Seitz to Philly?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Section 5, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this confirmed? I hear that Garth made a deal to trade him for allocation money with a promise from Philly not to take any of our guys in the expansion draft.

2. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen any official confirmation, but Philly didn't take any of our guys in the draft. That's a pretty good sign that this rumor is actually true.

3. Crazy4RSL

Crazy4RSL New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    bommadog

"Sorry Seitzy, hope u do awesome"

From Andy's twitter page just a few minutes ago, sounds like a done deal

4. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Looks like you guys traded him, Andy Williams tweeted this:

"Sorry Seitzy, hope u do awesome"

Edit: Beaten to it, probably got some decent allocation money for him, as it doesn't look like any of the expansion draft picks are going the other way.

5. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I hear they wanted Grabavoy....so that's the deal Garth made. I actually like it. Nick is awesome, but I think Seitz has waited his turn and deserves a chance to start. I'm sad and a little nervous to see him go, but I think it's a good deal by Garth. Now we need a solid backup for Nick.

6. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 to this deal all around - Great job Garth

Good for Seitz - Good for RSL - how much allocation money?

7. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea....hopefully enough to bring in a solid striker to replace Yura...and a solid backup keeper for Nick.

8. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree....I think we should start a Garth for President campaign!

9. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't go overboard on this quite yet. It really depends on how much allocation money we received. I would rather have seen who Philly picked and traded Seitz for a player plus allocation.

10. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoa - easy now - I'm ok with a Rimando for Mayor campaign but that's about it.

11. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except we know we are shallow in mid-field - and Grabs has more than shown he can excel there. Really glad we didn't lose him. Guess you could say I'm not counting on much from Mathis or Williams next year. But then again, that's what I thought this year and Bomma Dog proved me wrong.

12. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    The deal would have been for less then because Philly would have burned a draft selection.

Also, there was already a Seitz "issue" looming as he was graduated from GA. He would seem to be a $30-$40K player for RSL as the backup keeper, but he's been making $100K. And of course, he wants to start, but there is little prospect of that here in the near future. Excellent chess move in my opinion.

13. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good reason we didn't lose Grabs or Campos - We could be short either Findley or Becks in the run up to and during the World Cup, no?

Not sure on all the final roster selection / camp specifics.

I think Findley may start getting more time with the Nat'l team.

14. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Agree. Cautiously optimistic--but as always the devil is in the details.

That said...at minimum, it's a positive break from the past. RSL has tended to retain underperforming ex-GAs until their trade value bottomed out at zero. Something is better than nothing. Thumbs up.

15. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I would be a little surprised if Beckerman is in the mix, but I'm thinking Findley will be in camp come January.

16. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His name is Kyle Reynish. He had a good college career, and he played well during the Colorado game, IMO. I had heard rumors that they were thinking about trading him during the off season, but I wonder if they will now hold on to him instead of trying to train new blood.

17. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this played a huge role in the move. I wasn't too surprised when I saw that he and Beltran had graduated, but that would have been a big pill for either him (if he took a reduced salary) or RSL (if they had to overpay a backup) to swallow. I didn't see either of those things happening, so the move makes sense. That was 2 of the 11 spots RSL was forced to protect that they wouldn't have otherwise, so nice job of making it work out by Garth. The extra $$ should help in shopping around for a Yura replacement (or just paying down his new contract when he returns after Randers gets kicked down :p).

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great move for RSL, the USNT, and for Seitz in my book.
    This way we get some money, can tell Nicky he is our number one, see if Seitz is "all that", and keep a strong midfield in tack.
    Well done garth and co. I really dont care how much allocation money we got. Its better than nothing in my book. The "value" of keeping this team with great chemistry together added to whatever we got for Seitz is likely better than what we could have got in a trade for the guy.

19. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    He needs to be in camp.They need his fire . Every single player on that team has that dull dull personality like the coach.

20. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wholeheartedly agree. Even if he never plays a minute, has has to be in South Africa for that reason. Findley on the other hand could step right in and fill Charlie Davies void if his form continues to grow.

21. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    BTW... interesting news just released. RSL pick up Abe Thompson via waiver draft. RSLFO just sent out the press release (which Aero has posted in the RSL News thread).

Any idea how much Thompson makes? I'd hate for this to eat away the allocation money we just got from Philly

22. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an interesting move.

23. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    ~$63K in '09.

24. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Huh... that's reasonable. I'll be honest, I haven't watched a lot of Thompson, but for some reason I'm picturing him to be pretty similar to Campos. Am I wayyyy off on this and can anyone make me feel like this was a solid pickup, because his numbers aren't super impressive?

25. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    +1

I have been telling anyone who'll listen that Reynish is on par with Seitz as a backup and he could probably start elsewhere in the league. If you believe that, it makes this trade an even better one.

Good start to the offseason for us, IMO.