Seleção General Discussion, 2018 and beyond

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, I hear you. If the tournament is cancelled and not held again until 2024, it won't bother me much, and not just because Brazil is the defending champion. Unfortunately, unlike UEFA, CONMEBOL's situation isn't the best. Colombian protests have been going on for more than one month and the police has killed more than a few protesters there. With a better health situation, Argentina could surely host it alone as it did so 10 years ago.

Speculation is that the tournament will be held in the U.S.; several states have reopened fully or have plans to do so soon; it's summer; and, TX and FL have been open and life is normal there. And, the U.S. has the logistical know-how to set this up quickly.

2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I say just cancel the tournament.

Hexa repped this.
  3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    You guys hosting the Copa again.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It would not be a problem with me.

So it seems, and at least one guy over in your team's forums is more than a bit angry, claiming his country just "gifted" the cup to us. Made for a few chuckles.

5. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I believe you have always won it every single time you’ve hosted it.

Although it is surprising that you went 40 years without hosting it. 1949-1989.

Fans in the Real Madrid forum saying CONMEBOL is hosting these Copa’s just to get Messi to win it so he can equal Cristiano.

Fans will always say one thing or another. Also claiming how the Copa is so much poorer quality-wise than the Euros- when the last Euros was absolute trash.

To me, Copa America can boast the 4 greatest players ever to grace a football pitch have played in it - Pele, Maradona, R9, and Messi. Just my opinion.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's true that Brazil went 40 years without hosting it - and winning it. Brazil started to do well in this tournament's modern era, winning it in 1997, 1997, 2004, 2007, and then, in 2019.

Fans (some of them Argentine) were saying the tournament being held in their country would have given them a chance to end what is now a 28-year-old title drought. But 2011 showed home field doesn't always help. We Brazilians know that too.

We'll see what happens.

afar repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the truth is that it's commercially advantageous to host extra CAs with big names around (Messi in this case). If he does win it, it's also good for exposure. So it's a money and tournament exposure move. Messi attracts a lot of global viewers and CONMEBOL wants a piece of that.

IMO the CA only started becoming more organized in the late 90s and then even more in the later in the first decade of 2000. I mean ... for Brazil R9, RC, Kaka, R10 all chose to skip the tournament at one time or another. That takes prestige out of the competition. Not sure about Argentinean players. Maybe it was a Brazilian thing. I don't think you see European players from any nation skipping the competition on purpose.

While the quality of Euro's may sometimes leave something to be desired, it's just plain simple that they have more top to medium quality teams generally speaking.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

In the 1990s, it was held in every odd year. 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999... moved to 2001, then 2004, then 2007, 2011, 2015.

To parallel it with the European Championship (had the pandemic not happened, the two tournaments would have started on the same day last year), CONMEBOL decided to move it to 2020 - despite the 2016 Centenario edition.

I prefer it every 4 years. That's a reason the World Cup is so coveted - it's hard as hell, but it takes place only once every few years.

As for the 2021 tournament in Brazil, there is already controversy. One northeastern state's government announced it won't allow matches in its soil. Various state federations are answering, with diverse answers. And on the political front, the PT is saying it'll to go the Supremo Tribunal Federal to stop the tournament.

9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I’m hoping Brasil will allow a small public so that I can see few matches, especially the final.
    Can’t wait to see our selecao in action this Friday with our Flamenguistas em campo. So hoping for NEYMAR/GABIGOL combination; they’ve been tearing it up in practices.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The government has come out and said nothing is final yet. They've laid out the conditions under which it can happen and CBF would need to negotiate with individual states for venues.

To me that press conference seemed like the government trying to minimize their involvement and reduce the impact of today's negative reactions. I have no doubt if the dust settles a little and if there are positive outcomes down the line they'll be happy to take credit.

For now, the final is in Brasília, no SP or RJ matches.

I think the best hope for the tournament to be canceled is for some sensible players to speak up and say they won't go, but I imagine that short of a Messi or Suarez/Cavani (cause I don't see Brazilian players taking this kind of initiative) other players would be afraid to be the first ones to speak up.

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    As of this morning, CBF was scrambling to get locations and dates.

The infrastructure is in place, but it's a delicate situation. Opposition is strong within Brazil itself and it's not restricted to political opponents of President Bolsonaro.

I can see why some oppose Brazil hosting it. But if soccer games for Campeonatos Paulista, Mineiro, Carioca, as well as Copa Libertadores without fans are not deemed dangerous, why is it that Brazil vs. Venezuela or Paraguay vs. Chile are - if the exact same protocols are followed, including no fans?

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For Copa América specifically, CONMEBOL committed to fully vaccinating the teams and staff of all 10 participants. With the tournament 11 days away we know that not everyone will be fully vaccinated by the time the tournament starts. (Fully vaccinated is considered two weeks after your final dose of the vaccine, but even without that definition I don't know if everyone will be vaccinated in time for the tournament).

Additionally, the other tournaments may be going on, but they are not without problems. Teams are losing players to COVID in Libertadores and Brasileirão and the measures to reduce transmission of the disease are inconsistent and at Brazilian airports aren't as effective as they should be.

Just because one (or two or three) tournaments are going on doesn't mean that adding another is without risk. And all of that is before considering the financial costs (which won't even be offset by ticketing and/or tourism).

Now, in my opinion we shouldn't be playing any tournaments in Brazil right now (and many other places) and in fact some pundits have said the same. But we're also seeing (even as early as yesterday) some pundits engage in the tendency to label anything that is not 100% consistent as hypocrisy. Someone will criticize Copa América and later, on another show, they will spend time calling out people for not criticizing other tournaments.

Of course there are cynical reasons for, for example, Globo commentators not to criticize a tournament they broadcast, and I wish there had been more resistance to the Brasileirão and Libertadores and other tournaments. The one thing that stood out was the coach who went viral after his Copa do Brasil rant. But the criticisms of Copa América are still plenty and no less valid just because other bad decisions were made.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Shouldn’t everybody already be in process of getting vaccinated with the tournament being in Argentina ?

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You would think, but:

https://globoesporte.globo.com/fute...coes-e-arbitros-brasil-define-logistica.ghtml

From the article above:

Currently six teams have received at least one dose.

Brazil has some vaccinated players already, and the current plan is to provide the others with their first dose after the Paraguay game (June 8).

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The administration of President Bolsonaro has announced, officially, that the tournament will be held in Brazil.

São Paulo is out, as governor Dória vetoed the use of stadiums in his state.

Five stadiums will be used: Mané Garrincha (opening match), Maracanã, Arena Pantanal... and Goiânia. This last city has two stadiums: the Olímpico and the Antônio Accioly.

Goiânia and Brasília are not too far from each other, so this makes logistical sense. Cuiabá however is farther than Belo Horizonte from both Goiânia and Brasília. I wonder if Minas Gerais’ state government vetoed matches there.

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    de Arrascaeta has been replaced due to COVID.

That could potentially be very bad for Flamengo and Brazil, they have to hope he didn't give it to (or get it from) his Flamengo teammates...

If he did... we can start the countdown on the Brazil team coming down with COVID.

17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is @benni... still around to explain to me why Fred should or shouldn't start?

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Hey. Im one of the few (but not his best) fans of Fred at Man Utd. Looking at the rest of the Copa America squad, Fred could probably start most games.

I'd say Fred > Douglas Luiz. Neither provide a real goal threat. But Fred, as long as he doesnt have to be the deepest central midfielder, is pretty effective. He presses and wins the ball back. He can drive forward with the ball. He combines well with other players around the box. His energy on both sides of the ball is very useful.

It seems like Tite doesn't like to play Fabinho and Casemiro together in midfield? If so, then Fred should start next to one of those guys.

Ombak repped this.
  20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #895 Ombak, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    This just popped up and is potentially huge:

For those who don't speak Portuguese it says players delayed the start of training and requested a meeting with the coaching staff because they don't want to play Copa America.

Who knows how that meeting went and if we'll hear more soon.

EDIT:
    Tite addressed it in the press conference, I'm watching it now:

Apparently he said they are focusing on the qualifiers and he will express his opinion after the qualifiers. Right at the beginning of this video. I am still watching to see if there's more.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well that's interesting ...

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tite nem mente nem desmente jogadores não quererem participar da Copa America. Mas disse que houve reunião com jogadores e Presidente da CBF e só vai revelar posição deles depois do segundo jogo da eliminatória.

Pra que isso ? Todo mundo já esta sabendo.

Puta enrolation esse Tite ....

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rogério Caboclo really digging himself deeper and deeper. Apparently he was drunk and made a speech before the game, acting as if nothing had happened, just trying to motivate the players who all avoided him and didn't react to the speech:

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/colu...ario-causa-vergonha-em-atletas-e-comissao.htm

It's kind of a miracle that the team managed to perform yesterday and play a solid game (yes, unexciting at first, but overall dominant and with significant improvement when changes were made).

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I actually didn't realize that this last call up didn't include the CA. That will be done after the Paraguay game. So I guess each player can make their own decision and probably have already spoken to Tite and CBF.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Meh .. probably not much of a "traumatic" event.