. Raphael Veiga has the Mundial in addition to the paulista, but will that be enough or do these players need the Brasileirão to make a strong enough case, which means waiting until June?

Time flies, but before the call-up in 5 weeks I may try to add info on pendurados/suspensions to the spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nnGqvRxCvoFnpsXQ_kZE8--TzjuZXho516M6M5Hf3pw/edit?usp=sharing

brasileiragem repped this.
  6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We have 13 pendurados right now, 1 keeper, 2 defenders, 3 mids and 7 forwards!

Amazingly Thiago Silva got a yellow card in the first match of qualifying and has not gotten another one since then.

Pendurados:
    Alisson, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Fred, Bruno Guimarães, Gérson
    Neymar, Vini Jr., Raphinha, Antony, Richarlison, Gabriel Jesus, Gabriel Barbosa

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looks like Fred and Alex Telles tested positive for COVID and will isolate and miss one or two Man Utd matches.

In other news, a good interview with Jardine, who just joined a team in Mexico, talking about his new job and his experience with the national team in the January window:

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...etico-san-luis-athletico-botafogo-bahia.ghtml

"Não pensem que o Tite está satisfeito. ... a gente sempre está querendo melhor nosso time melhor do que da última vez, sempre procurando pontos que tem que melhorar. E vejo a comissão do Tite trabalhando incansavelmente para jogar o Brasil para esse altíssimo nível."

8. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
  9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    With a full slate of games this weekend and Champions League mid-week, with the call-up now less than 4 weeks away, I was ready to share a summary of Tite's tactics. But I was beaten to it by... Casemiro.

Two decent articles for reading material popped up on ge.com today.

The first, about Antony, who has matches last season's stats already this season.

The second, an interview with Casemiro for their podcast 6a estrela. I haven't listened to it yet but here are some quotes from the article itself:

I will make the tactics post I planned on shortly, but suffice it to say it's basically a long version of Casemiro's first quote above, pointing out that we have many more options today than before.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Coutinho definitely has more space in the PL, and in this game he was moving well and displaying some great vision.

I do think Raphael Veiga, Claudinho and Renato Augusto all have a chance to be in convocações at least once this year, but it's hard to imagine any space for them on the final list of 23 right now. I saw one pundit channel point out that Euro 2020 increased the roster size to 26 and speculate that FIFA could increase the roster size for WC 2022. If that were to happen I think you could probably pencil Renato Augusto in.

So when trying to focus on what Tite still needs to do and who he might pick, I went back to the articles about build-up play and tactics employed last year by Tite and even the Olympic team.

To anyone interested, here is the recommended reading (all in Portuguese):

Post Copa América analysis - pointing out the options available while acknowledging the overreliance on Neymar.

Olympics pre semi-final analysis about midfield recovery and distribution.
    This one is particularly relevant to Arana and Dani Alves' involvement in play.

Tite's priorities in September qualifiers - improving build-up and chances.
    This is when he first called up Raphinha and added Olympic names to the squad.

How Éverton Ribeiro improved our creative play.
    I don't think Éverton Ribeiro will be in the final 23 at this point, but this article is helpful in imagining what other offensive midfielders have to do to have a chance.

Transition into defense and why Gérson didn't work.
    I've been convinced Gérson isn't going to make it to the final 23 ever since I read this in October.

Also in October - a look at the win over Uruguay and how our full-backs played.
    Raphinha, Fred and Neymar all had a solid game and despite Émerson's recent screw-up, this was a big positive for him.

A focus on Brazil's counter-press (perde-pressiona) in the win against Colombia. This game was tight, but is a great example of how in control Tite was after making half-time adjustments. Yes, we only won 1x0, but an even first half turned into a dominant second half where we were rarely threatened.

Looking back on all of that, I am a little surprised we haven't seen more options behind Fred. I hope Bruno Guimarães' next call-up is in that spot and of course Paquetá has been used there, but so far those players have been called up for other roles only to be slotted in the second midfield role ahead of the players specifically called for that position. It seems the one position where his call-ups are not evolving yet.

Meanwhile, up front, although we still want a clear number 9, it's really encouraging that almost every forward called up has seen meaningful playing time since Copa América. Any realistic call-up of 6 forwards I can imagine would have 6 players who can contribute and potentially start in the World Cup. No Taison's in that group.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I listened to the whole Casemiro interview and I decided to post again to encourage everyone else to listen. It's a very open conversation. He talks about how Tite and the coaching staff send all players material to work with ahead of joining the national team, material that is specific to each position and to the upcoming matches.

It is 1hr3mins long, but here is the link once again for anyone interested in listening:

https://ge.globo.com/blogs/blog-do-...temos-mais-jogadores-e-sistemas-taticos.ghtml

celito and brasileiragem repped this.
  12. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Brilliant interview and brilliant podcast. Casemiro é um MONSTRO!!!!! My favourite player of our current squad.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    • Not a very exciting weekend for "radar da seleção". Bruno Guimarães hasn't started for Newcastle yet. Fred was out due to his positive COVID test. Coutinho had an ok game but Aston Villa lost today.
    • Danilo has been getting minutes though. Today he not only started but scored a late equalizer. Arthur continues to get minutes at Juventus between starts and sub appearances. He's still on my list of mids that could get a look depending on what Tite needs to see.
    • Matheus Cunha was solid in a start for Atletico Madrid and continues to earn his spot. Richarlison doing ok too. Fiorentina plays tomorrow so Arthur Cabral will probably see some playing time.
    • Meanwhile in Brazil Arana scored and Pedro is seeing some minutes but there's not much to evaluate at this stage of the estaduais.
    • Tuesday CL resumes with the biggest match from a Brazilian perspective. PSG x Real Madrid. Neymar however has only just rejoined training with the team, so he is unlikely to start.

brasileiragem and celito repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Definitely someone that turned his career around after he left Sao Paulo through the back door.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasil x Argentina game to be played again. Both Federations to be fined.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fines-bans-fifa-brazil-argentina-153806965.html

Emiliano Buendía, Emiliano Martínez, Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero will now serve two-match bans in FIFA fixtures after “not complying with the FIFA Return to Football International Match Protocol," the world governing body said.

FIFA ordered the Brazilian Football Association to pay a fine of 550,000 Swiss francs (about $600,000) for “infringements related to order and security”, and over the abandonment.

The Argentinian Football Association was fined 250,000 Swiss francs ($270,000) for failing to “comply with its obligations in relation to order and security, the preparation of and its participation in the match", and the abandonment.

brasileiragem and Ombak repped this.
  16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's about the best outcome from Brazil's perspective - no points penalty and a punishment to the AFA, meaning they share responsibility. CBF and AFA will appeal, but that's normal.

It really seems like an effort on FIFA's part to not piss off one party too much more than the other.

The match at a neutral location is just for show of course, we were already 99% sure there was going to be a Brazil x Argentina whether it was a replay of this match or not.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I like the result, and while I wish CBF didn't have to pay, AFA is paying up as well and rightfully so. I'm also glad that the four players from their team have been suspended for two fixtures.

They violated Brazil's immigration rules. They need to face the consequences.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Seems to me that violating immigration rules should be a an issue to be dealt with by Brazil's legal/immigration system though ... and not FIFA.

Ombak repped this.
  19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They violated Brazilian laws and in the process they violated the FIFA Return to Football International Match Protocol.

They were trying to be esperto and got caught. I actually think 2 matches' suspension is rather lenient, but oh well.

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The one thing that would make this more... entertaining... from that perspective would be if Brazil's players had traveled from England.

One thing that is clear to me is that no one in CBF had a handle on things before the issue was brought up. We also discovered after the match and interviews with Anvisa that Brazilian players would also have been affected.

I think, had they not been held back by the English clubs, this situation would be much more confusing but also weighed against CBF even more.

ganapordiego repped this.
  21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    In any case, this match is likely to be contested. First, scheduling - when? Will it be added to the March fixtures?

Secondly, where?

As well, with both teams already safely qualified for the World Cup, will there be any chance the managers pick either (partially or mostly) experimental sides?

And lastly, the rivalry. While the Argentina-Brazil match which ended 0-0 was not that violent/bloody, there were a few lances which warranted attention by the refereeing. Any chance this match may become a grudge match? Just how much bad blood will there be? Granted, internationals are often teammates, so for example, I don't think Neymar and Messi will go at it. But not always.

I do like the resolution, although I acknowledge that implementing it may present some logistical challenges.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    For the Nth time... your migration authorities are inept and make poorly designed digital forms that allow visitors to skip giving important information.

Of course the visitor is still responsible for it in front of the law, but most likely there wasn't any malice behind it. Probably lack of information beforehand. There's a reason why CBF is being handed the larger fine after all.

24. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Not saying it's impossible but it's very hard for this game to be played in march. Not only because of appeals but also cuz that would mess up the scheduling of the other qualification matches. Keep in mind that Argentina and Brazil have to play Chile and Ecuador who are still very much in the fight, other teams could complain about ARG/BRA being "weakened" or less invested in said games if they have to play an extra match.

It's also not clear if the match will even be played in Brazil. FIFA statement says FIFA themselves will pick not only date but also venue for the match.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    "Madrid, Caracas" much? :rolleyes:

CBF sent AFA updated immigration law notices THREE TIMES.

And even though you unwisely dismissed video footage of Argentines who live in Brazil and who know the system explaining what happened and how there was a legal exception whereby your team could avoided all this nonsense, the facts don't lie.

It's like that man on a tv station in your country who said in very plain language, "la misma argentinada de siempre, si pasaba pasaba, entendés?"

Those four got caught and were deservingly sanctioned.