Seleção General Discussion, 2018 and beyond

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    #926 Brazil_1500, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    If you watched the movie, it shows in the bottom left Brazil's flag and the flag of the other country. Does that flag look like the french flag to you?

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You said "some other team that looks like Scotland." The flag of the "Scotland" team doesn't look like the Scottish flag at all.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think it's a licensing thing. They have real (well, replica I guess) Brazil jerseys and the Brazilian flag on the scoreboard.

The other team is just supposed to "look like" a real team. If I had to guess who they are trying to make it look like I would say Scotland too, based on the fake flag, the color of the blue jersey (it looks like an older Scottish jersey) and the names on the shirts.

Brazil_1500 repped this.
  4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil's upcoming games this year are all World Cup qualifiers:

Sept 2 @ Chile
    Sept 7 vs. Peru (Beira-Rio)

Oct 7 @ Venezuela
    Oct 12 vs. Uruguay (Maracanã)

November 11 vs. Colombia (Morumbi)
    November 16 @ Argentina

I hope we go in to the Chile game with our strongest line-up. In my opinion that would be:

Ederson;
    Danilo, Militao, Marquinhos, Alex Sandro;
    Casemiro, Fred, Paquetá;
    Richarlison, Neymar, Gabriel Jesus

I am not the biggest Gabigol fan, unlike other flamenguistas, but I do think he should be part of that squad and start one game (against Peru if I had to pick).

I also hope we get one or two new names (even if they're well known names from the Olympic squad), maybe a Gerson and one or two people who did well in the Olympics and can fight for posts we need to strengthen.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Is Danilo really Brazil's best rightback?

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most people will say no. I think Dani Alves will start the World Cup if he can. But as far as my prediction for this game, I try to be realistic.

Dani Alves, Danilo have the trust of the coaching staff and the performances to keep getting calls. Emerson is seen as a good option as well and if Dani Alves can't make it, he's next in line (behind Danilo).

I don't see another right-back breaking into the team unless someone has a stellar season AND fits Tite's tactics, or one of the Olympic team members (including previous call-ups) is already on their radar. Right now Gabriel Menino fits the latter criteria and is probably 4th in line.

benni... repped this.
  7. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Danilo had a great season at Juventus by all accounts but there is a problem if Daniel Alves at 38 is our best right back.

benni... and Ombak repped this.
  8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looks like the 2 TBD qualifiers have been scheduled for September and October. We will play:

@chile; @Colombia; vs. Peru in September
    vs. Argentina; vs. Uruguay; @Venezuela in October

November stays the same: vs. Colombia, @ARGENTINA;

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Has this been confirmed? I saw that too, but I haven't seen an official announcement or anything on sports news.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Between the previous speculation and because I saw it on globo esporte, I find it reliable, but not 100%.

I did check the wiki as well to see if it was updated (it's not) and if it had an alternate source, I also checked the CONMEBOL page but nothing yet, so it has yet to me confirmed.

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I checked Wikipedia as well. In any case, it's almost guaranteed to be right. CONMEBOL needs to re-schedule the matches that were suspended due to Covid-19 earlier this year.

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looks like the September triple-date has been approved and scheduled.

Brazil will play in Chile on Sept 2, and vs. Argentina and then Peru on Sept 5 and 9
    Curiously it's a rematch of all of our Copa América knockout round matches.

Call-up should be this Friday since the first match is only 3 weeks later.

I doubt we'll see new names, besides maybe an Olympic squad member (besides the ones who are already regulars, like Richarlison and Douglas Luiz).

With these three games, qualifying will be half done. We can't mathematically qualify just yet, I think, but if we expand our lead even further, we could be mathematically qualified in October. We could have a 15 point cushion or more between us and the playoff spot if we win ours and results in the middle of the pack go our way.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It’s almost ironic. Brazil assembled a highly competitive and very strong team for these Olympics, and while I wasn’t paying too much attention until the first match, online sports news and random commenters said Brazil was a candidate for gold. Brazil gets to the knockout stage, reaches the semifinal, then the final, and wins.

I remember every Olympic disappointment from 1996 to 2012. It almost seemed like some kind of curse – the country that produced Pelé, Garrincha, Romário, and Ronaldo couldn’t win an Olympic gold medal. Then it happens in 2016 at home on penalty kicks, the “curse” is lifted, Brazil has now achieved every championship its national team can compete in, and with a 1-year delay due to the pandemic, Brazil wins gold again.

All those consecutive frustrations... and a back-to-back Olympic title. Who would’ve thought?

Now, as Ombak said, it’s back to senior team duty, with WCQ around the corner. I wonder how many of these talented and quick players Tite will select. Some had already seem NT duty and others are almost guaranteed to be called up.

I’ve defended Tite repeatedly on these forums, and he’s done an excellent job in 2022 WCQ. As Ombak said, a few more results and mathematically, we are in the World Cup. But I would hope that he will incorporate some of the Olympic champions and show some tactical flexibility.

Some say Tite’s personal visit to Roger Machado and the Olympic team in 2016 was more than just a demonstration of moral support, and rather, that Tite told Machado what to do so the team would win. Whether urban legend or fact, given Tite almost assuredly watched every Olympic team match (even if not live), it will be strange if he leaves out all the Olympic players (with the exception of Richarlison, who is already a regular participant in Tite’s call-ups).

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think this is going to be Tite's most popular call-up in a long time. He actually included a number of Olympic players and Raphinha from Leeds. 25 players called for 3 games, but I'm actually surprised it wasn't more (I expected at least another full-back for the 3-game schedule)

Goleiros:
    Alisson (Liverpool)
    Ederson (Manchester City)
    Weverton (Palmeiras)

Laterais:
    Dani Alves (São Paulo)
    Danilo (Juventus)
    Alex Sandro (Juventus)
    Guilherme Arana (Atlético-MG)

Zagueiros:
    Thiago Silva (Chelsea)
    Eder Militão (Real Madrid)
    Lucas Veríssimo (Benfica)
    Marquinhos (PSG)

Meias:
    Bruno Guimarães (Lyon)
    Casemiro (Real Madrid)
    Claudinho (Zenit)
    Everton Ribeiro (Flamengo)
    Fabinho (Liverpool)
    Fred (Manchester United)
    Lucas Paquetá (Lyon)

Atacantes:
    Firmino (Liverpool)
    Gabigol (Flamengo)
    Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City)
    Matheus Cunha (Hertha Berlim)
    Neymar (PSG)
    Raphinha (Leeds United)
    Richarlison (Everton)

15. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    4 from FLAMENGO, but surprised Bruno Enrique not called.
    Dani Alves back on. When you think he is gone, he comes back, but well deserved.
    Hulk should also have been given a chance the way he is playing.
    Just finished watching the Tite entrevista com à imprensa e foi interessante.
    Glad to see some olympians in the call up.
    All in all, I’m satisfied.

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    As Ombak said, this is more than a satisfactory call-up. It's a triple-round fixture, which is unheard of in WCQ (at least since the every team vs. every team format started for the 1998 World Cup), and several Olympic champions will be in this roster.

With the summer tournaments out of the way, it's back to WCQ, and despite us not winning the continental tournament, let's keep things in perspective. Brazil reached that tournament's final two times in a row and lost only one match in both, by a 1-0 margin. No other team in CONMEBOL can make that boast. As for the Olympics, while 2016 is far in the past, it's still a testament to the quality of Brazilian players that Brazil is the current, back-to-back Olympic champion.

Four straight finals in four tournaments, with only the 2018 World Cup as the exception. Pretty damn good.

I am curious to see how players who functioned under the Olympic team's system - counterattacks based on speed - will merge into a team which has used speed and counterattacks but whose system is different. Brazilian fans galore complain about Tite being stubborn and not showing flexibility, but they can't complain now.

Winning all three matches will be very difficult, but not impossible - will it be probable? I would say that Brazil will get at least 6 out of 9 points, and if that happens, with 24 (and 25 if Brazil gets a draw), Brazil is all but in Qatar.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Due to the threats from English clubs about releasing players for this window, Tite has already called up substitutes for our players in England. They are:

GK: Everson (Atlético-MG), Santos (Athletico)
    CD: Miranda (São Paulo)
    MID: Edenílson (Inter), Gerson (Olympique de Marselha), Matheus Nunes (Sporting)
    FWD: Hulk (Atlético-MG), Malcom (Zenit), Vinicius Júnior (Real Madrid)

A few thoughts:
    • Spain and Italy are also threatening to not release players. If they do, we have a ton more to replace (including Vini Jr above).
    • I wonder if this was done to take pressure off the Brazilian players in England rather than force them to choose. Some players for other teams have already stated they will play, no matter what.
    • If players aren't released FIFA can still punish clubs. The established penalty is banning players for 5 days after the window. Clubs are probably ok with this since quarantine would be 10 days and therefore much worse.
    • As for the names above, actually quite an interesting call-up. Gerson, Matheus Nunes being the biggest newcomers and obviously Hulk's return will be very well seen by Brazilian pundits. Malcom and Santos rewarded for their Olympic roles. Everson and Edenilson not surprising when considering options in Brazil and Miranda I think is there entirely on experience, the starting duo will clearly be Marquinhos and Militão (unless of course... players in Spain also need to be replaced).
    • No surprise seeing Vini Jr. He would be lock for October thanks to his amazing start to the season in Spain, now that Tite has named replacements, the bigger surprise is that Diego Carlos wasn't named. Again, players in Spain might still need replacements, but for now he is obviously counting on them, so why not Diego Carlos?

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a mess...

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The Conmebol qualifiers might as well be played in Europe cause when you think about it, if the European leagues stand firm with this decision this can possibly have an impact on a nation making or missing the World Cup. Imagine Brazil in danger of qualifying and we can not use our best players.

Ombak repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe ... just maybe, CONMEBOL should have had some WCQ games instead of the CA in that month. Just a thought.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Juninho made it a point during the press conference to say very clearly that no players are removed from the call-up. In other words, if the players in England don't come, CBF will still expect FIFA to punish the teams appropriately (banning them from using those players for 5 days after the international window).

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So today we finally have confirmation the players in England have not traveled and will miss this window.

Meanwhile, Argentina's players will travel, some of them having come to agreements with their clubs.

Additionally, Matheus Nunes has reportedly chosen not to accept the Brazil call-up despite his initial excitement. Understandable, considering he's been in Portugal since he was 12 years old and started his soccer career there.

We'll still be favorites in all 3 games, I expect, but Argentina will have a real shot at being the first team to beat us in a home WCQ. We'll see. I'm still hopeful our gap at the top will get wider during this break and we'll basically be qualified.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And BTW ... Neymar looks way off form. He really let himself go over the summer.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vini Jr will carry us!

In all seriousness, I'd love to see a midfield of Casemiro, B. Guimarães and Paquetá, with Neymar used up front. Considering Fred is one of the missing players that line-up actually sounds likely to me.

My biggest question is what happens on the right side, with no Gabriel Jesus and no Raphinha?

I suspect that will either be Paquetá or Everton Ribeiro, and not really a 4-3-3 anymore but more of a 4-2-3-1:

Weverton;
    Dani Alves, Marquinhos, Militão, Alex Sandro;
    Casemiro, Bruno Guimarães;
    Paquetá, Neymar, Vini Jr?
    Gabigol

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Players should just get on a private plane and come. What are the clubs gonna do ? Fine them ? That's about it.