Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've heard a rumor that Tite is considering either Hulk or Pedro because he really would like to have a strong 9 presence option.

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All the pundits are saying Tite likes Pedro and same are even claiming to have inside info that he wants to call him up.

Lately most of the Hulk talk I've heard agrees that he doesn't fit Tite's plans, but either way, the next call-up is probably 6 weeks from today and will be the last chance.

I don't think Pedro or Hulk would start a single match if they are called up, and I think our other bench options are more impactful in the course of a match.

In my estimation we have 25 spots well-defined already (by need or position, not by name), but the 26th spot is undefined, could be a CF, could be an AM, or a winger.

3. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Would love to see Pedro

4. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Evanilson would also be an option to try out..

5. joudre

joudre Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Maybe pedro

6. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Dani Alves is going to Pumas - MEX. Do you folks still think that Tite will bring him to Qatar? I respect Dani’s history but his time is up. He can blame Barcelona for ********ing up with his last WC opportunity.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If he is playing and not injured, he is going to Qatar. Tite already said so.

8. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    It says more about the right back talent pool that Daniel Alves is still in contention.

9. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pedro or Hulk would be dead weight, I think.
    If Tite is going to do this then take Endrick instead and give the kid some World Cup experience

Ombak repped this.
  10. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hulk and Pedro would be great options in case the match is stuck on zero heading towards the end. These two can alter the destiny in one single move. And since Futebol e momento, I see a good possibility.

11. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Neymar as a false 9, Richarlison, Jesus, Matheus Cunha are all ahead of Pedro/Hulk in Tite’s mind.

Ombak repped this.
  12. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is not true, especially when it comes to Pedro, at least for a trial basis. But of course 2 that you named have all had vast experience with the selecao and are up on the radar.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Endrick might not even make it to 2026, depending on his development. He'll be 20 then (actually, 19 at the start of the 2026 World Cup). Of course we all hope he tears it up from his very first professional match, but he could be a 2030 prospect more than 2026.

I agree with you about Hulk and Pedro.
    Exactly as celito said. I do hope Émerson improves under Conte though and gets a call-up in September just in case Dani Alves (or worse, Danilo) is injured.
    I really don't see that with either of them. Hulk needs wide open space to run with the ball and create opportunities. He won't get that off the bench if we are tied or behind.

Pedro has scored in bunches against bad teams so far, and always as a starter. As a sub he is usually very ineffective and I agree with those who think he is a bit too slow for the highest level and intensity.

Richarlison, Jesus and Matheus Cunha off the bench can all provide a lot more pressure to change a game. I know Matheus Cunha gets a lot of hate from pundits in Brazil for being on the bench at Atlético de Madrid, but he consistently makes an impact when he comes on and started a critical game for Brazil and played very well.

It does seem that Tite wants to try Pedro, as you say, at least give him a trial. However, unless the intention is to start him in a potentially easier game (say, against Cameroon), I don't see it working. He'd be dead weight on the bench.

celito repped this.
  14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One thing to consider:

European season starts in two weeks. PL, Ligue 1, Portugal and Holland start the weekend of August 5/6/7. La Liga and Serie A start 1 week later.

Evanilson will have only 4 league matches before the call-up (5 + CL if the call-up is later than usual).

Players in Brazil like Pedro and Hulk will have the quarters of the Copa do Brasil and Libertadores, the first leg of the Copa do Brasil semis, the first leg of the Libertadores semis and a ton of Brasileirão matches before the call-up. If the call-up is one week later, then both legs of the Libertadores semis will have been played.

Evanilson and anyone else in Europe who has not yet been called is unlikely to be added to the team unless the coaching staff already has them on their list or they do something amazing in 4 matches. I could see Verissimo and Gerson returning, for example, for a last chance, since they are already on the radar.

brasileiragem repped this.
  15. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018

Aah I didn't consider this.... Makes sense

16. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You do have a good point concerning Pedro’s speed, or lack thereof. But remember, like Romario, Pedro is an in the box player with brilliant milimétrico short speed explosion and a vision of the goal, plus he has the height. He’s had 9 goals in 666 minutes of play which is very impressive including 4 in the Copa Libertadores. I wouldn’t consider the teams in the Copa Libertadores as bad teams.
    Matheus Cunha in the 2021/2022 La Liga has scored 6 goals in 29 matches.

Anyway, I don’t know what TITE is thinking, nobody does, so we shall see.

17. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And 2 more by Pedro today.

18. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Gabriel Martinelli is having a great pre-season.

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I had him as captain of my cartola team this week. (Finally I got it right... had so many weeks in a row with a bad captain).

I like Pedro. I hyped him up a lot last year, but the lack of playing time, including missing the Olympics, was a huge setback. I think the key now is for him to continue to score the next month. Flamengo has a very important stretch of games coming up. Copa do Brasil vs. Athletico PR, Libertadores vs. Corinthians and difficult Brasileirão matches like Palmeiras, São Paulo and Athletico PR.

If he scores in matches like these I think Tite may call him in September. If not, then I don't see him getting that last chance.

Arsenal as a whole are, including Gabriel Jesus.

That confidence could be a huge factor, but I see it in a lot of our attacking options right now and I think Martinelli is still on the outside looking in. Personally, I hoped the last option would be another midfielder but I don't see a strong candidate compared to the forwards.

IVO ! repped this.
  20. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    TITE at the Maraca now.
    FLA VS CAP - Copa do Brasil - Quartas.
    I think you can count Gabigol out with all the goals he’s missed this first half.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is there for Pedro for sure.

22. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How do you think it went for Pedro ?

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Game was in the background. But he has been doing good.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    GJ is having a heck of a pre-season after the switch to Arsenal. 3 goals today vs Sevilla. He should have moved out of Man City for a team he is a sure starter a couple of years ago IMO.

A bit of old news, but Neymar has gotten praises for his pre-season training regiment from people at PSG. Kind of obvious he was gonna do that since it's WC in 4 months time. But as with anything Neymar, good news doesn't last long ... he got into a spat with GE over the viral video of him getting a PK in a friendly .. being called a "ghost PK" and a dive. Video that made rounds was malicious because it was from a bad angle and it was indeed a PK. The problem with Neymar is that even when he is fouled, his falls are just so damn theatric. But I had no problem with him going at GE and calling them out. They have it out for him. Another point of interest is that his case with the "Spanish IRS" over his Santos/Barca transfer will have a verdict in October. Might provide a little distraction.

Casemiro and Militão look off in the pre-season while Vin Jr. and Rodrygo looked pretty sharp.

Raphinha has had a good start at Barca scoring 2 goals already. But I haven't seen much of his dribbling yet. His finishing and left footed shots is what has impressed the most.

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the CAP game was ok for him. The most notable misses were from Gabigol. There were also chances saved off the line and hitting the post.

Gabigol is actually looking like a really good provider and second forward right now, but having a really bad stretch as a finisher.

Neymar looked good again today.

The season starts next week, big month coming up.